blood

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
jcdenton
Veteran Member

blood

Post by jcdenton » 20 Apr 2006, 07:24

yesterday i went to give blood for transfusion, to get 2 days off school... :D
during the checking of my blood pressure, doctor noticed that i have very normal pressure, too much normal... 120/80... and she said that everyone gets nervous before this and i was cool... it's because i wasn't afraid, so it was fine. BUT, when the other doctor checked my blood for hemoglobyne she said that i can't give blood, because my hemoglobyne level in blood is low... it has something to do with iron in blood... she said that i don't have enough blood to spare... i have only enough for me... after this i felt dizzy, and i started sweating and my face was pale... i don't know why...
what can i do about this?

karlofootball10
Veteran Member

Post by karlofootball10 » 20 Apr 2006, 14:41

maybe you could try vitamins with a lot of iron in them. Also, some foods have an abundant supply of iron(i dont know which).
if a quiz is quizzical, then what's a test?

soccerdynamite

Post by soccerdynamite » 20 Apr 2006, 14:55

yeh i would tak those little mini vitamin pills they hav the kiddie kinds! but look on diffrent pill labels for which 1 has the most iron in it.

and also did u still get the skool of because u were going 2 giv blood but couldnt?

Wiseman_philosopher

Post by Wiseman_philosopher » 20 Apr 2006, 15:31

Basically the haemoglobin is the stuff in the blood which oxygen attaches to, and this is carried around to muscles so that they can respire, and work properly.
Haemoglobin is made from iron, so if you don't have enough iron, you don't have enough haemoglobin, so oxygen cannot be taken to muscles and organs.

I advise you eat lots of meat, fish, beans and strawberries.
He who thinks too much about every step he takes will stay on one leg all his life.

medved

Post by medved » 20 Apr 2006, 15:47

I dont know if this pertains but i get dizzy after blood tests aswell, its usually because the blood sugar is too low and you just need a doughnut after :D

B Heck

Post by B Heck » 20 Apr 2006, 23:30

I would see a doctor. You could have anemia due to low iron intake or you could have something else. Best to rule out the something else.

"Iron is often also quite low among athletes whose diets are full of carbohydrates while leaving out important iron-rich foods. Vitamin supplements are often helpful.

A deficiency of iron makes us tired and apathetic, a condition known as anemia. Anemia is characterized by low levels of hemoglobin causing oxygen starvation in your tissues. Though anemia is a common condition, do not try self-diagnosing it, or try self-prescribing dietary supplements, because the same symptoms that indicate anemia can also indicate other more serious diseases,"

from www.bloodbank.com

jcdenton
Veteran Member

Post by jcdenton » 21 Apr 2006, 15:17

Wiseman_philosopher wrote: I advise you eat lots of meat, fish, beans and strawberries.
actually i eat fish and meat everyday... at least one of my meals is fish... but thanks for the advice...
i'll run a full blood test in few weeks... currently i'm using some tablets that melt in water called "IRON plus" they have 100% recomended daily intake of iron... i also need to get some folic acid...

jcdenton
Veteran Member

Post by jcdenton » 21 Apr 2006, 15:25

soccerdynamite wrote: and also did u still get the skool of because u were going 2 giv blood but couldnt?
i got just one day off, but the other day i said that i'm going for a blood check (lie).... so my easter holiday started earlier...
PS easter in serbia and russia is this weekend...

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 21 Apr 2006, 20:41

yea i used to have the same thing and i got it fixed by taking iron pills. but you have to take them regularly over like a month or so.