How to become strong and not bulky and not stunt your height

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
kloft

How to become strong and not bulky and not stunt your height

Post by kloft » 24 Mar 2006, 16:43

Here's two reasons why I'm scared to workout:

1. I don't wanna become that bulky type of guy

2. I'm scared it'll stunt my growth.

Can anybody give me a proper suggestion of a routine that I should do, because I've heard that some exercises, you don't really stunt your growth nor do you turn bulky.

I don't wanna become that buff bulky type of guy because it's harder to run. You see players like C.Ronaldo and Arjen Robben who are strong players but they're definitely not bulky cause they look skinny and yet they're strong and run fast.

I'm still growing at the same time so I don't really know what to do.

Please help me I really need 2 answers to my questions and hopefully they can be answered here! I really need to start strength training a.s.a.p

kloft

Post by kloft » 28 Mar 2006, 13:40

can anybody please help??

thanks so much

expert
Site Admin

Re: How to become strong and not bulky and not stunt your he

Post by expert » 28 Mar 2006, 15:19

kloft wrote:1. I don't wanna become that bulky type of guy
It takes so much work to become bulky that you shouldn't really worry about it.
kloft wrote:2. I'm scared it'll stunt my growth.
As far as I know, when you exercise your body releases HGH. Are you referring to the idea that weightlifting affects bone growth in very young children?
kloft wrote:I don't wanna become that buff bulky type of guy because it's harder to run. You see players like C.Ronaldo and Arjen Robben who are strong players but they're definitely not bulky cause they look skinny and yet they're strong and run fast.
Muscle is the only tissue in your body that can cause motion, so the more you have the better.

kloft

Post by kloft » 30 Mar 2006, 05:03

Thanks expert!

Well I see some of my friends and they are really bulky. But they tell me all they do is go workout 2 hours a day. But then if i started to do that, will I become bulky like them? I certainly don't want to. I mean sure, there are players that are like Wayne Rooney who are bulky and freaky good. but then that's just not me and I just want to be fit. Are you saying that as long as I work out, i will get stronger and don't have to worry about turning too buff cause I've reached an age where becoming bulky is hard already?

As for stunting growth, I always hear that if you over-workout, then it can stunt growth. what is considered overworking out, because I have no clue how many reps of weights I should do and all that, yet i really wanna workout now cause I feel I need to get stronger.

kloft

Post by kloft » 11 Apr 2006, 10:10

omg please anybody?????

zizou10-5

Post by zizou10-5 » 11 Apr 2006, 12:11

um 2 hours workng out as in wat? lifting weighs, don't lift weights for 2 hrs, for strength training u should do it 3-4 times a week and max 40 mins each session.

Atkins
Sophomore Member

Post by Atkins » 15 Apr 2006, 20:46

Maybe there parents or grandparents were bulky.
He's Big, He's Red, His feet stick out the bed! PETER CROUCH!

SV_08

Post by SV_08 » 15 Apr 2006, 22:53

I was in a similar situation at the beginning of the winter season. I've been trying to lift every other day since then and I can tell that I've gotten much more power. But, you can barely tell the difference. I've never heard of exercises that would make you bulkier than others, maybe if it worked more muscles it would, but if your putting work on your muscles they're gonna grow. Like said before, do it for 40 min, focus on the muscles you feel you need to improve on or what would help you when playing.

A-man147

Post by A-man147 » 16 Apr 2006, 00:32

being bulky has nothing to do with spped, a professional weightlifter (cant remeber who) ran the 100 m, in 10.5 sec, cause when he works out its a form of plyos, I read it in a book "Secrets of Soviets Training".to get strong but not bulky do weights with less weight but more repetitions, and I dont know what will stunt your growth, probably the squats and stuff, but for becieps and chest and back and stuff you should be good.

thrillboy
Veteran Member

Post by thrillboy » 06 Aug 2006, 18:19

Im worried about my growth also, but I do pushups, situps and exercises fro my calves every night before I sleep. I lift weights at a maximum of 25 pounds.

Fourstar

Post by Fourstar » 09 Aug 2006, 06:32

If you eat a lot you'll get more bulkier. Body builders take a large amount of protein and creatine. If you take too much protein all that protein will turn into fat but the next time you work out that will turn into muscle making you bigger. So your solution is don't eat a lot and you'll be fine.

Orandge
New User

Post by Orandge » 11 Sep 2006, 01:40

my highschool coach has us doing caisthetics or some fancy word like that basiccaly we do situps, pushups, indain jumps, and some variation of six inches.

1. for the sit ups when u reach the top touch each elbow to the oppoiste knee ( it makes it much harder) do like 4 sets of 15 or 25

2. pushups do 4 sets of 15 and get a distance of a fist away from the ground

3. indian jumps is when u assume the squat position with ur arms straight out. u jump up and land on ur toes and do it again keepin ur arms straight and trying not to touch ur heels to the ground 4 sets of 25

4. for the six inches thing lay down like ur gonna do six inches than put ur hands under the end of your but and bring ur knees up to your chest then straighten them out and hold ur legs 5 inches off the ground then bring ur legs back up. do 4 sets of 15 or 25 (if ur back start to hurt adjust ur hand untill it feels right)

if u do all this right u should really be able to feel it the next morning
Orandge

pronounced "O" randge

~Dynamic_Dinamo~

Post by ~Dynamic_Dinamo~ » 11 Sep 2006, 22:59

Hey I need similar advice except I want to get bulkier but stunt my growth. It seems I only grow vertically not horizontally no matter what I try.