osgood schlatter

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
upandcoming

osgood schlatter

Post by upandcoming » 22 Mar 2006, 23:15

I went to the doctor to find out what is wrong with my knee. He said it was osgood schlatter. It happens to people that are growing who are very active. Have any of you experienced it before and more importantly does any one know how i can get rid of it or ease the pain. I find it hard to excellerate and strike the ball and it is always hurting me. Any one know anything about it.

Ronaldinho10

Post by Ronaldinho10 » 23 Mar 2006, 16:58

http://www.expertfootball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=999

Yeh dude I've got osgood schlatters aswell :(
There's loads of things you can do to make them better. Stretching the quad muscles everyday at least twice a day and stretching the hamstrings is also very important.

You need to ice them 2 or 3 times a day for 20 mins. If they get really sore take 1 or 2 days off and do absolutely nothing.
Also cycling helps them and is also great for fitness. Swimming is also great for fitness and doesn't do your schlatters any harm. Do not do any extra running outwith when your playing football.

Youre 16 right? And you've just been diagnosed with them? Usually they are diagnosed at about 10-12.
The pain stops when you've stopped growing (ie. once the muscle growth has matched the bone growth)

The only pro footballer I know of that has suffered from osgood schlatters is Bobby Zamora at West Ham but I'm sure there are many more players who have had it.

Oh , also try to avoid playing on astroturf at any cost because it is the worst surface to play on , not just if you've got schlatters but for your ankles , knees and hips in general.

What sort of a training schedule do you have ie. how many trainings , games , individual practices etc.?

Hope this helps.
Without doubt.
Credit AC _Milan>* for the sig.

upandcoming

Post by upandcoming » 23 Mar 2006, 23:33

That is probably why I am feeling a lot of pain in the last while because I am playing daily on astro turf and gym floor for soccer training. It is winter here in Canada and I can't really help it. I have been icing and streching a lot and it eases the pain a bit. Does any one know if lifting weights with your legs and strengthening them will help get rid of the pain of just make it worse?

Ronaldinho10

Post by Ronaldinho10 » 24 Mar 2006, 16:33

Do not do leg weights - it makes the pain a lot worse. The whole idea is your quads are too powerful anyway so thats why its pulling the bone so no do not do leg weights.
Without doubt.

deano7

Post by deano7 » 24 Mar 2006, 19:11

I think i have it as well i am 15 years old, and i cant really run accerlerate or anything and my knees ache sometimes and my legs kinda seem heavy if u get what i mean?
Never Criticise your own ability.

ROIUSA
Veteran Member

Post by ROIUSA » 24 Mar 2006, 21:18

ya i got it. ive had it since i was 13. docotr said 4 months rest should heal it up. that was bull shite. 3 years later i steel have my "3rd knee" and its still sore but ull get over it, cuz u can either stop playing all together for who knows how long, or deal with it. it sucks i know
I was raised on Celtic, their history and their pride
With my culture and my faith, I wear the green & white.

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who does not want to be broken -Bobby Sands MP

Norman
New User

Treating Osgood Schlatters

Post by Norman » 24 Mar 2006, 23:53

Stretching & More STRETCHING that's the only thing that will cure it. Stand with ur feet together. Now slide ur left foot forward so that the back of ur left heel is just level with the tip of ur right toes; [ur feet should be staggered now, left in front of the right]. Now, lower urself into a squat position with ur backside as far back as u can go. To keep ur balance there u havta focus ur weight on both of ur heels. Push down on ur knees to help u balance at 1st.
:) So, the feet start along side each other. Move one foot fwd to make the back of that heel level with the other set of toes. Then drop ur weight & poke ur backside down & back [sounds stupid - looks funny BUT get everyone to do it!] then push down on both knees to focus that weight on the back of both heels. Whatever u do- DON'T BOUNCE this stretch!

This stretch WORKS- USE IT & PASS IT ON :arrow:
[/color]

upandcoming

Post by upandcoming » 25 Mar 2006, 18:36

Thanks for the help from every one

stevengerrard8

Post by stevengerrard8 » 01 Sep 2006, 18:17

well i' dunno if this is osgood schlatter, but after i bend my knees, and leave it bent for 5 seconds, and then straighten them., it hurts for 10 seconds. thats the only pain i get from em.. is this osgood schlatter, i have no problems with my knees during a game though. and i dont have random pain on them

hustler89
Veteran Member

Post by hustler89 » 01 Sep 2006, 21:04

stevengerrard8 wrote:well i' dunno if this is osgood schlatter, but after i bend my knees, and leave it bent for 5 seconds, and then straighten them., it hurts for 10 seconds. thats the only pain i get from em.. is this osgood schlatter, i have no problems with my knees during a game though. and i dont have random pain on them
http://www.expertfootball.com/forum/vie ... php?t=999

I had Osgood Schlatter, and the pain is unbearable.
What you describe doesn't sound like Osgood-Schlatter, if you don't have a small bump below the knee. Talking from experience, if you had it you would:

- Be in pain during a match.
-After heavy physical activity, the bump below your knees would radiate a dull pain, and it would hurt if you just tap them.

~Dynamic_Dinamo~

Post by ~Dynamic_Dinamo~ » 02 Sep 2006, 01:18

I had it when I was younger and missed an entire season because of it. I also cant really say I did anything to help the condition though.

Dzyer
New User

Post by Dzyer » 09 Sep 2006, 22:18

I have this aswell. First got it when I was about 12-13 and I still have it! I need to get rid of it quick so I can start training properly again and have a better chance of playing football professionally.

By the way Paul Scholes also suffered from it.

Ronaldinho10

Post by Ronaldinho10 » 19 Sep 2006, 19:12

Ronaldinho10 wrote:http://www.expertfootball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=999

Yeh dude I've got osgood schlatters aswell :(
There's loads of things you can do to make them better. Stretching the quad muscles everyday at least twice a day and stretching the hamstrings is also very important.

You need to ice them 2 or 3 times a day for 20 mins. If they get really sore take 1 or 2 days off and do absolutely nothing.
Also cycling helps them and is also great for fitness. Swimming is also great for fitness and doesn't do your schlatters any harm. Do not do any extra running outwith when your playing football.

Youre 16 right? And you've just been diagnosed with them? Usually they are diagnosed at about 10-12.
The pain stops when you've stopped growing (ie. once the muscle growth has matched the bone growth)

The only pro footballer I know of that has suffered from osgood schlatters is Bobby Zamora at West Ham but I'm sure there are many more players who have had it.

Oh , also try to avoid playing on astroturf at any cost because it is the worst surface to play on , not just if you've got schlatters but for your ankles , knees and hips in general.

What sort of a training schedule do you have ie. how many trainings , games , individual practices etc.?

Hope this helps.
To add to this. I recently found out that Paul Scholes (as was mentioned above) had osgood schlatters and also Steven Gerrard had it. So it is possible to play in top youth academys with osgood schlatters. If Scholesy and Stevie G and Bobby Zamora then so can anyone. It goes away when you stop growing so just be patient :D
Without doubt.

hustler89
Veteran Member

Post by hustler89 » 19 Sep 2006, 20:14

Yup, my osgood has cleared away thankfully, so there is still hope for other osgood sufferers, so its not all doom & gloom!

There's an ever so slight bump below the knee, but it soen not hurt while I play, or afterwards.

And basically, like Ronaldinho10 wrote, just be patient it will clear away.

dancergirl
New User

Post by dancergirl » 13 Dec 2008, 00:20

I went to the doctor and they said I had it, but I dont really have a bump below my knee, and its not tender to touch. so idk... My quad mucsle hurts so bad now tho. So i was wondering if this really sounded like osgood schlatter?