about BMI and other health things

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Striker1010
New User

about BMI and other health things

Post by Striker1010 » 16 Mar 2006, 23:56

i currently am between 5'4 and 5'5 and weigh between 155-158 pounds. I have lots of muscles in my lags and in my abs. I just also have fat. I've toned down to only fat on my stomach and i cant seem to burn that. so i decided to use the BMI test, and i recieved a 26.5. thats under overwieght. i got interested and started to plug in pro soccer players hieghts and wieghts to make sure that i wasnt too bad. turns out that ronoldo, maradona, ect all have BMI of atleast 25 if not 26. so my question is how do i tell if im in good shape and if im not in risk of diseases

secondly i would like to lose weight im not sure if i want to just lose wieght or put on muscle i know i could use muscle and i do want to look nice and ripped how do i do that aerobic or anaerobic? i lift weights with my team and try to run a mile afterwards but lately ive been to tired cuz coach wants us to max out. i try to only eat between 1600-1800 calories im only 14 almost 15 so what do i do i also play indoor games every week adn practice in a gym with my team every week also.

thirdly i want to grow a little bit. i heard that if you lift too much at my age that you'll shrink is that true or is that a myth i think if i grow to 5'6 ill be fine doctor says that i might grow 4 inches in one year will lifting weights cause me to shrink im supposed to be like 5'9 to 5'11 and 160-180 pounds when im done growing is that too big for a soccer player and what do you have to do to play collegiate soccer division in a college that has a good academic program im thinkin like ivy leagues and stuff like that esp. since im taking like ap classes adn im only a freshman.

sorry for jumping everywhere lol thanks

Mulatto_Magic

Post by Mulatto_Magic » 17 Mar 2006, 00:05

For individual training or training in a certaing area of you body theres lots of great sites such as overspeed.com. that site includes nutrition as a athlete that you should mantained. So that should help.

Hey man I see your new sign up on Campeao Futebol as well as this site

http://forums.cjb.net/campeaofutebol.html
see you in the forums
~`Legend In The Making`~

B Heck

Re: about BMI and other health things

Post by B Heck » 17 Mar 2006, 18:59

Striker1010 wrote:i decided to use the BMI test, and i recieved a 26.5. thats under overwieght. i got interested and started to plug in pro soccer players hieghts and wieghts to make sure that i wasnt too bad. turns out that ronoldo, maradona, ect all have BMI of atleast 25 if not 26. so my question is how do i tell if im in good shape and if im not in risk of diseases
BMI is not very useful for muscular people. I laughed when the nurse marked me down as obese 3 weeks after I had just won my third state powerlifing title and my bodyfat was like 15% and my resting pulse was under 60. Percent bodyfat is a better measurement. If you are really worried about numbers, resting pulse, blood pressure, and cholesterol are all useful measures that can highlight some disease risks.
Striker1010 wrote:secondly i would like to lose weight im not sure if i want to just lose wieght or put on muscle i know i could use muscle and i do want to look nice and ripped how do i do that aerobic or anaerobic?
Any exercise is good for burning calories. Anaerobic strength training is important for keeping or building muscle. It sounds like you get plenty of exercise and are keeping calories low. Make sure those calories are good calories. If trying to build muscle, eat 5 small meals a day, each with about 30 grams of protein. See http://maggiewang.com/175-healthy-recipes/ for meal plans.
Striker1010 wrote:thirdly i want to grow a little bit. i heard that if you lift too much at my age that you'll shrink is that true or is that a myth i think if i grow to 5'6 ill be fine doctor says that i might grow 4 inches in one year will lifting weights cause me to shrink im supposed to be like 5'9 to 5'11 and 160-180 pounds when im done growing is that too big for a soccer player and what do you have to do to play collegiate soccer division in a college that has a good academic program im thinkin like ivy leagues and stuff like that esp. since im taking like ap classes adn im only a freshman.
Weightlifting will not stunt your growth unless you damage a growth plate (the growing part of a bone, at the end). This is extremely unlikely. Running and jumping puts more stress than weightlifting does on your bones and joints. Steroids completely shut down growth plates, so that is one more reason to avoid them. It is important that you eat what your growing body needs - protein, calcium, etc.

Weightlifters are usually short because short people make great weightlifters. Tall people who lift weights don't get shorter, just bigger and stronger.

It is great to see you thinking about your future. This will be a great benefit in setting realistic goals and then focusing on doing whatever it takes to achieve those goals. It's going to take great grades, test scores, and athleticism to get into an Ivy League, so stay focused.