The Beep Test

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

I'd like to revive this topic, for I have some questions about the beep test. I am considering purchasing it, but I don't quite understand it yet. I do know that there is a set distance of 20m, but that's about it.

What is the point of the beep? Is it that you have to make it the full 20m before you here it?
What are levels and shuttles?
How exactly do you calculate your score?
Is it worth purchasing for someone who is trying to asses and improve their fitness?

ForzaMilan
Veteran Member

I think there are different versions of the beep test, because I've heard people talking about scored of 100, but the one at my school goes only to the mid 20's(basically impossible).

For my beep test, you start out at the first cone, and then the first beep goes, and the recording says level 1.1 and then you slowly jog to the cone 20m away, and once it beeps again, you turn around and go back to the other cone. We pace ourselves so we are constantly running, and not waiting at the other cone for the beep to go.

Once you get back to the cone, it beeps again, and says level 1.2, getting gradually faster every beep, it gets pretty tough around level 10, because by that point it's going pretty fast and you're already pretty tired.

You stop once it beeps before you reach the other cone.

Lexo797

Forzamilan, 100 is impossible to do. I think you are mistaking level 100 for 100 shuttles which is around level 10.
5 out of 4 people have difficulty with fractions.

williampro

i hate beep test seriously wow....but i always love doing it when i feel like it..........my record is like 11.8

BGbeast23
Veteran Member

My friend told me that Landon Donovan set the record in High School with a score of 26 or so. Is that true?

deano7

well it only goes up to 21 lol and my best is 12.3... anything over about 13 is good for a professional
Never Criticise your own ability.

AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

ajc wrote:I did this in P.E. last week. I did 100 times across, don't know what level it was though, any one know? I probably could have done more but by that time i'd beaten everyone in the class by 20 and they said we could play soccer when we finished running so.........But the record at my high school is 120 something, set by this one kid who is all-state for track (at sprinting not distance by the way)
I'm sorry i realized this was posted like a year ago, but I have a question for ajc. I'm assuming this was still when your in highschool right? I'm surprised the record is 120, at my middle school last year i finished top three at the beep test, and the last guy to stop got around 120, a little less i believe, and he was in 8th grade. Mind you, he's on one of the best teams where i live but still, I had no idea he did so well, comparable to highschool students. Me, I got around 80 then, in eigth grade, we haven't done the test this year so i'm not sure if i've improved or not.
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals
"The ability to succeed requires the realization of what one wants and the passionate desire to attain it."

barcahooligan
Veteran Member

well in my school, if im correct, 7 shuttles= 1 level......
sig by 2brown347

ajc
The Philly Flyer

I have to run the beep test tomorrow night, representatives from Nike SPARQ are coming to my team's training. We have to do thesetests.

AmericanFutballer I posted that during my sophomore year in high school I believe. I think 120 was just the highest anyone had done out of all the gym classes that year (at my school you only have to do the beep test in gym freshmen and sophomore year so it wouldn't include how juniors or seniors did). I doubt anyone was actually trying their hardest.

ianthai123
Sophomore Member

AusSkills wrote:yes 17.4 is possible, i know cause theres a guy from my school who was really good at endurance running,
Yes 17.4 is possible and I think your friend from school could have done it

AusSkills wrote:normally this happend about 13-15 but he could have kept going till the tape ran out i reckon
Kept going till the tape runs out... NO....
it goes to like 23

| Ian Thai | #Desire #Dedication #Discipline

MiKeOnE29

yeah there's 23 levels. We did it at school a few times and I think the most I ever did was level 11.5 or something, it just tests your general fitness although endurace runners would obvouisly get a higher score.
J wrote:Here is the beep test in action at the US national mens training camp:

http://ussoccer.com/sights/showVideo.jsp_40-18.html
What! the person that won it only got level 16! This guy at my school who was a goalkeeper and was in the Bristol City academy when they were in league 1 did the beep test at my school and got to level 19 or something

ajc
The Philly Flyer

There must be a couple different versions of the beep test. When we did it at my club I made it to level 20 and the fittest person got out on the first beep of level 22.

David_93

Yeah, it must be different versions, because when I did the test I took it on 11.5. I'll do it again in a couple of days. I think the guys on the USA team or what it was, did the same test as me, because 16 seems possiple for a pro on the test I did. They said he was a monster who did 16, but when ajc do 20, what is he then?? If it's the same test, he must be God, but clearly he's not, so it's differents versions.

Rush
New User

The issue with normal beep tests is that they are not soccer specific. I would say the one you did at school was more continuous in nature, in that you were always jogging. Soccer is not like this. I don't recommend doing the beep test for training because it is continuous in nature. Science has shown that doing long distance running can make you a slower athlete and doing the beep test is basically long distance running. Another issue is if that is done too much you might get overtrained.

A better option for testing for soccer is the yo yo intermittent recover test. Science has shown that it is specific to soccer. The issue with using it for training is if you go to the max everytime. This could cause over training.

Taylor
www.elite-soccer-fitness.com

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

I got to level 15.6 today when I ran the beep test. Not great, but for me it was the first time since coming back from injury so I'm not too concerned.
God damn brewery!!!