In season workout plan rough draft

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
B Heck

I'm trying to adapt my workouts to playing once a week and still make gains.
This is what I've been doing for the last few weeks.

Day 1: Weightlifting - chest, lats, delts, abs. Long slow run.
Day 2: Some running and skills with kids, but nothing strenuous
Day 3: Weightlifting - Heavy squats, heavy bench press, plyos and agility sprints.
Day 4: Hurt like hell. Easy jog, play footie with kids, think up excuses to do nothing.
Day 5: Weightlifting - lats, triceps, biceps, abs. Skills and agility with high intensity.
Day 6: Very little, some skills or moves I'd like to use tomorrow, nothing strenuous.
Day 7: Game

Notes
Day 1 Chest workout is 10 sets 3 reps (10x3) of bench press at 65% of 1 rep max to develop speed, but not to get sore. Lats are 5x10 pulldowns/pullups and 5x10 rows. Delts 3x10 front, 3x10 side, 3x10 rear dbbell or cable raises.

Day 3 squats are at 80-85% of 1RM for 3x5 (also 5 warmup sets to get to work weight). Bench press is same, 3x5 at 80-85%. If knees and ankles feel good, I go to the park and run up hills, jump off picnic tables, and sprint, hop, skip, high step, etc. until fatigue becomes a problem (speed and height become pathetic). Otherwise stay in gym and do 3x5 deadlifts or 5x3 power cleans.

Day 5 weightlifting is very high intensity (but not really heavy) anaerobic giant sets. Lats are one nonstop set of (A) 5 reps of pullups, (B) 12 reps of cable rows, (C) 40 reps of straightarm pulldowns done A-B-A-C-A-B-A-C-A-B-A-C. Takes 10-15 minutes. Triceps are (A) close grip press (B) pushdowns (C) something really easy. Biceps are (A) barbell curls, (B) DBell curls, (C) machine curls. "A" sets are fast and explosive, "B" are rhythmic, "C" sets are slow with a 4 count per rep.
For skills and agility, I have been using a 4-wall racketball court while the weather is bad. A buddy and I play racketball rules, but with 2 or 3 bounces, or billiards - try to keep 1 or 2 size 3 balls moving by hitting with a full size ball, and/or wall drills, etc.

The volume of bench pressing should be more. If I really wanted to build that lift, I would make Day 2 a grueling heavy bench day with a light speed day on Day 5. I don't have the time and benching heavy (315+) makes my shoulder ache.

If I didn't have a job and a family, I would split the workouts into shorter morning and evening sessions.

rrcalcio
Sophomore Member

Sounds very comprehensive. It looks like you'll be getting big gains out of this. On day 5, is it a circuit program? also is squats the only leg workout you do? You many want to add plyometrics, maybe on day 2? Just a thought. Very well done

romania_soccer

What do you think of adding some active recovery as very light jog or swimming and stretching on day 6?

Well basically running with kids might be the same as you wrote on day 2.

Apart from that, it's all there! Good job!
B Heck wrote:This is what I've been doing for the last few weeks.
So did you make any gains?
Immediately start dealing with it.

Sputnik

B_Heck maybe youve explained this in the forms before i joined, but thats itsnt my area of knolwedge... just wanted to ask whats your level of footy/how serious is it for you?
  (¯`v´¯)
   `·.¸.·´
  ¸.·´¸.·´¨)    ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´      (¸.·´      (¸.·´´·¸¸.·¨¯`

B Heck

Sputnik: I play for fun and for motivation to train. I turn 40 in a few months and this beautiful game makes exercise more fun. I play with a very diverse group ages 15 to 50. We have kids from Bosnia, Russia, Brazil, Kuwait, high school and collegiate guys, a few former semi-pro Brits, a 50 year old Dutchman you do not want to mess with, and many others. The skills and experience level of most are so much better than me, the only way I can keep up with them is by being stronger and faster. They might nutmeg me, but I will turn and get to the ball before they do.

In the last few years I have become very involved in coaching youth soccer. This forum has given me lots of great ideas and helped me to understand the minds of teenagers. I've spent 22 years learning how to rehab injuries and make myself bigger, stronger, and faster. This forum gives me a chance to fine tune my ideas and my understanding so that I can help some of the local kids move on to the next level.

rrcalcio: Plyos the day before squats doesn't work. There is not enough time for recovery. Day 5 is a possibility. Giant sets are kind of a circuit, but all of the exercises are for the same muscle group. They are done nonstop. They are an advanced bodybuilding technique for someone in a hurry who wants to be very sore the next day or two. I consider game day to be a pretty high intensity leg day. Day 5 agility uses legs quite a bit. I tried doing light squats or lunges on Day 1 and/or day 5, to loosen things up and work on speed, but all that did is make my back stay sore all the way to Day 3 and 7. The basic design of this schedule is for legs to be fully recovered and ready for maximum effort on Day 3 and Day 7. By cutting the squat workout "short" at only 3 sets, I still have enough gas to hit plyos and sprints pretty hard for about 45 minutes.

romania_soccer: More emphasis on stretching on day 2 and 6 is a good idea. I'll have to look into that. There is a Yoga class on Day 2.... I try not to deplete energy stores before games, so no endurance work on day 6. Just a little ball work so I have a decent touch the next day.

Training plans are always a work in progress, but this basic template feels pretty good. My squats are climbing again (420+ with no belt or knee wraps but way down from my powerliftng days of 625 for 5 reps in full battle gear, weighing 30 pounds more) and I feel pretty confident in my speed, quickness, and injury resistance. However, every program goes stale eventually, so keep the ideas, questions, and criticism coming.

rrcalcio
Sophomore Member

Is it "better" to work on agility/speed before weights or after? With my training i'm at a loss as to whether to catch the daylight and do some sprints, or to weightlift first and then sprint as its getting darker. Just wondering what your thoughts are. Also, you might want to try stretching after you get out of the shower. It's helped me a lot, especially from getting sore muscles the next day.

J
Admin

I normally do sprints before wieghts because you're not gonna get the full affect of the sprinting out of you're muscles and body. I would think it would be best to make sure you're body is recovered from the wieghts before you do hardcore running. Doing a light jog for recovery is probably ideal after wieghts, thats what i do anyway.

B Heck

I would separate weights and sprints if doing either to exhaustion. Combining them means that fatigue is going to affect the intensity of the second one. It only works for me because I don't exhaust myself in the weight room. 3 sets of 5 reps, none of the sets to failure, leaves me feeling pretty good. Flipping things around, if I kept the plyos and sprints short and sweet, I would still be able to squat pretty well. Some weightlifters use sprints and plyos as a warmup to get their nervous system amped up. In some ways, you can look at my squats as a warmup that enhances my plyos and sprints. After blasting up twice my bodyweight fifteen times, running up hills and jumping feels pretty effortless. The key is not to tire yourself out. In the offseason, I would split my leg work into a high intensity speed day and a high volume marathon weightlifting day focused on increasing hypertrophy. As a season approached this would transition into more sport specific movements.

zizou10-5

i'm gonna go to the gym this month, mostly to do my legs cos i got dumbells at home and weights, can u guys give me advise like what to squat how many reps and leg press, leg extension, leg curls and wat else. A friend hus sorta an expert in bodybuildinh, he is a sprinter, told me to do 4-6 reps going down slowly and exploding up, like 3 sets on squats, 3sets on leg press, 5 sets on leg curls and 2 sets on leg extension.
???
Sorry for buttin iin here, if u wat i'll delte this post, i thought this waas related so yeah.

Horris
Sophomore Member

i am not an expert on body building but i have been doing it for a while at that is exactly what i would do. and if you have the energy afterwards see if you can go for a light short jog so your mucles wont cramp even if you strecth going for the jog helps the endurance heaps.
"The pain won't last forever but the memories will"

zizou10-5

^Okay thanks man, just one question, u know for squats like, is it dangeous, cos i will be doing mybe when i start off 55 kilograms, i am 15 btw, i've done squats with dumbells and alight barbell, i am worried i will drop 55kg.

Horris
Sophomore Member

the only person who can tell if your rewady to lift a certain weight is yourself.

what you can do is to work your way up to 55kg in a number of reps, like on the first set only do 35kg then up to 45kg then 50kg then up to 55 if you feel there is still something left in the tank
"The pain won't last forever but the memories will"

zizou10-5

ok^ thanks man.

B Heck

I was recently invited to play on a local men's team in a rec league (nothing really serious). They liked my sprint speed and put me at right back for our first game last night. They like to try to get offsides calls, so I spent most of the game running down breakaways. I'm going to have to do more interval training. I made a few stupid mistakes just because I was exhausted. It still felt great to play at this level. I now play on Wednesdays and Sundays, so I guess I can only weight train legs on Friday. We'll see if my beat up old body is up to it.

BTW, all of the great wall and cone drills on this site really helped. I really didn't think I would ever be able to hang with teens and 20 somethings again. My game is much different than it was 20 years ago, better in a lot of ways. Except, oh-my-gawd am I sore today.

My 40th birthday is Saturday. :cry:

But we won 3-2! :D