Muscle Fibre tear

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
B Heck

rules2bbroken wrote:Bheck, i took off my cast last month!
I'm glad to hear this. Felt weird at first, didn't it?

rules2bbroken wrote:lunges, squats and cycling is the stuffs that i was told to do. And to stand on my injured leg, to gain coordination or smth..
Yeah, you have to relearn how to use it. The pain and atrophy cause all kinds of changes to your movement patterns. Cycling is a great early rehab exercise. My car broke down during the first month of my rehab after my 2nd knee surgery so I rode a bike several miles each day to get around the university. My progress took off. There was a pole vaulter and football player who had the same surgery the same week as I. We all did the same rehab exercises at the docs office, but my progress took off compared to those two. I credit the bike. I found squats safer and easier to do at first than lunges. Lunges require more balance and coordination and lighter weights. Here's a good list of leg exercises to try:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ThighW ... chor172012

Try an exercise. See how many repetitions you can do up to the point that you get shaky and unable to do one more with good form. Do 3-4 sets of about half that many repetitions. Rest a day and then try to do 3-4 sets with 2 more repetitions each set. When reps get to 3 easy sets of 30, pick a harder exercise or use some small hand weights. All of the barbell exercises can also be done with dumbbells. Squats are easier than lunges which are easier than single leg squats.

A building with lots of stairs and an elevator can be useful too. Climb up the stairs but take the elevator down.

if something causes a sharp pain, mistracking, popping etc., don't do it. I have never been able to do seated situps where a pad presses against my shin. My knee pops evey time. Work hard, keep records of your progress, set goals, make a plan, recheck your records and rewrite your plan for achieving those goals every 4-6 weeks. Make one of your goals to be stronger and faster than you were before so this can't happen again.

rules2bbroken
Sophomore Member

How about
4x10 lunges
4x10 rear lunges
4x10 walking lunges
4x10 pile squats
4x 1min 'wall squats'
( i dont whats its called but, its the one , that you have your back on the wall and your suppose to somehow like sit on an invisible chair ?)
* balancing on my injured leg
* Climb up my flat, which is 12 sorey high ( should i run up? or just walk up ?)
*cycling around my neighbourhood which is less than 5km

thanks (:

B Heck

Have you tried to do any of those exercises? The lunges might be difficult and even risky if you are really weak and unstable. Climbing the stairs of your building slowly is a great way to start. So is cycling. The important thing is to stay within a safe zone where you do not risk injuring yourself, yet progress over time to more difficult exercises. And progress over time by making the exercises more difficult with higher reps and more weight. Workouts should be 20-60 minutes long, 3 times a week. Choose one primary exercise as your strength exercise and do 4x10, then choose other assistance exercises to work other things like balance, endurance, flexibility, muscle balance, etc. Focus on increasing the difficulty of the primary exercise every workout - increase weight, increase reps, or choose a harder exercise as you progress. Always start with something that is too easy. Be patient, adding a few percent to something 3 times a week adds up faster than you think.

Even though they seem impossible right now, after several months of consistent training, you should be able to do these: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Qua ... Squat.html