Muscle Fibre tear

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
rules2bbroken
Sophomore Member

I am suffering from patella dislocation. Umm knee dislocated ? And it seems that my muscle fibre is torn as well. Yesterday i went for the first follow up and the doc placed a backslab at the back of my leg to help my leg straighten and stabilised because i could never straighten my leg after the incident.

I am told to ice it for every 2-3 hours but when i ice it i dont feel that its been iced cause theres lotsa layers of bandage.

Now, i am bed ridden most of the time. The back ot my knee hurts too and i worry whether its another muscle tear as its at the same side.

Help ? or maybe any information that i can take note of ?

B Heck

Patience, until the swelling goes down there is not a lot you can do. Downtime is a great time to start educating yourself about this type of injury, possible complications, rehabilitation strategies, etc. The more you know, the better you and your doctor can discuss your rehab. Take charge of this injury by learning as much as you can. Ask intelligent questions when you see your doc again, like "can I strengthen the vastus medialis to prevent this from happening again" and "how soon can I start working on range of motion"

Here is a good place to start: http://www.athleticadvisor.com/Injuries ... ations.htm

Lots of good info here: http://medlineplus.gov/

If you have to use crutches, just remember CRUTCHES FIRST when going down steps.

P.S. Whenever my knee is swollen, it also hurts in back.

rules2bbroken
Sophomore Member

Basically, i can't see whether the swelling has gone down as theres a somewhat cast-bandage on my leg.

I was told to tighten my thighs now and then. Like a few reps to make it stronger ?

And i am quite new involving in the soccer scene. So its quite a disapointment .

rules2bbroken
Sophomore Member

Basically, i can't see whether the swelling has gone down as theres a somewhat cast-bandage on my leg.

I was told to tighten my thighs now and then. Like a few reps to make it stronger ?

And i am quite new involving in the soccer scene. So its quite a disapointment .

goldboots7

I know how it feels man i just got back from a nagging thigh injury i injured it way back april 05 and did pysio for 3 months and luckly got back in time for my trials but then in late september i sprained my ankle and in december re-injured my thigh again but im back now all i can tell you is go to a rehab center and dont rush

My thigh injury back in april was a 2nd degree tear so i was very lucky to back in less than 4 months.

1st degree is minor and could just be min 1 week to a month
2nd degree is mild and can take anywere from 2-4 months to heal if you take pysio
3rd degree is very serious and can take 4-6 months even might need surgery.

yours sounds minor but i whould still take it easy and stay off of it until your pysiotharapist says its alright.
Stats: 19Goals 1YC 1RC 23GP

B Heck

rules2bbroken wrote:Basically, i can't see whether the swelling has gone down as theres a somewhat cast-bandage on my leg.

Just days after both of my knee surgeries we started working to keep things from getting weaker (the weaker you get, the longer rehab takes). The first exercise is to hold your leg straight (which is easy if it is casted or braced) while sitting on a flat surface; raise it a few inches and hold for a count of 10 seconds. This works the quads. Do 10 or 20 of those. Turn over, lay flat, and and do the same thing for the hamstrings and glutes. Do this once or twice a day. These exercises were made progressively harder over several weeks by lengthening the hold time to 30 seconds and adding ankle weights. Ice your knee immediately following rehab exercises. Once the bandages are off and you can bend your knee, I'll write more.

Keep a positive attitude and everything will get better.

rules2bbroken
Sophomore Member

oh yea, gold boots my doc said smth about that. mine is degree2 or something.

I dont think i can turn over. Incase i couldnt control and drop the leg, and there'll be direct impact between my knee and the ground XD.

So what about the ''clenching'' of my thigh ? What is it for ?

Thanks for all your information.=) sorry to bother you tho.

B Heck

rules2bbroken wrote: I dont think i can turn over. In case i couldnt control and drop the leg, and there'll be direct impact between my knee and the ground XD.

So what about the ''clenching'' of my thigh ? What is it for ?
"clenching your thigh" is a milder form of lifting your leg up a few inches by using the quadriceps muscles. You really are going to have to learn about the anatomy and physiology of your leg if you are serious about fully recovering. It is important to strengthen these muscles, because they hold your kneecap in place and stabilize the knee. The exercises I described can be done in bed. You can also kneel on your good leg, rest on your elbows, and extend your leg with little danger to anything except your toes.

Do what you can, try to do a little more every day. Rehab is a balancing act between allowing damaged tissues to heal while carefully strengthening the surrounding muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Things that cause severe or sharp pains should be stopped, worked around, or made easier. When they first unbandaged by knee, the physio had me sit on the edge of an exam table and slowly bent my leg. The pain completely paralyzed my thigh muscles and I was unable to raise my foot. Then the physio pushed against my foot while I pushed back. That didn't hurt much. When he let go, I could raise my foot.

rules2bbroken
Sophomore Member

i am wearing this splint till the 20th of Feb,
and i was informed too that the "toturing pain" period would come after i take this thing out. Because they'll try to bend my leg, work on my ,motion of range etc
Also, the injury is on my left leg, and i am left legged ): . Naturally left legged .I was reading up on this patella dislocation, i am kinda freaked out what is actually happening
to my knee. If they were recurrent dislocations [higher chance] , i may have to go for surgery .

So i probably have to get back to basics for football. How long still should i get back to the football trainings ?

By the way, is there any exercises i can do ? Maybe for my arms or something. because i am really getting fustrated with myself, hahas, cause usually i am either jogging in sch or smth, but its been a few wks since i haven't ,so its quite nerve racking. ahhas

B Heck

rules2bbroken wrote:i am wearing this splint till the 20th of Feb,
The good thing about crutches is your arms and shoulders get pretty strong.
:D

rules2bbroken wrote:Also, the injury is on my left leg, and i am left legged ): . Naturally left legged .
This is a great opportunity to even things out make your right foot as good as your left.
rules2bbroken wrote:If they were recurrent dislocations [higher chance] , i may have to go for surgery .
Stronger muscles around the knee will help stabilize things. I went 7 years without an anterior cruciate ligament. I played my senior year of high school without it. This would not have been possible without strength training.
rules2bbroken wrote:How long still should i get back to the football trainings ?
It's not a date on a calendar, but a process with a series of milestones. Depends on how dedicated you are and how severe the injury. I would consider every rehab exercise "football training".
rules2bbroken wrote:By the way, is there any exercises i can do ? Maybe for my arms or something. because i am really getting fustrated with myself, hahas, cause usually i am either jogging in sch or smth, but its been a few wks since i haven't ,so its quite nerve racking. ahhas

I know the feeling. Most bodyweight exercises and running require your leg, but swimming and many weight training exercises do not. Would you consider joining a fitness center, using the school weightroom, or something similar?

rules2bbroken
Sophomore Member

The good thing about cruthces is your arms and shoulders get pretty strong
Oh really ? Then i'll start usingit more often around the house.Hahas.How many reps ? LOLS.

This is a great oppurtunity to even things out make your right foot as good as your left
The thing is, my left leg isnt that good yet, i was stil training it up =X
I know the feeling. Most bodyweight exercises and running require your leg, but swimming and many weight training exercises do not. Would you consider joining a fitness center, using the school weightroom, or something similar?
Ive nt been to sch because of this =) yay !hahas. Cause my classes are all located at the top 3rd and 4th floors so it would be quite troublesome for me to climb up the stairs .
Umm. i dont really consider joining a fitness center at my age yet. 14 ? It'll be abit weird for me. I've only my houes. Maybe i could train up my stomoache and back ? Do you know of any exercises that work on this ? :idea:
Oh yah,
PS: One of my leg is straight =X
Lotsa xercises require bending of the leg. i am not really sure what are possible for me to do.

B Heck

rules2bbroken wrote: Umm. i dont really consider joining a fitness center at my age yet. 14 ? It'll be abit weird for me. I've only my houes. Maybe i could train up my stomoache and back ? Do you know of any exercises that work on this ? :idea:
Oh yah,
PS: One of my leg is straight =X
Lotsa xercises require bending of the leg. i am not really sure what are possible for me to do.
A fitness center or health club has a wide variety of equipment that can adapt to your needs as well as staff members that can show you how to use everything. 14 is a good time to start. Your options at home are pretty limited. The reason I first walked (limped) into a health club was because it had the same leg exercise machines that my physical therapist had.

You should get out more. Getting around on crutches really is good exercise for right now. Going up stairs is serious cardio.

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Just stay positive and exercise on Ur crutches will be gd... like what BHeck my man has just said...

If I were U, I'll just be optimistic and will try to minimize movement on the left leg... but do the leg raising exercise though... cos to me, even when the bandage has been taken off, I still will not touch the ball for another 3 mths for it to REALLY heal properly...

Pencil
New User

I believe you need to listen to your doctor's advice and ice it every 2-3 hours because it has a therapeutic effect. Also, try and talk to others so as to regain morale and stay passionate about the game.

rules2bbroken
Sophomore Member

Bheck, i took off my cast last month!

Recently,
lunges, squats and cycling is the stuffs that i was told to do. And to stand on my injured leg, to gain coordination or smth..