quick question

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Chooka
Sophomore Member

For plyometrics, do you need to have a strength base before you start?
Thanks
Chook

B Heck

Chooka wrote:For plyometrics, do you need to have a strength base before you start?
Thanks
For high intensity plyos, Yes. Lower intensity, maybe not. Depends on age, body size, and fitness level. More here: http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~j15/prep/prep_index.htm

Chooka
Sophomore Member

Thanks.
If you work up from low intensity to high intensity over time, is the strength base unneccesery?
B Heck, I assume you've done plyometrics, I'm just wondering how effective they are in developing power?
Chook

B Heck

Chooka wrote:Thanks.
If you work up from low intensity to high intensity over time, is the strength base unneccesery?
B Heck, I assume you've done plyometrics, I'm just wondering how effective they are in developing power?
Plyos don't build strength as much as they improve your ability to use what you have. Think of muscle fibers as motor units. Plyos train your neuromuscular system to turn on more motor units more quickly. You still need to weight train to build more motor units. Supercharging a V8 engine does more than turbocharging a little four banger.

I've done everything from depth jumping to explosive squats with giant rubber bands attached to the bar. I have used plyos to enhance the gains made in the weight room and to build confidence while rehabilitating a ruptured achilles. They work best for me when used sparingly once a week. However, there are plenty of athletes who benefit from plyos without weightlifting.