Cone cuts

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
jdefoe
Forum groupie

Here are 2 of my acceleration drills:

Zigzag Cuts:

Most of you guys know this simple drill. Run at full speed to the cone, open your hips, plant your foot and "explode" like you are exploding away from a defender. It is very game realistic since it mimics the movements you will make on the soccer field.

The Drill:
Set up 10 cones diagonally to each other about 10 metres apart, just like in the picture. Follow the correct technique above. You spring to cone 1, then 2, then 3....

The next drill is is a bit more complicated:

There's no name for it, so i'll call it the Jdefoe Drill

Here is goes:

Place 4 cones to make 4 lines that are 3 metres apart in witdth in a squarelike shape. Then, place 4 cones in the middle.
X1 ________3m____________X2

4----------------->xx
cones------------>xx

X3_________3m____________X4

(Length and width are both 4m, therefore the dimensions are 4x4)
X= a cone
Start at cone 1, sprint to the middle, take a cone, and put it right next to cone 4, then run back into the centre and take the next cone and bring it to cone 3, then do the same and bring it to cone 3, then cone 4. When the sequence is over, go back to cone one, take the cone that you placed next to cone 1, and bring it back to the centre. Do this until all the original cones are back in the middle.

The technique is the same as in the drill above, open your hips, plant your turning foot, and explode...

on another note, i've lost ideas to make tutorials for, but i'll take requests because i'm almost all out of ideas.

good luck and take care,

JDefoe
Last edited by jdefoe on 17 Jan 2006, 22:54, edited 12 times in total.

peps1154
Veteran Member

Thx again those tutorials r great maybey we should make like one page of only ur tutorials so its easyier to access.

upandcoming

the first drill is great and i do it all the time at football practise that second on is also good i've done it before but used bibs in the middle instead of cones but it is the same thing

floater

thx
i needed this
"In football, the greatest satisfaction is winning when they say you can't." - Robert Paul

born2skate

thanks jdefoe it really helped me alot.
always perservere!!!!!!!

scene

Quick question, is it better to plant one leg for the accleration or two legs? Great post again by the way. :)

AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

Hmm, that's an interesting way to increase speed, but if you wanted a more "gamelike" approach to the second drill, couldn't you replace the cones in the middle with soccer balls and try to pass them precisely to the cone? Probably for the more advance player but it would help controlling the ball at speeds and learning precision passing. Anyone else think this could help?
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals
"The ability to succeed requires the realization of what one wants and the passionate desire to attain it."

Icy
Veteran Member

You should always make the drills so they work best for you. If you are trying to increase your acceleration having soccer balls in the center to pass with may slow you down so that won't help as much. On the other hand if you like how fast you can accelerate than having soccer balls would help improve your passing.

You should never take the drills for exactly what they are. You should tailor them to your specific needs. Many drills on here are very good but if you don't make them to your liking and in a way that your body respondes best to it then it won't help you much.

To sum it up - If putting soccer balls in the drills helps you then do it. If it doesn't help you though than don't.

thprest02
New User

hi jdefoe, may sound a bit stupid but wat dyu mean wen u say open out your hips?

AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

Icy wrote:You should always make the drills so they work best for you. If you are trying to increase your acceleration having soccer balls in the center to pass with may slow you down so that won't help as much. On the other hand if you like how fast you can accelerate than having soccer balls would help improve your passing.

You should never take the drills for exactly what they are. You should tailor them to your specific needs. Many drills on here are very good but if you don't make them to your liking and in a way that your body respondes best to it then it won't help you much.

To sum it up - If putting soccer balls in the drills helps you then do it. If it doesn't help you though than don't.
What i meant was, if this drill is meant to increase your speed then why can't you throw in soccer balls and widen your area to give you a feel for working with the ball at the speed you are trying to get to. Obviously incorporating soccer balls into the drill would slow you down, but, if you want to run faster with a soccer ball at your feet and learn more precision passing it would help if you had soccer balls in the drill.

Also, i completely agree that you change the drills to meet your needs and skills.
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals
"The ability to succeed requires the realization of what one wants and the passionate desire to attain it."

Viduka
Veteran Member

Im sorry about this but I honestly dont understand your second drill. Can anyone explain more clearly???

C1 ________3m____________C2

4----------------->x1x2
cones------------>x3x4

C3_________3m____________C4

Can anyone please explaing this using the letters that I have chosen above? Thankyou very much.

cyxstudio

jdefoe wrote:Here are 2 of my acceleration drills:

Zigzag Cuts:

Most of you guys know this simple drill. Run at full speed to the cone, open your hips, plant your foot and "explode" like you are exploding away from a defender. It is very game realistic since it mimics the movements you will make on the soccer field.

The Drill:
Set up 10 cones diagonally to each other about 10 metres apart, just like in the picture. Follow the correct technique above. You spring to cone 1, then 2, then 3....

The next drill is is a bit more complicated:

There's no name for it, so i'll call it the Jdefoe Drill

Here is goes:

Place 4 cones to make 4 lines that are 3 metres apart in witdth in a squarelike shape. Then, place 4 cones in the middle.
X1 ________3m____________X2

4----------------->xx
cones------------>xx

X3_________3m____________X4

(Length and width are both 4m, therefore the dimensions are 4x4)
X= a cone
Start at cone 1, sprint to the middle, take a cone, and put it right next to cone 4, then run back into the centre and take the next cone and bring it to cone 3, then do the same and bring it to cone 3, then cone 4. When the sequence is over, go back to cone one, take the cone that you placed next to cone 1, and bring it back to the centre. Do this until all the original cones are back in the middle.

The technique is the same as in the drill above, open your hips, plant your turning foot, and explode...

on another note, i've lost ideas to make tutorials for, but i'll take requests because i'm almost all out of ideas.

good luck and take care,

JDefoe

Huh? The picture is missing!!

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member

yeah i was just about to say
on most of your guides the pictures are missing
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member

yeah i was just about to say
on most of your guides the pictures are missing
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again