My favorite Agility Drills

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
jdefoe
Forum groupie

Background information:

The important fitness components for soccer include endurance, strength, power, speed and flexibility. Players at the top levels can run over 14 km during a game and are also required to frequently sprint, change direction and jump. To be successful in soccer you must be able to perform prolonged intermittent exercise (endurance), exercise at high-intensity, sprint and develop high levels of power (force) when kicking and tackling. Good levels of agility and coordination are also necessary and typically distinguish the elite players from the average one’s.

What is Co-Ordination (Agility)

Co-ordination (Agility) is the ability to change position and direction quickly without losing balance or speed. This is important in soccer as players are constantly required to change speed and direction, both with and without the ball, during a game.

Coordination (Agility) Drills to do at home

1-(Square Cone Drill) Place 4 cones 10 yards apart in the shape of a square. Start at cone A. Sprint to B with ball, shuffle left to C using sole of foot to dribble ball, back pedal to D using sole of foot, then sprint to cone A. Do five sets. Total distance covered in each rep is 40 yards.

2- (Five Cone Drill) Position 4 cones in the shape of a square with 10 yards distance between cones. Place a cone in the centre of the square. Starting from the centre cone, sprint to cone A with the ball, sprint back to centre with the ball, sprint to cone B, back to centre, sprint to cone C, back to centre, sprint to cone D, back to centre. A completed circuit equals one rep. Do five sets.

MickyD#9
Veteran Member

All your posts are so helpful jdefoe! where do you get these drills from?....books.....training?

FD_ FOR_MS-What's Missing?
www.freestylersdownunder.com/forum

J
Admin

Defoe, are you really writing all this stuff yourself?? If so its pretty impressive.

MickyD#9
Veteran Member

yeah because if ur gettin off websites i'd realy like to know the addresses :D

FD_ FOR_MS-What's Missing?
www.freestylersdownunder.com/forum

ezza_44

jdefoe your a legend mate...this stuff is so helpfull..thx for it...:)

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Actually, I do write these myself. But, I study Human Kinetics and Recreation in School...So, I know a lot about motor learning/mechanics. About shooting, I have a friend who works for the NSCAA, and we were talking about it one day, and he taught me how to shoot, so we pretty much got together and summarized the points.

Pretty much all my knowledge comes from talking with other coaches, various soccer books, a few websites, but I don't like to copy my stuff off of other's websites unless its my idea that's written up better :lol:

jdefoe
Forum groupie

ezza_44 wrote:jdefoe your a legend mate...this stuff is so helpfull..thx for it...:)
A legend? lol, i'm not sure about that. But, anyways, I've made up my own drills using a wall, and when the weather gets a little nicer, i'm going to get someone to videotape me, and i'll send them in :lol:

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

i got another question for u. how do you know all that information about pro players' childhood? like wat keegan and donovan did when they were young. a book?

jdefoe
Forum groupie

yeah, books, and lots of discussion with other coaches/ and a former pro player...

Ronnie9

Many thanks man for the helpful thread.. it's definitely gonna help me improve my agility and everything related to it.. keep the good stuff coming man.
Last edited by Ronnie9 on 02 Jul 2006, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

joey
New User

I don't understand the backpedal part
"According to my calculations it is possible to lose nine points in only three matches." -Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Hokushin
New User

It means run backwards.

Futbol
Sophomore Member

And shuffling?

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

like sort of like running but laterally

like the strafe in action video games

FalcaoFanForFree
New User

Bloody awsome drill man..If you wrote it yourself, i believe you :shock: anyways how about increasing the number of "Turning points" so you get a hexagonal set up and go from there, it might increase the agility of the player even more?