Calves workout

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
soccerdvl18
New User

if you work out your calves, what would it help you on?? thanx

J
Admin

Pretty much everything. Your pretty much on your toes the whole time when your playing. It gives you better stability, and your speed off the line that much quicker for a quick burst of speed. And your legs dont get tired as easily.

A great way to work out your calves is to go for jogs and dont let your heels touch the ground, just push off with your toes. And also of course straight sprinting helps alot too.

*yung-ital*
Pending Mod

J wrote:Pretty much everything. Your pretty much on your toes the whole time when your playing. It gives you better stability, and your speed off the line that much quicker for a quick burst of speed. And your legs dont get tired as easily.

A great way to work out your calves is to go for jogs and dont let your heels touch the ground, just push off with your toes. And also of course straight sprinting helps alot too.
nuff said. i dont think anyone needs to say anything after this

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

walking around on your toes also is supposed to help work your calves.
and put ur feet on a stair. stand on the edge with your toes and just push upward with your ankles. just like a squat but the joint that is moving in this case would be your toes and not your knees
lol my bad yung ital

soccerdvl18
New User

yeah thanx walkin with my toes today helped! would running with your toes and taking bigger steps make you run faster???

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

J wrote:Pretty much everything. Your pretty much on your toes the whole time when your playing. It gives you better stability, and your speed off the line that much quicker for a quick burst of speed. And your legs dont get tired as easily.

yes soccerdvl check out what J wrote above..
i dont know if you should run on your toes but do what J said. just dont let your heels touch the growund because it works your legs more

Ahmadinho
Sophomore Member

ok here's my problem my calves are strong but they are just not big, my teammates criticize me for my "chicken legs" even though i have the most powerful shot on the team. so my question is: Would having large calves be the same as having small strong calves? and what can i do to increase the size of my calves if that matters at all?
If your 5 minutes early to practice your
on time, if your on time your late.

mustahfa10

There are specialized workout machines for calves. It doesn't really matter if you have hugecalves or small strong ones, maybe just find some various exercises for your calves to help get them more "cut" and lean.

Btw, it is better to run on your toes because when i usd to run on my hells a little more, i got a heel contusion on each heel, and when i went in to the doctor, he said to run on your toes and not your heels. It hekped because i dont have the contusions anymo

dreamer
Sophomore Member

want to have BIGGER calf muscles?? dont want chicken leg or shapeless calves? then you MUST do those specialized gym machines for calves muscles. well, you can also hold 2 dumbbells by your side but it is difficult to balance.

an example is the machine where the weight is held on top of your shoulders(beside your neck) and you push yourself up using your calf muscles.
you REALLY have to stretch all the way! PUSH ALL THE WAY!! FEEL THE STRAIN!!! No pain no gain. of course i am not asking you to tear your muscle. want BIG? then do HEAVY!

but if you just want to keep them toned, just use your body weight or use light weights.

and if you don't have access to these machines, a free and simple way is to ask your friend to hold you down hard by putting his hands on your shoulders while you try to push yourself up.

why am i saying all these? cuz i have experienced it. my calf muscles used to be flat; there was no shape. but after just doing a few days, i can already see the difference.
removed due to rules violation - no affiliate links allowed

B Heck

Calves push your toes down. This is very important for sprinting, jumping, reversing direction, and stability. Strengthen you calves to increase your acceleration and jumping. Sever your achilles tendon, and all you can do is walk slowly. I tore my achilles several years ago. Here is a list of calf strengthening exercises that I made, progressing from easiest to hardest. Reps should be in the 20-50 range since the calf muscles have very high endurance (except plyos, where quality is more important than quantity). 3-10 sets per session (1-3 exercises). Recovery time is pretty quick and can be less then 24 hours between training sessions for low intensity exercises. Plyos and heavy weight training should be several days of recovery and no more than twice a week. If you are sore the next day, do something light and easy to help recovery and then do something high intensity the next day.

Band pushes - loop a towel, long rubber strap, or bicycle tube around your toes and push while pulling with your arms.
Knee lifts - while sitting, push toes against floor and lift knees, hold at top.
Standing heel raises from floor
Heel raises from a step. Stretch at bottom.
1-leg standing heel raises from floor
1-leg heel raises from a step.
1-leg heel raises while holding a dumbbell in one hand.
Hop in place
Skip
Jump rope
Juggle a soccer ball with only one leg.
(It took me about 2 years after surgery to do the following safely)
Hop forward, backwards, sideways.
Hop over a soccer ball, back and forth or side to side
Plyometrics
Sprint up a hill
Raquetball, tennis, basketball (hard court sports with change of direction)

If you just want big calves, then do 5 sets of 25 reps of seated calf raises, then do 5 sets of standing calf raises, then do 5 more sets of donkey calf raises or one leg weighted heel raises. Wait two or three days, then repeat with more weight. Once a week, do 6 reps of seated calf raises (A) as heavy and explosively as you can, then run over to the standing calf raises (B) and do 12 reps, smooth and controlled, then back for 6 more of A, then do 40 super slow reps of heel raises (C) on a board or step with a good deep stretch, then back to A to B to A to C to A to B to A to C. No rest just A-B-A-C-A-B-A-C-A-B-A-C. You must do B and C slowly, or you will not be able to do A. The theory is the fast twitch fibers are recovering while the slow twitch ones are working. Reality - 10 minutes of pure hell and several days of walking funny.

mustahfa10

wow b heck....i see that every post you make is full of so much information, and every post is so helpful. That even helped me out.. :)

Ahmadinho
Sophomore Member

Thanks alot guys for the replys. B Heck your a genius i'm gonna start that workout right away and thnx for dreamer for givin me some ideas
If your 5 minutes early to practice your
on time, if your on time your late.

Aman147
New User

one more quick question will it help my goal kicks (Im a Goalkeeper)?

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

goal kicks and long free kicks are usually helped the most by technique. as for your actual question: sort of. the calves aren't used as much for longer kicks as are the quads. if you want to improve goal kicks, it's best to focus on technique and your quads more than your calves.
Hala Galacticos

dreamer
Sophomore Member

not much. the thighs are the most important part for how powerful your kick will be. your hamstrings and buttock muscles are also important.

example? roberto carlos. his thighs, hamstrings and buttock muscles are HUGE and that is why he has the most powerful kicks.

and im just talking about power only. technique also affects how far/powerful will your kicks go..
removed due to rules violation - no affiliate links allowed