pull ups

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
juggler94

pull ups

Post by juggler94 » 12 Oct 2005, 14:35

hi at school in PE we have to do 6 pull ups to get an A.
right now, i can't even do one, and i have three more weeks until they test me.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE GOOD

B Heck

Post by B Heck » 12 Oct 2005, 18:55

Train pullups every other day. Have a friend help by pushing you up at the waist or pulling you up at the ankles (knees bent, feet behind you). Have your friend give just enough help so that you can get 6 reps. Rest 1-2 minutes and do 6 more. Repeat for 5 sets. You can also do this alone by putting your feet on a chair or bench (knees bent, feet behind you, toes pushing against chair seat.)

Try different grips and hand spacing.

Make sure your grip is rock solid. Just a little slipping will force you to pull slower and make things much harder. Lifters chalk (magnesium carbonate) is a big help here. At least dry your hands and clean the bar really well. You can also tuck your thumb under your middle finger (the hook grip, http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/HOOK.htm )

You can cheat a little by using leg and ab muscles. Pull your knees up quickly to get some of your mass moving upward and then do the pull up as fast as possible.

You will see some quick gains from increases in neuromuscular efficiency and improved coordination in the first few weeks of training every other day. Actual increase in muscle will be slower. You should feel sore along your sides (lats) and the bottom of your biceps the day after training.

Don't train the day of or the day before your test. Bring a towel to the test to clean the bar and your hands. Even better, bring chalk.

juggler94

Post by juggler94 » 12 Oct 2005, 22:59

wow! you're smart
thanks a ton

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 01 Nov 2005, 18:11

are you a personal trainer B Heck?? if not you should start thinking about it.

B Heck

Post by B Heck » 01 Nov 2005, 18:36

*~El Maestro~* wrote:are you a personal trainer B Heck?? if not you should start thinking about it.
I did as a summer job once upon a time. It was fun, but the hours and pay aren't so great. If I ever had to switch careers (like if the grant we sent in yesterday dies in committee), I would like to teach or work as a strength coach.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 01 Nov 2005, 18:40

did you take classes in college for it? how were they?
im thinking of taking classes on that stuff when im older, well if i have time to.

B Heck

Post by B Heck » 01 Nov 2005, 18:57

*~El Maestro~* wrote:did you take classes in college for it? how were they?
im thinking of taking classes on that stuff when im older, well if i have time to.
I didn't take any specific classes, although some of the chemistry, biology, physiology, and biochemistry courses I was taking helped. I started weight training in high school and probably spent about 8-10 hours a week in a gym all through college and won a bodybuilding contest as a junior. If you are really interested in personal training or even sports conditioning, look into ISSA online courses and getting an ISSA certification. https://www.theissa.com/index.cfm

If you are serious about training athletes and strength coaching, look into the NSCA. http://www.nsca-lift.org/

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 01 Nov 2005, 19:11

thanks for helping out man. :D

B Heck

Re: pull ups

Post by B Heck » 05 Nov 2005, 00:59

juggler94 wrote:hi at school in PE we have to do 6 pull ups to get an A.
right now, i can't even do one, and i have three more weeks until they test me.
Juggler94, how did you do?

juggler94

Post by juggler94 » 05 Nov 2005, 02:16

i only did 2....
i'll try to do better next quarter