Messi Strength - Would this give you it?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
eddy192837
Veteran Member

Messi Strength - Would this give you it?

Post by eddy192837 » 16 Aug 2011, 20:27

Alright so you always see Messi dribbling and there are always people trying to take the ball away from him but always bumping off of him and him shoving them off him easily. His strength is unbelievable or so it seems watching him on TV. Here is a good example of Messi's strength from the last Clasico http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Zf7OaVbTQ

My question is how does one get that strength. Would something like this get that strength? (this workout is done by army rangers for strength purposes i suppose)

THE PUSH-UP
1) Timed sets of push-ups – Do timed sets of Regular, Wide arm and, Diamond push-ups for 40-30-20 seconds each with no more then 30 seconds rest between sets. Adhere strictly to proper form described in FM 21-20. (3 sets minimum)
2) Bench press – Strength improvement. Perform 20 repetitions of 50% of body weight working towards 20 reps at 65%. Do 3-4 sets per session.
3) Front Deltoid raises – 10-15 pounds 3-4 sets working towards temporary muscle failure (TMF).
4) Tricep Extension – 10-15 pounds 3-4 sets working towards temporary muscle failure (TMF).
5) Seated or bent over row - Strength improvement. Perform 20 repetitions of 50% of body weight working towards 20 reps at 65%. Do 3-4 sets per session.
6) Swimmer or Prone Row – 3-4 sets at 20-30 reps each.
7) Roman chair – 3-4 sets 20 –30 reps per set, facing down, progressing to with weight.
8 ) Dips- 3-4 sets working towards muscle failure.

THE SIT-UP
1) Timed sets of sit-ups- Do timed sets of sit-ups for 60-40-30 seconds each with no more then 30 seconds rest between sets. Adhere strictly to proper form described in FM 21-20. (3 sets minimum)
2) Flutter kicks – 3 sets of 50 –100 reps.
3) Hanging leg raises* – 3 sets of 50 – 100 reps. Start with legs bent work towards legs straight.
4) Incline sit-ups* 3-4 sets of 30 to 50 progressing to with weight as strength improves.
5) Flat bench leg raises* – 3-4 sets of 20 to 30.
*Exercise should be done very slowly to ensure a contraction is maintained throughout the repetition.

OR WOULD THIS WORK BETTER
http://www.military.com/military-fitnes ... dy-workout

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 17 Aug 2011, 00:26

hm ye i would think anything that keeps him from bulking up, i would assume he does alot of workouts like that so he stays mobile and agile

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 17 Aug 2011, 06:33

A Lot of that is working muscular endurance (low weight/high reps). It's not going to help with 'messi strength'.

If you want strength without size, you need very high weight, low reps. I mean less then 5 reps, with close to your One rep max (I believe 80% of your ORM weight is ideal, from memory).

I believe messi is not only strong, but he doesn't get pushed off the ball because of his amazing balance.
Everything you need, is already inside.

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 17 Aug 2011, 07:04

i'd also like to add that small people are fricken hard to push off a ball. one of my friends is only 5'6 5'7 ish and it's so damn hard to get him off the ball with how low he is.

El_Negro_Messi
New User

Post by El_Negro_Messi » 19 Aug 2011, 20:40

desire10 is right about heavy weight/ low rep for raw strength. 85-90% 1RM is ideal in compound moves such as Deadlifts, Squats, Power Cleans, Military Press, Bench Press, Rows etc

The way Messi rides Khedira's challenge is down to his balance and core strength. To develop this you need to focus on excerises that force your muscles to combat instability.

1) Plank variations are effective and require little equipment or external weight. Although, as you get stronger, doing them with weights on your back will get you closer to Messi levels of balance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX_9jhWQZoE

2) Single leg Romanian Deadlifts are another excercise that will massively improve your balance. As you improve, try doing them on a bosu ball or a cheaper alternative that I do is perform them while standing on the seat from a sofa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eACTTzeh-E

All of this combined won't make Messi but it'll develop the key physical attributes that help him to be so unstoppable :D

leonardo23
Sophomore Member

messi

Post by leonardo23 » 20 Aug 2011, 21:41

i think messi is a very special case because he used large amounts of hgh in his youth so his strength is not naturally and its very difficult to compete against that.(thats why the wada punishes steroids use)