Protein Shakes

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
p793
Veteran Member

Reccomeneded or not?

I know for a 100% fact that M'boro academy does NOT allow the scholars to take protein shakes at all, ever.

Why do some clubs advise against it whilst others let the players use them?

Advantages/Disadvantages in football..?

ah7

Ive read players taking them after every training session to aid in recovery...but im not sure if this will be the same for people under 18

collin
Veteran Member

i drink them after every session. This is exactly what james milner said in an article

“Protein is important to help your muscles recover so I always have a protein shake after training. It’s important to get the protein into your body as soon as possible to get a more immediate recovery; once you’ve got that you can then have your shower and eat later. For my post-training meal, I make sure I have plenty of protein – chicken, steak or fish – then combine that with a carbohydrate like pasta, rice, noodles or potatoes. I also try and have some veg as well. I aim to get a balance with my meal.”

p793
Veteran Member

Thanks collin, feels like you aint been on the forum in a while? Hmmm Maybe i'm just going cerrrazzzy muahahaha.

So does anyone know why some clubs such as M'Boro advise against it.

And collin, do you think he means after every single session, or just every gym session?

collin
Veteran Member

i would assuming he gets his training session and gym session done then drinks them when hes completely done with this day? you would think so

desire10
Veteran Member

No offense to Milner, and he probably knows more about sports science then me, but protein shakes would not be the best thing STRAIGHT after playing. Your best bet, I assure you, are lollies, or watermelon/dates. All 3 of these are high in simple carb's, and high in GI, meaning that they will be absorbed by your body FAST. Protein powder offers next to no carbs. Carbs is what fuel your muscles, carbs are converted to energy for your muscles (glycogen). It's best to eat what I suggested within 30 mins of completion, this is the best time for recovery, and then when you get home or whatever, that's when you have your post-exercise meal. Again you want to aim for carbs, and again high in GI, but I would suggest you go for something with less sugar, like processed pasta, as these are richer in carbs, with next to no sugar, meaning you can eat more of it. White bread does the trick as well. Take my word for this guys, even if it is against James Milner's.

Back to the initial question, shakes are fine imo, I've taken them and I'm only just now 15yrs old. Whey is your best bet, as it is faster absorbed to build and repair muscle. Use protein shakes for after a work-out, not cardio.
Everything you need, is already inside.

nick117
Veteran Member

sorry desire you're wrong. any website any person any coach will tell you and grill into you the faster after playing you can get protein into your system the better.

ah7

Yeah I read the same article as Collin in a FFT mag i bought yesterday

p793
Veteran Member

Yeah i'm taking them too and they really help recovery...I remember how tired i was after the gym when I didn't take them.

I was just wondering, why is it that some clubs (academys) do not allow the players to take them, will this make them stronger because you are training tired muscles like you would in a game, you keep pushing even when you are tired, you don't stop have a protein shake and then play. And if not, why don't they just let the players take them?

desire10
Veteran Member

nick117 wrote:sorry desire you're wrong. any website any person any coach will tell you and grill into you the faster after playing you can get protein into your system the better.
From everything I've researched, you should consume carbs:protein on a 4:1 ratio, because this is the ideal amount to deliver glycogen back into the muscles. There's actually a sports drink that utilizes the hypothesis of the 4:1 ratio, but I forget it's name.

I wish I was a pro and could afford all of the fancy nutrition supplements. It's also recommended that you have 1 gram of carbs for every pound you weigh. For me, I'm just over 100 lbs, do you know how much food that is! I mean maybe with a heap of pasta I could fulfil this, but i don't have access to pasta, usually I have bread/sandwiches. There's 25g of carbs in every 2 slices of white bread, u do the math! I can't afford that much food haha.

ah7

isnt it 1g of protein for every pound of body weight?

desire10
Veteran Member

That's a recommended daily intake, especially for people who are working out, I'm just referring to post exercise meals for the 4/1 thing.

collin
Veteran Member

i thought you were supposed to get the protein shake within 30 minutes of your workout? Also, if you don't have the money for protein shakes, drink chocolate milk its also good

nick117
Veteran Member

30min-an hour within when you ended your training. also if i was a pro you wouldn't see me near a lollipop. newcastles fitness coach has a video where he says protein as soon as possible after training.

desire10
Veteran Member

nick117 wrote:30min-an hour within when you ended your training. also if i was a pro you wouldn't see me near a lollipop. newcastles fitness coach has a video where he says protein as soon as possible after training.
He must know something no one else knows, why is it recommended?