Excess Calories Are Impossible!

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
desire10
Veteran Member

As I've mentioned, I'm currently bulking up. This mean I need to be eating excess calories to support the muscle growth, but it's so hard! I mean I was sure that I was eating an excess, but when I just started calculating it on various websites, I've ended up barely escaping weight loss according to my caloric intake :S I have been eating a lot, but if I eat any more then there won't be enough food left for anyone else in the house! It doesn't help when all the cardio I do requires even more calories.
Everything you need, is already inside.

nick117
Veteran Member

how do you not get enough? do you keep 2 cans of beans in the house or something it's fairly easy to get enough i would think.

desire10
Veteran Member

I know right. I must be calculating something wrong, because it seems pretty solid to me.

Here's an example:

6:30am - small serve of sultanas
*Training*
8:30am - Milkshake (low-fat milk, jam, low-fat yogurt), and medium serve of natural muesli (no milk)
11:30am - Sandwich (multi grain bread) - peanut butter, cabbage, ham slices, tomato. A few crackers with peanut butter
2:00pm - whole apple
2:50pm - small serve of sultanas
*Training*
5:00pm - few crackers with full cream cheese
7:00pm - Tuna bake (large serve) - (tuna, cheese, tomato, white rice, corn). Bowl of cereal - one weet bix, sprinkles of muesli, topped with low-fat yoghurt (*with low-fat milk) and honey. Glass of low-fat milk.

^ That's an example of a Friday, where I'd have two ball-work sessions. The sultana's are there for quick simple sugars before training. On mon, tues and wed', I'd work-out in the mornings followed by a protein shake. I could maybe have another very slow digest serve of protein just before bed? I've heard that's a technique body builders use to fit in another meal.
But when I calculate a day of meals like that, three quarters through I just stop counting because when I'm not even on to dinner, I'm already lagging at about 1400 cal', where I'm nearly 15, 5'3, 44kg, exercise a hell of a lot, and therefore this means I need a bit over 2000 just for maintenance.

nick117
Veteran Member

Good lord. Maybe start throwing in 1-2 granola bars in there somewhere that's another 300-400 depending on the kind you get.(total not each).

desire10
Veteran Member

Granola bars are actually pretty rare where I am, I've never come across one in my life here haha. I might just have a protein shake before bed, that'll be equivalent to two granola's, and from what I know it's important to have some nutrients flowing through your body when sleeping through a bulking stage. I could make that 5:00pm meal a lot bigger I guess, but that'll likely mean buying my own food as it's not fair on my family if I thieve half the pantry. Do you think it's important to have excess calories on days that you don't lift? Or is it fine to have maintenance?

EDIT: Finally! Just found a site that has calculated my caloric intake quite satisfactorily. - http://health.ninemsn.com.au/tools/calo ... shared_top - I did it pretty lazily, and estimated a fair bit, but I inputed a diet similar to the one I just wrote, and it's given me a result of 2500 cal', and that's without a protein shake. What's your opinion, do you think that it should add up to 2500? (what I wrote to you).

nick117
Veteran Member

in my head with rough estimates i got 1900 without the sultana's because i don't know what they are :p. nvm looked em up 2200 sounds roughly right to me so it could be 2500. A protein shake might put you over the top, see if you can find a calorie burner since i know you can naturally burn roughly 1500 without doing anything before even taking workouts into consideration at that age.

desire10
Veteran Member

Thanks man, I'm on it now, and lol sorry man I forgot you don't live down under haha, 'sultanas' are dried grapes, or 'raisins'. My serves a roughly 100 cal each.

EDIT: Got any site suggestions? None of the calculators seem to have activities relevant to athletes, and some are giving me 2000 for maintenance, and some suggest 2800 maintenance :?

Also, I'll bump this question -
Do you think it's important to have excess calories on days that you don't lift? Or is it fine to have maintenance?

panchester07
Veteran Member

dude seriously .. i dont like to brag but im one of the 21 u-20's in my country that have a chance of getting scouted in spain (division 1 or 2)- and not once have i worried about diet's carbohydrates protein and calories - you wont listen to me - at all, because you will do what you think is better and what you are OBSSESSED with - but i eat rather healthy all day everyday, and i try not to eat candy or fast food and soda but thats about it - train my ass of and thats it - fu** the calories and the sodium and the potasium if you ask a PROFESIONAL - focus on your training, and eat normally nothing to over the top healthy or bad just chill-

ofcourse you wont listen to me, and you'll keep counting each calorie you intake, and thats why'll you'll keep taking everything so seriously-

while i'll keep having fun, training my ass off but playing MY game, and then having fun in other areas of my life, its all about the balance, and i guarantee its not about the diet, atleast it wan't for me, it was about traning and improving my level and not taking it so seriously enjoyng the game

do what you want - at the ened of the day if you get anywhere you will be saying the same thing that im telling u...... bless... its a game ...... have fun ....... get it in your mind ..... FUN.... don't count calories on your breaqk. pl,ay football on your break..... feel the vibe and the love? hopefully you do -

its fuking football - i'll send you 5,000$ over the mail if you remind me when's the last ttime you just played a game and had fun playing instead of over analtzing every second of it - i bet my house it was about 5 years ago -
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

desire10
Veteran Member

panchester07 wrote:dude seriously .. i dont like to brag but im one of the 21 u-20's in my country that have a chance of getting scouted in spain (division 1 or 2)- and not once have i worried about diet's carbohydrates protein and calories - you wont listen to me - at all, because you will do what you think is better and what you are OBSSESSED with - but i eat rather healthy all day everyday, and i try not to eat candy or fast food and soda but thats about it - train my ass of and thats it - fu** the calories and the sodium and the potasium if you ask a PROFESIONAL - focus on your training, and eat normally nothing to over the top healthy or bad just chill-

ofcourse you wont listen to me, and you'll keep counting each calorie you intake, and thats why'll you'll keep taking everything so seriously-

while i'll keep having fun, training my ass off but playing MY game, and then having fun in other areas of my life, its all about the balance, and i guarantee its not about the diet, atleast it wan't for me, it was about traning and improving my level and not taking it so seriously enjoyng the game

do what you want - at the ened of the day if you get anywhere you will be saying the same thing that im telling u...... bless... its a game ...... have fun ....... get it in your mind ..... FUN.... don't count calories on your breaqk. pl,ay football on your break..... feel the vibe and the love? hopefully you do -

its fuking football - i'll send you 5,000$ over the mail if you remind me when's the last ttime you just played a game and had fun playing instead of over analtzing every second of it - i bet my house it was about 5 years ago -
Haha nah man I've only been super serious for a few months, so your lucky this isn't a legit deal! I know what your saying man, I agree that I need to relax, but I'm 100 percent happy with how I'm living my life. I definitely need to try and have some more fun with my football though, instead of always treating it as life or death all the time.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Just relax. Make sensible choices and listen to your body. If you're hungry eat, if not then don't. Protein and good fatty foods (olive oil, avocados, nuts) can help keep you full. Don't get caught up in counting calories just make good choices.

klc123
Veteran Member

I calorie count and I find it easy to take in 5,000 a day...And its working for me because i've been putting on 1-2 pounds of muscle a week since christmas.