The Art of Expressing the Human Body

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
eddy192837
Veteran Member

The Art of Expressing the Human Body

Post by eddy192837 » 02 May 2011, 22:45

1. Alright i was watching Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (almost like a documentary of his life, but they portray it as a movie) and it gave me an inspiration to really pick up my fitness in soccer.. So i researched about him and found out that he wrote a book called The Art of Expressing the Human Body.. I just found it online and downloaded it. Has anyone read this book? Is it helpful? Recommend it for a soccer players physique?

2. Oh and do you think a Bruce Lee built body would be good for a soccer players body because he is not too big but he is built just enough which does not decrease his speed or anything... So is that a yes or no?

styale18

Post by styale18 » 02 May 2011, 23:49

ive never read the book but bruce lee was very quick and fast as well as being strong so that would be a yes to the second question

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 03 May 2011, 00:08

Bruce Lee never lifted huge weights, or even big weights. When he did lift weights, they were light.

He overtrained himself to death, doing zillions of reps of calisthenics, air punching and kicking, running and the like. Actually lost 20lbs of muscle while filming Enter The Dragon.

You stay pretty much the same size, no matter how much you try to get stronger, if you

1. Keep the total work set reps low. Say 10 or lower. One or two sets of 5 after your warmups. 3 x 3. You could use a very light ten repper followed by ramping singles as warmups.

2. Control calorie intake.

Juicygriot17

Post by Juicygriot17 » 03 May 2011, 00:24

actually collin, from more than one source Bruce Lee was known for amazing physical feats, like single bicep curls at 70 or 80 lbs, and 50 one armed chinups. he was able to lift such weight at a relatively light bodyweight. it's not really possible to do those feats without heavy weight. he used clean and presses, squats, pullovers, bicep curls, etc.

I think he's ripped because he didn't just workout on a day, but broke up his day into running, cycling and weight training. it's been said that more cardio doesnt help with muscle mass, so i think that's why

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 03 May 2011, 00:50

you could be right i just found that on a website and posted in on here lol

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 03 May 2011, 05:41

Juicygriot17 wrote:actually collin, from more than one source Bruce Lee was known for amazing physical feats, like single bicep curls at 70 or 80 lbs, and 50 one armed chinups. he was able to lift such weight at a relatively light bodyweight. it's not really possible to do those feats without heavy weight. he used clean and presses, squats, pullovers, bicep curls, etc.

I think he's ripped because he didn't just workout on a day, but broke up his day into running, cycling and weight training. it's been said that more cardio doesnt help with muscle mass, so i think that's why
Agreed, it only takes common sense to tell you this. For example, if your squatting 150lbs, then going for a jog is not even 1/10th of the intensity of the squatting you've been doing. People are also afraid that cardio will decrease muscle mass while trying to bulk. This is false, the only way this happens is because you'll require more calories. More exercise = more calories, simple. You need to put back on the calories you burn during cardio, or your losing mass
Everything you need, is already inside.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 04 May 2011, 16:27

collin wrote:
You stay pretty much the same size, no matter how much you try to get stronger, if you

1. Keep the total work set reps low. Say 10 or lower. One or two sets of 5 after your warmups. 3 x 3. You could use a very light ten repper followed by ramping singles as warmups.
This is completely false. Low Reps High weight will put on more muscle than any other type of training, if that is what you are trying to say.

And Bruce Lee was ripped guys. He had extraordinarily low body fat %, which means he was quite light, but was 100% muscle. As said he could do magnificent things of incredible strength. Don't read a book by its cover.
Physical feats
Lee's phenomenal fitness meant he was capable of performing many exceptional physical feats.[76][77][78] The following list includes some of the physical feats of which, according to author John Little, Lee was capable:
Lee's striking speed from three feet with his hands down by his side reached five hundredths of a second.[79]
Lee could take in one arm a 75 lb barbell from a standing position with the barbell held flush against his chest and slowly stick his arms out locking them, holding the barbell there for several seconds.[80]
In a speed demonstration, Lee could snatch a dime off a person's open palm before they could close it, and leave a penny behind.[81]
Lee performed one-hand push-ups using only the thumb and index finger.[78][82]
Lee performed 50 reps of one-arm chin-ups.[83]
Lee could cause a 300-lb (136.08 kg) bag to fly towards and thump the ceiling with a sidekick.[78]
Also, according to the Intercepting Fist DVD, Lee would hold an elevated v-sit position for 30 minutes or longer.[77