My Little Routine

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
styale18

I do strictly bodyweight exercises and i try to give my body the rest it needs. i try to do each of these exercises at least twice a week

Barbell Squats-4x8
Push ups-4x20
Pull ups 4x Rep out
Back Extensions w/ a 25 lb plate 3x15
Leg Raises
Weighted calf raises 3x15
Ball Work 3x a week
Plyometrics once a week
Long distance running

desire10
Veteran Member

Well, I wouldn't call that "strictly" bodyweight, as a lot of that has excess weight involved?

I'm not the biggest guru on work-outs, so I'll leave the criticizing to someone else.
Everything you need, is already inside.

styale18

what i mean by bodyweight is that i dont use machines...they only make you better at machines but not stronger

nick117
Veteran Member

"they only make you better at machines but not stronger" what?

styale18

by using a specific machine, you only get better and stronger at doing/using that specific machine, but it actually decreases your strength in doing everyday activities. its hard to explain and i got this from an article but i cant seem to find it.

nick117
Veteran Member

If that were the cast then professionals wouldn't have gyms full of equipment doing all these exercises.

styale18

well thats what i read in an article and it made sense to me..but i do prefer using free weights to machines and free weights are more effective

EDIT: @desire-yea ur right i do bodyweight exercises and add more weight

nick117
Veteran Member

i can all but promise you that's not the case like i said professionals have tons of equiptment if it wasn't the proper way to do things it wouldn't happen. Free weights can be fun but machines tend to make things like form easier.

styale18

but professionals do somehow have muscle injuries all the time! ive used free weights for the majority of the time that ive worked out and ive NEVER had a muscular strain and free weights lead to quicker strength gains and are more versatile and engage more muscle groups

nick117
Veteran Member

they also play intensively 6 or 7 days a week. 45 weeks in a year. I'm also pretty sure they don't lead to quicker gains. however i did a bit of research they do affect more muscle groups however if your looking to target one specific muscle machines are going to be far safer and easier to use. not to mention you only use weights in 3 exercises and in this case are very similar to using machines since your not really balancing the weight like how you would with say a free weighted bench press

mustahfa14

Using machines doesn't give you as much benefits as using free weights, but it in no way decreases strenght or causes muscle injuries. A lot of those muscle injuries are from the athletes doing the exercises wrong. Trust me I have seen videos of nba players lifting with bad form. That will cause injuries over time.

Your routine isn't bad..for now. I think it's fine to start off like this, but over time try to work out more through out the week. at least 3-4 times. That is just lifting too. But once you get used to your current routine, switch up the exercises for muscle confusion. maybe try to rep out on each pushup set too.

soccerjj

Free weights are a lot better than machines! Especially for athletes

1) free weights use more muscles such as extra stabiliser muscles in all exercises.

2) Stimulate real world activities more as in everyday life and football you are never acting in just one range of motion.

3) Injuries more likely in some cases. As firstly you can get false sense of security so sometimes pile on more weight than you actually can do. Secondly for example on squats your body is forced to move down in a straight unnatural line causing possible knee and back injuries. ( but some machine exercises are better than others)

This dosnt mean machines are completely useless as they still would increase strength, but free weights do it a lot better and faster so whats really the point in using them.

nick117
Veteran Member

It's still odd i haven't seen 1 site out of maybe 10 i looked at say it increases strength faster. It could be true but you would think google would have found something to agree.

styale18

@nick117-yeah thats true.....ive worked out and played 6 days a week and i didnt get any injuries but theyre season is longer....every article on google i saw said free weights gain strength faster. try searching free weights vs machines
@mustafha-my schools far from my home so im trying to fit in more workouts
@soccerjj-yeah ive gained more strength doing free weights than machines

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Machines are used to target specific muscles. Of course they will improve faster. However in real life activities and sports you never use only one specific muscle at a time, its always a coordinated effort with multple muscle groups.

This is where using free weights helps more. If your lifting a weight you need to balance it, to do this you use smaller less prominant muscles that are otherwise unworked when a machine balances the weight for you.

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.