Stamina Training

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
desire10
Veteran Member

My stamina isn't to impressive, and being a center-mid I need to improve it.
I only really have a day for fitness, and on that day I do the beep test. Is this enough?
Everything you need, is already inside.

nick117
Veteran Member

No. the beep test is fine and all but it's not a practice in and of itself. Add in wind sprints or something and maybe a fartlek run.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

If you're talking about general stamina, you need to seek an activity that will test your ability to perform over an extended length of time. Trail/mile long runs would be ideal since it's something that requires you to work constantly for longer than 5 minutes and anywhere up to 30(longer trail run), which I'm assuming that's your aim. We have something here called the Grouse Grind(Grouse mountain). It's basically a running trail up a mountain and I'll try to do that once every 2 weeks. It's grueling but it's a great opportunity to get away from a field and a ball to focus on general fitness.

As Nick said, Fartlek runs are also a way to ease into stamina training since it's dependent upon your mood+fitness. It really depends what you have around and taking advantage of the terrain. You can always run around a field but I'll always find myself getting bored or losing focus and shooting/something with a ball instead.

nick117
Veteran Member

The only problem with long runs is that soccer isn't one long run it's a constant change of pace which is the only reason i don't like them. I prefer things that keep you running but change the pace constantly.

ah7

Fartlek training is great since it mimics what happens on the soccer field. Other alternatives are long distance bike riding, swimming or running.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

ah7 wrote:Fartlek training is great since it mimics what happens on the soccer field. Other alternatives are long distance bike riding, swimming or running.
Agreed with you and Nick. I just do hill/mountain trail runs because the change in terrain and it adds training at elevation. You have to adjust you're work rate to the grade of the hill, so it's much like soccer but with the added resistance of a hill. I tend to lose interest in flat runs and I feel that it may be a great place to start..but you'll soon find it possibly too easy over time.

I'd say do a couple variations and use the bleep test as a progress barometer. Sure, do the bleep test for training as well but also mix it up with longer distances like the fartlek runs as suggested.

desire10
Veteran Member

Might just go for a big run on Sundays then. I know it's not ideal with the whole theory on changing pace, but I'm sick of the field, I want to go for a run through some terrain, not around a field to be honest.

Thanks guys! :)

EDIT: Scratch that long running, after researching I found that doing jogging with no sprints trains affects your muscles memory of explosiveness/short bursts of speeds. So since I'm not doing any sprints through the rest of the week, I'll do some higher intensity running with sprinting more fitness; Probably the yo-yo test and fartleks.
Everything you need, is already inside.

panchester07
Veteran Member

desire10 wrote:Might just go for a big run on Sundays then. I know it's not ideal with the whole theory on changing pace, but I'm sick of the field, I want to go for a run through some terrain, not around a field to be honest.

Thanks guys! :)
Grab your ipod with a good playlist, and push your pace to maybe 65%..... When you are tired, try doing wind sprints, sprinting when you are already out of breath, it will help your stamina enourmously...

About the run, I freaking love running... It just clear my mind so much, I run, run, and run some more, with some good music in my ears and just think about life... I think of many solutions to problems I might be ongoing when I run... Its works as a therapy for me, some people meditate, but im not a monk, im an athlete, and running is just, WOW.. burn fat, gain stamina, relax, think about day to day challenges.. I just look foward to those runs more and more... I love them.. After running I'm relaxed for the rest of the day and thinking clearly, not to mention my stamina raises and I am healthy as f$%&/(!!

Wind Sprints:
http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exerc ... 6-137.html
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'