Speed Training / Benefits at age 18

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
mrbeankid22

Hello everyone,

Well, I've really been debating whether a full-on intensive speed training routine over the course of 3, even 6 months would help me become significantly faster than I am now. Just some background info, I am 18, Senior in HS, and I usually play outside mid but I have average speed at best. I am very skilled at my feet and I can pass/cross/shoot very well but I cannot take multiple players on and beat them like a true winger.

I've had average speed/acceleration throughout my years. I've done plyos and hill sprints consistently but I only noticed a small amount of benefits. I am debating whether devoting my time to a full scale speed routine would be worth it. I've received interest from a couple college coaches but I am afraid my more technical/less physical style of play wouldn't cut it in American footy.

So basically, would doing intensive plyos/agilitydrills/ladders/sprints/weights over the next, lets say 6 months, yield very noticeable benefits? I mentioned my age as well, since I have read that it is much harder to develop speed after hitting puberty.

nick117
Veteran Member

It's hard to say. Increasing your strength will give good results irregardless of age. some players are not going to be sprinters so i'm glad you have technical ability. I imagine over 6 months you could find some good results especially if you found a good routine for yourself.

mrbeankid22

Thanks for the insight Nick. Yeah I'd figure doing a lot of lifting would help in the long term, but it seems to throw off my touch a bit. I just hope that there is the potential there for me to achieve the benefits. I am by no means hoping to match the speeds of Olympic sprinter hopefuls, I just wan't to be considered one of the faster ones on the pitch.

nick117
Veteran Member

Your touch is going to be off temporarily due to muscle fatigue but lifting will always be the safest bet on it if you can get at least 3 months of weights in then do plyometrics i imagine results would follow. In the time between weights and plyo's you could also do resistance training with a parachute / weight sled etc since you obviously can't do weights for the legs 3x a week.