Can you still gain fitness if your diet is not that good?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
collin
Veteran Member

Can you still gain fitness if your diet is not that good?

Post by collin » 13 Mar 2011, 22:45

hey guys i was just curious about this, all my life i haven't really had the best diet. However it is slowly getting better but its not so much the food, its more like sodas, teas, chocolate milk ect..im just not the kind of person who picks up a bottle of water, i do it sometimes, but mostly i dont like the plain taste in it and i need sugar. Now when it comes to food i think my diet is a little above the average diet of a human, but its not a pro athlete diet. So i do alot of running and stuff and i was just curious am i still gaining fitness? or is all that hard work going to waste? or perhaps both of them are balancing out? im really not sure, ive never felt what its like to be super fit before, but i have been pretty fit among others before, its like a rollercoaster with me sometimes my fitness is bad, sometimes its really good.

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 14 Mar 2011, 09:57

Your fitness is always going to be limited if you don't eat right.

You'll be able t get much fitter much faster if you eat better I assure you.
Everything you need, is already inside.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 14 Mar 2011, 18:06

Definately...you're input will always affect you're output.

I have a friend that cut out red meat(beef, pork) and only ate fish+chicken in his diet. He claimed he felt a bit fitter and sharper mentally, so there are benefits to a controlled diet.

I'd suggest to commit to something that's within your means to follow but doesn't completely cut out the things you enjoy. I've been on some diets in the past that brutal to follow and very inflexible. I've found the key to a successful long-term diet is the adaptability + short-term results to encourage you to continue on further. I have a super fast metabolism so I've always had room to occasionally cheat on diets and maintain a high level of clean foods.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 14 Mar 2011, 19:55

At a young age you can pile things into your face pretty freely without an adverse affects if you exercise enough and work out. What you need to do is eat a good balanced diet, with 5 fruit and veg a day and plenty of water. Then on top of that goes all your luxury foods like crisps and so on. The reason you should do this is your need an excess of calories to build at your absolute maximum potential. If you are putting hard work in at training, you don't want your diet to be limiting your gains and improvements.

However, there are certain foods that are obvious no no's.

Firstly, alcohol, if your serious about your health and fitness, stay away from it as much as possible.

Secondly, eat a proper diet and a proper diet alone when preparing for game time. If you are professional, you will be expected to keep this up all the time, with no room for surplus foods, because you need to be in top shape for training as well as matches. The thing to avoid is fast food, which will not only make you feel rough running around, but probably give you the shits for a few days.

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 14 Mar 2011, 20:43

thanks guys, i definitely trying to eat healthier. But what im most worried about is liquids. How crucial is drinking to your diet compared to eating? I dont mean drinking by consuming alcohol i mean drinking by just consuming anything.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 14 Mar 2011, 20:48

Drinking is more important than anything!

1% dehydration = 5-10% drop in physical and mental performance.

90% of the population is dehydrated.

If you feel thirsty, it's too late, you're already dehydrated.

The average man should aim to drink at least 2 litres of water a day, not including water you get from food.

Fruit juices are great because they have lots of carbs and minerals in them, but drink too much and you'll give yourself the shits.

I personally do protein shakes with milk. This is a great source of carbs, protein and fat. I use Hurricane XS from myprotein.com but there are many other brands available.

Sherard
New User

Re: Can you still gain fitness if your diet is not that good

Post by Sherard » 13 Mar 2014, 11:50

Hi Collin,
Yes, you still gain fitness if your diet is not that good. You can gain fitness with regular workouts, avoiding stimulants and having proper sleep.
Doctors Studio
Lisbeth Roy, D.O.
6400 N Andrews Avenue Suite 120
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
561 - 444 - 7751

J
Admin

Re: Can you still gain fitness if your diet is not that good

Post by J » 22 Mar 2014, 03:15

Yes you can still gain your fitness, but it's not so much what people are eating that's the problem, it's more what they aren't eating. Basically a lack of vitamins and minerals in their diets.

A great way to achieve getting all these vitamins and minerals is juicing fresh fruits and vegetables. You also get real hydration from living fresh foods. You are getting two of the most important things your body needs (nutrients and hydration) for the price of one. And the variety of things you can juice is endless.

No matter what at the least, always drink lots of water. I wouldn't regularly drink much of anything else because its basically all just sugar water. Even the "100%" juices you find on the grocery shelves are crap.

It's all about teaching your mind and body new things and making yourself adapt. And eventually you will no longer crave the sugar junk.