Cartilage tear in the knee?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
ImpossibleIsNothing6

2 monthss. let us know how ur knee is aswell hkepp me postedd

arsenal1

wow two months man, howd you keep from going insane?? haha i feel like im about to jump out of a 10 story window

ImpossibleIsNothing6

haha i feel like im not the same person anymoree it can seriosly change youu haha i felt like i was slowlyy dyingg insidee.

arsenal1

yeah man i hate injuries. hows the knee feeling when your playing and everything??

ImpossibleIsNothing6

It feels great when im fully rested and warmed up. The only time it does limit me a bit is if i've had like a ful day of pick-up games, which i don't do anymore anyway. I just make sure i have a full rest day, eat well and im good. And hows ur knee atm? getting betterr?"

arsenal1

thats great man, im glad the injury wasnt a serious one. and not really, im pretty much on crutches cuz whenever i bare any weight on that one leg my knee feels like its gonna give out or i might get another sharp pain. :(

ImpossibleIsNothing6

aww, still, thank yourself luckyy that its nothing to serious, muscle tears are easily fixed (with or without surgey). just keep positive and youll be playing again in no timee

arsenal1

yeah its just the time that im out sitting on my ass recovering that really hurts.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Some time away from the game can be beneficial in that you can step away from training for a while and see your life from a new perspective. When you are so dedicated to something it is difficult to imagine your life beyond pursuing your goal, but there certainly is more than that to life.

I tore my acl and meniscus 2 separate times- meaning that two times I went through surgery and a total recovery time of 8-9 months- and I know overall I am a more well rounded and mature person for having gone through that experience.

In terms of my playing career I'm pretty much f***ed because I am now at such a high risk to tear my acl a third time, but I believe everything happens for a reason and I would not be the same person I am today if I had stayed injury free.

All you can do is make the best of the situation you are in, and try to stay positive.

arsenal1

wow man im sorry about your injuries. i tore myy acl last year and know how much time you have to spend to really get back to where you were before the injury. im just hoping im not out for too long with this injury or that i wont have to get surgery again.

was it the same knee for both of your injuries? and how does the knee feel now while playing and everything?

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Yea left knee both times. The first time i got fouled hard and the second time I was just making a cut trying to go around the keeper. Both were on artificial turf.

These days my knee gets sore every time after I play or freestyle or do anything soccer related and I have to be really careful to not "over do it," so I can't really go in for 50/50 balls like I used to. I had a scare a few months ago where I thought I tore my acl again, but thankfully the MRI revealed I only had a bone bruise (so I didn't have to get surgery).

My doctor has advised me to stop playing soccer altogether and pick up a different sport- but I told him that wasn't happening. I'm only 21 I don't want to retire from the sport now! I used to have very ambitious aspirations in the game- I was playing for a club competing in nationals each year and preparing to play D1 in college and then I tore my acl for the second time. Now I simply want to be able to enjoy playing pick up games every now and then.

I wish you the best with your recovery! I hope it's nothing too serious. :wink:

arsenal1

wow man same here, i also tore my left acl and now i reinjured it and both times it was on turf. so what are you doing now, soccer related and career related?

ajc
The Philly Flyer

I'm in college now studying environmental engineering. I changed my major a few times so even though I'm finishing my 3rd year at the end of this spring semester I'll probably not graduate for a couple years. But it's alright I'm quite enjoying college life :wink:

Soccer wise I play intramural at school, in the summer I play for a local men's league team, and when the weather is nicer I'll start playing pick up games a couple days a week. I've basically given up on trying to play for the varsity college team. I'm at such a high risk to injure my knee again and between my school work and my job I really don't have the time to dedicate to getting back into peak fitness anyway.

Obviously I tremendously miss the competitiveness and the camaraderie of playing on a serious team. I was captain of my high school team and club for a time. But I try to live each day grateful for the experiences I had and the positive aspects about my life now, rather than being bitter about what could have been.

How about yourself man? What's your story 8)

arsenal1

wow man im sorry to hear that those two injuries pretty much ruined your dream. but im glad your still living your life and enjoying it.

well im 18 right now and was out all last year due to my acl injury. I had just started ggetting back into shape when this injury happend, now i dont know what im going to do. I dont know what im going to do about college or anything, seeing as my parents dont have that kind of money to dish out. IF anything ill end up going to community college maybe. I was hoping id be fit enough to try out over in europe somewhere in maybe a year but idk now.