Cartilage tear in the knee?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
arsenal1

Have you guys ever torn any cartilage in your knee? Im having some wierd knee pain below my knee cap towards the inside of my leg

ImpossibleIsNothing6

I've got a suspected one right now, on my left knee, outside and below. What do you need to know specifically?

arsenal1

damn man. mine is also the left knee but on the inside. what exactly are your symptoms? and what have you done for rehab?

ImpossibleIsNothing6

Here's a list of my symptoms:

* Pain during extensive walking, on the lower outside part of my knee
* Pain over my patella (the big knee bone) when straightening the knee
* Giving way of the knee occasionally when walking, and especially running
* Clicking of the knee joint when I bend/straighten it

That's about it off the top of my head right now, but I use to not be able to pull my heel to my bum (like a quad stretch) and straighten it while lying down. So although the pain hasn't really subsided at all, I do have a bit of a better range of movement.

For rehabilitation, the doctor (who knows sh*t all before you take my advice) gave me some exercises, things like straightening the knee for a good 10 seconds while sitting down, doing a one-legged bicycle movement while laying down on bed, stuff like that. I'm sure if you google it you'll find loads more better explained ones.

And.. as i said, I'm not quite sure if mine is torn or even injured yet, I;m looking to get into physio asap.

arsenal1

Yeah my doc gave me some excerises to do that sound similaar to those last year when i tore my acl, thatnks man. I have some of those same symptoms youve listed, so it sounds like we might have the same thing.

Howd you end up doing whatever you did? Have you heard from your physio therapist yet?

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

IIN6 your symptoms definitely sound like a tear.

I tore my meniscus last year and I put off getting an MRI. Your situation, granted is less obvious, but I would still suggest you get an MRI scan as that is the only way to confirm a tear.

Physical therapists and doctors can guess, but the MRI will confirm.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

arsenal1

pickyourheadup if you mind me asking, when you tore your meniscus did you hear a pop or what exactly happened??

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Yes, I heard a pop. I then hobbled over to the sideline and noticed my knee was extremely swollen.

From what I remember, I was near the sideline of the field with a defender on my back. I got the ball and noticed a teammate making a run up the line. I pivoted on my right foot and made a quick turn around pass to the teammate. I heard a pop from my left knee when I either struck the ball or landed on it after the pass.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

arsenal1

thanks man i appreciate it

ImpossibleIsNothing6

The thing about mine is that it hasn't happened as any result of an acute injury.

mint
EF Drug Baron

I only found out i had i had a cartilage tear when i went in for knee surgery a few years ago after like 3 years of knee problems, i had also tore my MCL and my ACL as well so u can imagine my knee was pretty beat up.

Its absolutely fine now though :D
i was made to ignite

arsenal1

yeah same here IIN6, weird :(

arsenal1

So i saw my doc yesterday, diagonosed my injury as irritation to the knee joint, so ill be out resting for 3 weeks with no football or anything and when i see him after those 3 weeks if my symptoms are still present then im gonna have to get surgery on it.

Impossible, have you found out whats up with your knee? maybe you have the same thing since it sounds like yuo have some of my symptoms

ImpossibleIsNothing6

Mine has subsided a bit for noww, and im bacxk to full training, we diagnosed it as some kind of form of core arthritis which i have a rich history of through my familyyy, deffs gonna have some morek nee problems in the future htough

arsenal1

well atleast your back to full training man. How long were you out resting for?