A Tough Time

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
ImpossibleIsNothing6

A Tough Time

Post by ImpossibleIsNothing6 » 02 Feb 2011, 05:52

Over a moth now since I've played or trained due to this knee injury. I went back to the doctors the other day and he had a feel of it, decided that its fine, and he told me to keep stretching and strengthening it. He hasn't even diagnosed me yet, I would feel fine if i actually knew what was wrong with me, but yea.. There's just so much uncertainty going through my head, and I feel depressed a lot.

I've been off it for about a month now, very little improvement. It's not something which I can just bare with, I feel like I have zero stability when I try to do a fast jog - sprint on it. I'm starting to think I've got something degenerative, even though I'm only 14. I didn't do anythign acute to it.

Met

Post by Met » 02 Feb 2011, 11:31

You need an MRI scan to be sure of any ligament damage. Other than that, go see a physio, a good one that has clients with sports injuries. A good measure of how good they are is their availability and price to a certain extent. Seriously, cough up the money, do jobs, nag your parents do whatever you need to do. I cannot stress how important you must get professional help. You need facts and clear treatment plan.

Don't go doctors. They know jack all. All they know is to prescribe painkillers.

Be under no illusions, my friend. It will take a long time to recover. Make peace with that now. Look forward to the day you play football with no pain at all and that should keep you motivated.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 02 Feb 2011, 15:50

lol met, i cant blame you for thinking doctors dont know jack-sh*t and just prescribe pain killers. this fellow who did a check up did it too lazily. I mean he didnt even ask a proper history of what happened (what caused the injury, what movements cant you do with the knee and what not). he just touched the leg and said nothing is wrong. Surely he could have done some tests and asked extensive questions to interrogate the problem.

The two major liagaments of the knee are the posterior collateral ligament and the anterior collateral ligament. A way to figure out if any of these two are injured is to do a drawer test. Imagine your shine bone is a drawer. if you can pull your shin bone forward and kind of dislocate it from the knee joint, then acl is damaged and vice versa.

Another possibility is that there is inflammation of the bursae in the knee joint. What I mean by that is the knee joint has regions where there is synovial fluid, to allow for smooth flexion and extension of the knee. if there is some extensive fluid build up or infection, then that may explain in your keen pain. This type of problem has a quicker result of recovery.

ImpossibleIsNothing6

Post by ImpossibleIsNothing6 » 03 Feb 2011, 07:18

I think the doctor was lazy, as I've had a previous knee injury before which turned out to be nothing but a bit of fluid really. So he's not taking it seriously, hahaha and funny you mention that about the painkillers, thats what he had me on for the first 2 weeks :S I'll see if i can get into physio.

And.. is it pssible to injure my mensicus/cruciate ligaments from just overuse, because i never did anythign acute to it.

Oh, and about the drawer test thing, it doesnt happen as bad now because my range of movement has slightly improved, but yes it use to feel exactly like a dislocation when i pulled my shin inwards (similar to a quad stretch)

Patoo
Sophomore Member

Post by Patoo » 22 Feb 2011, 18:41

Didnt read all comments but i think you shouldn't worry too much about a degenerative injury.
In your age i was out for 9 months because of knee pain... and it was just due to growing.
And doctors are lazy as sh*t as already mentioned, all you get are "painkillers" they fail mostly at their diagnosis....
a bit better is physio. At least there somebody checks your whole body.
If you want real help you should see a heal doctor... he knows whats wrong in a body. But you should only do this if you have some strange pain, like i had over 1 and a half year until i finally went to such a doc and he could help me with my degenerative patella injury ( i started a long thread some time ago here also) because it is expensive.