collin
Veteran Member

Whats a better soccer workout

Post by collin » 25 Jan 2011, 19:45

ok so whats a better workout for fitness/running

2 mile run
or
10 sets 10 reps of 10 yard sprints

so its pretty much just sprinting 10 yards back and fourth no break 10 times. Then doing 10 sets of that, its actually pretty tiring and i think its a good drill to get soccer fit what do you guys think is better?

Juice

Post by Juice » 25 Jan 2011, 20:12

Depends on what you want to gain...
Sprints if you want to become explosive and fast.
Long distance run to improve endurance.

Ideal training for a football training is long distance runs with interval sprints. That will give you a great workout both anaerobically and aerobically.

The most important key to success is self-confidence.
The most important key to self-confidence is preparation.

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 25 Jan 2011, 20:19

well im just looking to build up endurance, but im already good at long distance. I think there is a big difference between Sprint endurance and long distance endurance so is doing this sprinting helping my sprinting endurance? is it enough sprinting or should i be adding more? and i cant do interval training i have no where to do that because i dont want to sprint on snow and fall and break something

Met

Post by Met » 25 Jan 2011, 20:42

Sprint endurance is how long your sprint lasts before you give out. It's a little bit of how long you sprint in one go and also how many times can you repeat that distance before you can no longer do so. For example, let's say your sprint lasts 50m. How many times with little rest inbetween can you keep doing 50m sprints?

If you want a killer workout, line 6 cones 5 m apart and roll a dice and sprint to that cone and turn quickly and sprint back. Get 30secs rest, then go again and again and again. Maybe roll twice, maybe roll three times. You are trying to imitate game situation where you'll rarely cover the same distance more than twice. My coach makes us do that.

I'm sure you can do this in an indoor sports gym? If it's snowing, you don't have games I'm guessing? If it's off season, the above workout is best for late preseason. Get you sharp for the in season.

Spoiler:
If you want something much worse, try tabata sprints. :twisted:

Met

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 25 Jan 2011, 21:53

i just decided to change it to

doing the 10 sets 10 reps of 10 yard sprints. but after each set i dont stop i keep jogging from the cone to back like 5-7 times then i start another set so its similar to interval training im never walking or stopping

Roywatson
New User

Post by Roywatson » 08 Feb 2011, 12:24

Well, I guess long distance running will be a direct attempt.