Lower Back Pain (especially when shooting or bending forward

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
mrbeankid22

Lower Back Pain (especially when shooting or bending forward

Post by mrbeankid22 » 27 Dec 2010, 17:05

Alright guys, read through another thread posted by another member but he/she seemed to have the exact opposite problem.

About a week ago, I was taking powerful long shots in training and I seemed to over-stretch or 'pull' my lower back. It didn't hurt too bad so I kept training. The next day, during regular team training, I felt it pull on my lower back when I tried sprinting. Ever since, every time I do something such as even jump in place, sprint, move side to side, or cross/shoot, I will feel discomfort in my lower back. As soon as I bend forward (bend over), I can really feel it, it is slight to the right side, lower back. I injured it primarily by shooting with my right foot.

Any idea what it could be? A back strain?

I rested 5 days with no soccer-related activity and hurts just as bad as the day I stopped playing.

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 27 Dec 2010, 17:58

I had the same injury, for which I posted a list of exercises and stretches to do:

viewtopic.php?p=194276#194276
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

Met

Post by Met » 27 Dec 2010, 20:25

I probably had the same problem. Mine was worse, I felt it everytime I moved. It was very painful to walk.

Best thing to do, not to stretch it. It hasn't healed yet. Give it time. If you want, take painkillers and once it's healed, when you no longer feel pain without pain killers, go see a sports massage therapist or a physiotherapist who has clients with sports injuries.

Trust me, they know what they are doing. The GP will tell you to take painkillers to mask the pain. You have to deal with the cause after the effect has gone or the effect will come back.

mrbeankid22

Post by mrbeankid22 » 28 Dec 2010, 02:40

Thanks for the replies. I browsed through the thread you posted and it seemed very helpful. The pain has subsided a bit (it's night time now), it should be nearly gone by tomorrow morning, the problem is I have team training for the next two days and then I will be off for 5 days before I have a game.

Any idea on how long it take for both of you guys to fully recover? I can take painkillers during games but I will really have to manage it, since our HS season is starting up next week and will be full on until mid-March. The school trainer was not present today but I decided to ice it. If I do manage to catch him up at the school, I should be able to get electro/stem therapy. I was stretching my back/hammies/quads ever since I picked up the injury, but I guess I shouldn't push it too far as you said. I'm fine with playing through the pain but won't be at 100%, even on Painkillers, I just don't want to risk making it worse at a vital time, just before the start of our season.

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 28 Dec 2010, 03:47

Because I continued to "play through the pain" for almost half a season, my injury lasted that entire time. However, after I started doing those exercises, it was fine in few weeks.

I'd advise against anything that strains your injury. Using painkillers will allow you to not feel pain, but you could make your injury worse by not being able to feel the pain.
Remember that pain means your body wants you to stop.

Instead, take a break from the back straining drills/activities. Work on the drills that guide (stretching the hamstring, calf and strengthening your core)
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

mrbeankid22

Post by mrbeankid22 » 30 Dec 2010, 06:51

PHYU, did you increase the duration/reps of the strengthening exercises each time? And did you do them daily or every other day? I've done them the past two days and my back feels a bit more stiff, maybe sore even.

Obviously the same pain is there. It's not evident until I start doing something that aggravates it, such as a light jog for about 30 sec and then I can start to feel it, or jumping in place for 10 seconds usually does the trick as well. I am hoping that an increasing progression in difficulty of the rehab exercises will help reduce the source of the pain slowly.

Just out of curiously, how did this injury happen to ya'll? I picked it up when taking an overstrenous shot, but I am curious to see how it happened to the two of you.

Met

Post by Met » 30 Dec 2010, 20:31

I really cannot stress how important it is why you have to go see the people I mentioned. I'm now tasked with reversing over 10 years of incorrect biomechanical movement. There may be underlying causes for you straining your lower back so, to be on the safe side, go see them. I was like this is expensive, but I realised it was cheap considering they will rid me of years of pain down the line.

I'm not sure how it happened, all I remember is that it was after a rugby game. I probably strained it somehow days before but because I took painkillers and carried on without thinking, made it worse. It was on a period where I was doing pretty taxing exercise on my body and especially the back e.g. field hockey, martial arts, badminton, football, rugby, everyday of the week, sometimes twice in one day. So it could have been anyone of those. I could barely walk to my classes even with an overdose of painkillers.

mrbeankid22

Post by mrbeankid22 » 15 Jan 2011, 14:56

Thanks for the advice Met. I went to my school trainer he analysed the injury and deemed it a muscular issue. After having the recovery of my injury remain stagnant for two weeks, despite resting, I was able to begin electrotherapy and resume training with little pain within 3 days. It's been nearly two weeks since I began getting the electro-therapy treatment. Yesterday I managed to play a full game with no pain whatsoever. I can't say how much that the treatment has helped, I'm so glad I have free access to it while I am attending my school. I'm sure electro-therapy sessions that are given privately must be very expensive.

Met

Post by Met » 16 Jan 2011, 14:04

Awesome. always happy to help. Never heard of electro therapy. I'll be honest, I'm imagining you gettting shocked. It probably isn't that but you know imagination... No one ever says but what you do now has a lot of consequences later on in life. When you get hurt now you might be strong enough to play through it and 20 years later its the same injury that will end your ability to play football.

Just go easy in training and matches. 2 weeks is a lot of time to be doing nothing. You see people like Ramsey getting their bones broken and their out for a year. Actually it might heal in 4/5months with the medical advances we have, but getting back to that level of fitness and intensity takes a long while.

mrbeankid22

Post by mrbeankid22 » 16 Jan 2011, 18:10

Yeah I've tried to keep my training limited to only what we do for our school training/games. I usually would train an additional 1-2 hrs or play pick up after school training, but I'll continue to refrain from that for another week or two.