Sore Hamstrings after training

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Ward9310

Sore Hamstrings after training

Post by Ward9310 » 12 Nov 2010, 18:09

I've just recently started a new training routine specifically for fitness, speed and close control/dribbling.

My training is split up over 5 days (Monday to Friday), Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays are my "technical" days, in which I do all the ball work and sprinting.

Tuesday and Thursday are my fitness days.

It's also important to note that I warm up and cool down thoroughly before and after training, and also, I really put myself through my paces, I train to my limit.

After my "technical" days, I've noticed that my hamstrings are quite sore afterwards, and because his is my first intense training routine, I was just wondering if this is normal, and will go as the weeks progress.

Thanks in advance.

InterDeLaChance
Sophomore Member

Re: Sore Hamstrings after training

Post by InterDeLaChance » 12 Nov 2010, 18:19

Ward9310 wrote:I've just recently started a new training routine specifically for fitness, speed and close control/dribbling.

My training is split up over 5 days (Monday to Friday), Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays are my "technical" days, in which I do all the ball work and sprinting.

Tuesday and Thursday are my fitness days.

It's also important to note that I warm up and cool down thoroughly before and after training, and also, I really put myself through my paces, I train to my limit.

After my "technical" days, I've noticed that my hamstrings are quite sore afterwards, and because his is my first intense training routine, I was just wondering if this is normal, and will go as the weeks progress.

Thanks in advance.
Yeah if you're stretching and doing things right then you are fine.

Met

Post by Met » 12 Nov 2010, 19:22

Close control/ dribbling, quick acceleration and shorter slowing down distances. Hamstrings are feeling the unaccustomed pressure of doing that repatedly. It's called DOMS, delayed onset muscle sorness but after reading around it's better to be called "exercise induced muscle damage". Unfortunately, warm up and cool down doesn't help much. I suspect just helps your cardiovascular system. They will get used to it. However, do not train with sore muscles. They are repairing and will easily develop a tear as they are in a weak state. That extra rest day is worth it as it will save you from 4/5 weeks or more from recovering from a tear. Also, you can't go hard when you are feeling sore.

I've also started a new routine. I actually like the feeling of soreness. It makes me go, "good session, I trashed my body, it gets the message that it has to get better".

Hope I've helped,
Met

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 12 Nov 2010, 22:11

wow didn't know this thanks met i've always wondered why that happened to me as well. :D

Ward9310

Post by Ward9310 » 13 Nov 2010, 11:34

Thanks for the responses guys, especially you Met, that was a very good post :)

I really agree with this part too:
I've also started a new routine. I actually like the feeling of soreness. It makes me go, "good session, I trashed my body, it gets the message that it has to get better".
Did my sprints etc. yesterday so my hamstrings are a little sore again today, but luckily (in a way) for me is that my match has been called off because of the rain, so I get an extra rest day :)

Met

Post by Met » 13 Nov 2010, 17:41

Ward9310 wrote: Did my sprints etc. yesterday so my hamstrings are a little sore again today, but luckily (in a way) for me is that my match has been called off because of the rain, so I get an extra rest day :)
I was actually pondering whether or not to mention this. Please give yourself at least 24 hours before your match. Give your body time to recover. Do nothing. Rather than train visualise instead.

Pro's do tactics, making sure they are sharp, light training the day before a match.

I know it's annoying but you should have done all your building/ developing of skills, muscles, fitness etc. all in pre season. When it's matches every saturday you should be just maintaining all your pre season work with 1 or 2 hard sessions per week. Ever heard of "3 to gain, 2 to maintain"? My PE teacher told me it. Match replaces your 3rd hard session of the pre season. Soon, especially near end of the season, recovery will be paramount. Don't do too much now because you won't last the whole season. You may be young but I bet you don't have access to Premeirship physio's that get the pro's playing every week for 11 months of the year. (World cup / euro before you disagree with me :P). On technical days as you put it, do drills that do not tire you out. It's all about quality not quantity.

Actually it feels odd when you are totally pain free.
Met