Drinking 2 Litres of Water

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
FootballPlayer94
Sophomore Member

Drinking 2 Litres of Water

Post by FootballPlayer94 » 20 Oct 2010, 12:06

What will Drinking 2 Litres of Water a day do for me? Apart from making me go to the Toilet alot

Met

Post by Met » 20 Oct 2010, 17:06

Nothing.

In fact it may actually be harmful for you. For reasons I can't remember but can find out if you want.

During caveman times, do you think they made sure they drank 2 litres everyday? Nah, they trusted their thirst. And that's what you should do. If you are thirsty, drink. If you are not, don't. Many people forget that you get alot of H2O from your food aswell.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 20 Oct 2010, 18:19

Met is right listen to your body. Every body is different there is no set amount of water you need to drink. As Met said lots of water is in foods especially veggies.

soccerjunkie

Post by soccerjunkie » 02 Dec 2010, 21:19

Met wrote:During caveman times, do you think they made sure they drank 2 litres everyday? Nah, they trusted their thirst. And that's what you should do. If you are thirsty, drink. If you are not, don't. Many people forget that you get alot of H2O from your food aswell.
So you think that in prehistoric times, cavemen were in peak physical condition?

I dont know if drinking to much water can be harmful, but you certainly have to drink a lot. If you are thirsty, then that means your body is already dehydrated.

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member

Post by LiveTheDream » 02 Dec 2010, 23:31

Drink when you need to. Don't set a target ie 2 litres of water per day - Arsenal and Met are right, it can be harmful, it messes up the balance in your body (sorry, can't think of the slightly more technical terms :) )

This link should help a little though:
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/hydr ... ration.htm

This link also explains what happens if you drink too much water:
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/hydr ... tremia.htm
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better

Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 03 Dec 2010, 00:10

Everyone should drink water as part of a healthy diet. You should drink enough water to keep your body hydrated. I think this is generally 1-2 litres a day spread throughout the couse of the day.

Obviously your requirements will be increased if you are taking part in any exercise or training. You could find yourself drinking 3-4 litres of fluid which is perfectly healthy as well.

Its all about you drinking the sufficient ammount to keep you hydrated on any given day, not a preset ammount.

Dont listen to the rubbish that drinking 2 litres can be harmful, for the purpose of everyday life it is not an issue.

As said before drinking water will help your body and you will notice a difference if you drank little or no water before. Your body will be hydrated which will appear to give you more energy. (in reality all you are doing is avoiding the effects of dehydration eg. tiredness) There are many other health benefits.

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 08 Dec 2010, 01:54

You need hydration. Cavemen weren't in shape, and how would you know how much they drank anyway. Terrible comparison.

The body is 75% water. To perform anywhere near your top level, you should be drinking a ton of water to stay hydrated. 2 liters of water is on a day when you're not exercising or playing soccer at all. Up that to at LEAST 3-4 liters when you're doing physical activity.

Honestly, when I'm making sure I'm performing at my peak, especially in hot conditions, I do know I can get over 4 liters per day in total.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 08 Dec 2010, 08:20

It is said that when you feel thirsty it's a sign that your body is already dehydrated. So it's probably a good idea to drink water even if you don't feel like it. Personally, I've noticed that I have more energy when I drink a lot of water and I don't get hungry as often.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 08 Dec 2010, 09:00

I'll just add something I got off of a strength and conditioning coach a while back. Some people don't have the ability to spread out their water intake due to schedule, etc. but try your best.

He basically said if you have to urinate roughly every 45 minutes, you're trying to drink too much water too quickly. I keep some Gatorade powder in my bag to add to water after training on the go to replace salts but try to drink a decent amount throughout the day to avoid simply pushing it through my body. Listen to your body but I thought I'd add a physical sign to help you out further.

Sherard
New User

Re: Drinking 2 Litres of Water

Post by Sherard » 13 Mar 2014, 11:45

FootballPlayer94 wrote:What will Drinking 2 Litres of Water a day do for me? Apart from making me go to the Toilet alot
Drinking 2 litres of water a day regulate your body temperature, prevent you from dehydration, improve metabolism and help in losing extra body weight.
Doctors Studio
Lisbeth Roy, D.O.
6400 N Andrews Avenue Suite 120
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
561 - 444 - 7751