Severe Tailbone Bruise.

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

This is not by any means a soccer related injury, or one that interferes with my competitive play as we enter our brief off-season, but it's one that causes me great discomfort, and I would appreciate any and all help.

This Labour Day weekend during an ATV misadventure, I severely bruised my tailbone. A doctor checked it out, I had x-rays and they confirmed nothing was fractured. He gave me some Advil and sent me on my way.

Should I be trying to ice it on and off? It's pretty much right above my ass crack, directly on the bone. Sitting down is hard, and getting up, even harder. Walking is very slow and I can't even touch my toes anymore when I used to be able to touch them, as well as put my head off my knees. :p

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can make my recovery more bearable aside from rest and relaxation?

brasil_soccer9

Ouch buddy, I know how you feel I injured my tailbone awhile back while playing soccer. I'm not sure what I can tell you ... what did the doc tell you to do?

You can try icing it, but I'm not sure if it will work. Won't hurt to try tho. Good luck buddy!

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Not much, he just gave me Advil and sent me on my way. :p

It's been more than a week since, though, and I've slowly gotten my range of movement back. I should be perfect in a couple days.

Met

For future reference, a good friend of mine gave me this information.
Tailbone Injury Treatment
Self-Care at Home

Coccyx injuries are often extremely painful, so home care is aimed at controlling pain and avoiding further irritation to the coccyx.

•Avoid sitting down for long periods of time. When seated, sit on hard surfaces and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.
•For traumatic injuries, apply ice to the tailbone area for 15-20 minutes, four times a day, for the first few days after the injury.
•Use ibuprofen (Advil), or a similar pain medicine, as directed on the label for pain control.
•You can purchase a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface.
•Eat foods high in fiber to soften stools and avoid constipation.
Oh yea, his name is Google. :)
Met

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Oh yea, his name is Google
You know him too!? Is his last name Plex?

RL, in addition to what everyone else has said, try to make sure you're getting a good supply of nutrition to speed up healing. Food rich in vitamins E and B should help out.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

I'm quite aware of the availability of Google, and I have used it. :P The point of me making this thread was, I wanted to know if anyone had any specific, personal experience with my injury that they could relate to me.

Thanks for the help at any rate though, things seem to be coming along.