Help with training routine

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
p793
Veteran Member

Help with training routine

Post by p793 » 19 Jun 2010, 19:33

I have just created this routine is it too much or does anything need tweaking?
Last edited by p793 on 19 Jun 2010, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 20 Jun 2010, 01:51

your weight routine looks really good, but what about cardio and speed training?
for technical, i wouldn't rely so heavily on the nike master drills. i don't know much about them, but i think a larger variety of training would be more productive. there are some good drills in the featured articles section of this forum.

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 20 Jun 2010, 17:21

Thanks the Nike drills are very good, but only last 4 weeks so for now I will complete them and then move onto something else, and then redo them in the future.
So I should incorperate cardio and speed training into here, would this be too much work that may cause an injury or is it okay amount?

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 20 Jun 2010, 17:29

Thanks the Nike drills are very good, but only last 4 weeks so for now I will complete them and then move onto something else, and then redo them in the future.
So I should incorperate cardio and speed training into here, would this be too much work that may cause an injury or is it okay amount? Also i'm cautios as to adding speed and stamina exersizes i will be very tired when completing techincal training? Advise me.... :P x

Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 20 Jun 2010, 18:31

Well, what exactly are you even training for? What do YOU want to do\improve on? Please don't say everything, because that's obvious. Name some specific aspects of your game you'd like to improve. I mean without knowing what you're trying to do we have nothing to base if this routine is "good".
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 22 Jun 2010, 00:07

Icy wrote:Well, what exactly are you even training for? What do YOU want to do\improve on? Please don't say everything, because that's obvious. Name some specific aspects of your game you'd like to improve. I mean without knowing what you're trying to do we have nothing to base if this routine is "good".
What I am training for?
Primarily, like a lot of other people on this forum, is to train to sign a professional football contract.
I was spurred on to attend a trial by my friends dad, my friend is in the best academy in England. I was told to improve my positional, physical and decision making, technically I am very good, but I still want to improve even more.

What I want to improve?
Well everything, as I am not perfect by any means, but specifically I want to improve my:
Stamina
Speed
Stength
Shots
Positional Play
(I know some of theese weaknesses do not corrospond with my routine, but I have only singled out what I need to improve after the routine was created.)

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 22 Jun 2010, 21:48

So, I want to know if I can incorperate stamina and speed workouts into this routine, and will it be too much, and what stamina and speed routines I should do, I can not find any great threads

soccerjj

Post by soccerjj » 22 Jun 2010, 22:11

I think the routine is quite poor tbh.

Firstly overall you need more technical work with at least a bit of dribbling. passing, first touch work on your own.

Secondly i think the weights program you have made is not good as the reps are too high to improve your strength and speed too much. You need lower reps to build strength and speed. You will build a lot of muscle but not quite so much strength. You can add on higher reps at end for endurance.

Weaknesses

Stamina

The stamina work you have got is the high rep weights, swimming and footy games. I would keep footy and swimming but i would also add some more specific high intensity sprints at some time and just keep going and going making sure you are sprinting. e.g. repeat 100 m sprints.

With high rep weights i would add in a short complex of exercises high rep right at the end if you want for a quick stamina booster if you are not too tired.

Speed

First of all take away leg extensions, calf raises and shrugs as they are pointless.

Secondly make most exercises around 5 reps especially lower body ones.

Thirdly add in squats.

RELATIVE STRENGTH=SPEED

Finally you can add a few dynamic exercise such as high intensity low rep jumps for power and a few sprints when u have time when fresh.

Stength

Exactly what i said for speed , make sure you eat loads.

Shots

Do nike accuracy but you need MORE to be pro.

For 20 mins a few times per day go out and work on a certain type of shot. E.G. Instep drives standstill, moving ball, curlers, long shots, top/ bottom corner sied foot shots all angles.

Positional Play

Play more football matches.

Watch pros in your position.

Tell me what you think. Please. :D

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

Post by MUFC1994 » 22 Jun 2010, 22:27

soccerjj wrote: Speed

First of all take away leg extensions, calf raises and shrugs as they are pointless.
Can you please elaborate on why you think these are pointless? Because I find that all three to be useful in a routine.
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

soccerjj

Post by soccerjj » 22 Jun 2010, 22:53

First they are noy COMPLETELY pointless but i think ther are no point for him from an athletes point of view because:

LEG EXTENSIONS

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_arti ... extensions

AND

It wont help speed that much because the movement you do on leg extension is not like during a sprint or jump. While if you think about it the movement is highly different from either those two.

CALF RAISES

Calve strength is not very important in jumping or sprinting at all.
Try jumping without bending your knees!

Strong shoulders help speed more than strong calves.

Also if you do high reps on calf raises instead of building Myofibrillar Hypertrophy which you build with lower reps and is the contract and tensional muscles

Instead you will build with higher reps Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy which is non-contractile muscle cell fluid and body builder do these reps as it makes them bigger and helps them feel the burn.

Now as the calves burn more when you start running you will notice them burning before your lung and rest of body feel it and it will be hard to fight through.

I had a personal experience of this.

Shrugs

These are not too bad but they are an isolation exercise and he is already hitting his traps and traps are not that important for football.

Sorry for poor writing as i was rushing.

Why do you think these exercises are good? ( have i changed your mind?)

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 22 Jun 2010, 22:54

Okay thanks for the posts, I have edited and improved my routine which is now currently a great physical routine.
I have added everything but techincal training into here, and thats where I need your help guys, soccerjj thinks I should have a larger repituawe of technical training, so what should I do?

Here is the new routine (Technical training is purposely empty):

Saturday is left out as it is my day of rest

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 22 Jun 2010, 23:03

Also I would like to state i'm doing higher rep with legs but on low weight, to improve speed and explosiveness so I will not change rep amount, but if I do remove calf raises and leg extensions should I replace them with anything, and what are other peoples views on soccerjjs points?
Apreciate all the help guys

soccerjj

Post by soccerjj » 22 Jun 2010, 23:28

Ok if thats what you think but i think low reps is better for speed.

I dont think you need to add anything if you take those exercises out. You are doing a lot of training as it is.

As p793 it would be good if others said what they think do they agree with me, him or a bit in between :)

Technical drills

SHOOTING

This is incredible

viewtopic.php?t=3066

1) obviously you can shoot into the corners of a net.

2) After two weeks change to moving ball, then two more weeks and after a turn/ feint, then two more and after trapping the ball etc. Use your imagination

CONTROL

http://expertfootball.com/gossip/answer.php?qid=535

Use this think of anything, kick against wall for air control etc.

DRIBBLING

Just dribble around
OR
Set cones out to practice inch perfect cuts
OR
Practice GOOD feints.

Finally kick arounds with mates are good for technique ( pick up/ street football)

RVP and rooney played loads on streets.

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 22 Jun 2010, 23:29

Also just been told that Bicep and forearms are totally irrelivant as they are not required for speed and therefore are unwanted mass? True or false? Usain bolt looks as though he has pretty big biceps?
And is it such a main factor, or should I just follow the gym routine as I found it (for soccer players)

I'm 16, 6, 1, quick feet, intellegent player

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 22 Jun 2010, 23:31

thankyou great reply soccerjj