Best ankle brace?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
steffyv
Sophomore Member

I have been having major problems with my ankles since hurting my right last fall all the way up to rolling my left one three weeks ago. I am about to start back training for what feels like the 5th time over the past year due to this problem. I am in physical therapy and am taking very good care of my ankles, but was wondering what kind of braces you could recommend for daily use in training and playing, money is no object as my career is at stake here.

Thanks.

RoryBen
New User

I'd recommend taping over bracing.

Braces are bulkier than a layer of strapping tape, so your boots won't fit properly any more. If you put your boots on over a brace anyway, I've found that my touch goes and everything feels odd. Taping is just as effective but without the bulk.

How you tape depends on which ligament you've injured, so I'd recommend a google search (or a chat with a professional...!). I sprained the ligament on the outside of my ankle, and my physio showed me how to strap it using stirrups and anchors - also called a basket weave. Basically, you stick some tape on the inner side of your leg, with the tape pointing downwards. You then wrap it around your heel and pull it up and stick it to the outside of your leg. This is the stirrup. You then secure both ends by sticking a length of tape around your calf. Then you put another stirrup on, further forwards from the first one, but slightly overlapping, and anchor again, etc etc. Make sure you pull the stirrups up when you fix them to the outside of your calf - it's that pre-tension that protects the ligament.

I've tried to find some good pictures - have a look here. The last three images here show an open basket weave, which is what I was applying: http://sportsmedicineinternational.com/ ... ping-ankle. I'm sure there's loads on youtube too but I can't access it at work.

Remember - don't use taping or strapping as a miracle cure that lets you instantly return to full training. Let the injury heal first or you will suffer a recurrence. I badly sprained my ankle in February and 4 months later I'm only just returning to training.

steffyv
Sophomore Member

Thanks for the reply but I am still looking for a solution that involves a brace as I don't want to be messing around with tape everyday versus just putting a good brace on. If anyone has any recommendations of a good soccer specific brace I would appreciate it.