Quickness

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
styale18

hey im new, im a defender and im 14 from new york .... attackers usually r quicker than me and i wanted to know how i could get quicker even tho im flat footed

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Try doing stairs:

viewtopic.php?p=199743#199743

Also, go up any stairs you climb at school one step at a time. If you're in a hurry, go up one step at a time faster :D
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

styale18

good advice ... thanks

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Exercises could help but it also could be your body position that slows you even further. You should always have a lead foot and a foot dropped back to help you back up and change directions. Defense can be just as much about containment as it is about actually stealing the ball. Just be in a mode of being on the balls of your feet, reducing the chance of being left flatfooted on a quick move. In regards to your lead foot, it's all about pushing your mark in the direction you want them to go(i.e. an area with less space rather than more or more teammates to pass to). I have a couple defenders on my team that are ridiculously slow but very effective at containment and positioning so you don't even notice how slow they really are.

styale18

i do the leadfoot and backfoot thing but flat feet makes everything a little harder

TommyGun
Veteran Member

gotcha. if you have access to a speed ladder, that's great as well. anything to get your feet moving vertically or horizontally with speed can't hurt. try the stairs thing first because that's easily accessible.

soccer11
Admin

Work on lateral quickness. Put cones 20 or 40 yards apart and go side to side as fast as you can
and while the cones are set up like that, do some shuttle runs too
http://www.topendsports.com/testing/tests/shuttle.htm

evo

TommyGun wrote:Exercises could help but it also could be your body position that slows you even further. You should always have a lead foot and a foot dropped back to help you back up and change directions. Defense can be just as much about containment as it is about actually stealing the ball. Just be in a mode of being on the balls of your feet, reducing the chance of being left flatfooted on a quick move. In regards to your lead foot, it's all about pushing your mark in the direction you want them to go(i.e. an area with less space rather than more or more teammates to pass to). I have a couple defenders on my team that are ridiculously slow but very effective at containment and positioning so you don't even notice how slow they really are.
This is excellent advice. Think about it this way, many attackers are almost as fast as olympic sprinters yet defenders are much much slower. Christiano Ronaldo would be able to jog past some of the defenders he plays against but the majority of times defenders win the ball because of the way they position the body.

klc123
Veteran Member

Yeahh, when Ronaldo has space to use his pace, as soon as he knocked the ball past a defender, the only way to stop him is to foul him.

Sprinters technique is just as much important as how big their legs are. You want to be using an economic and effective technique, that allows you to run as fast as possible, and also as long as possible. If you go on google you can find unbelievable amounts of topics and articles on this.

I'll go over some of the basic technique things you need to do.

- Arms driving backwards and forwards, not side to side.
-Elbow at a 90 degree angle.
-Fingers extended, but not necessarily locked together, you won't want to be tense, but you don't want them to be very loose and flapping about.
-Keep your arms low, many people make the mistake of pumping their arms too high, instead, think of pumping your hands backwards and forwards, your elbow-right-angle should be constant for the whole run, your hands should get to about in line with your waste on the back swing of your arms, but never behind your body, and on the forwards "pump" they should never go higher then your neck level.
-Your back should be erect with your pelvis/hips pointing directly forwards.
-face relaxed, neck maintaining level head, although not tensed.
-Balls of your feet (near your toes) should be the only parts of the foot that contact the floor.
-Drive Knee forwards.
-When at/approaching top speed, foot should contact the floor on your centre of gravity, or slightly ahead of it.
-Ankle dorsiflexed at all times during leg action, however, once ball of foot is in contact with floor, you should be extending your ankle as you drive your leg backwards to propel yourself forwards at a greater velocity. This can make the difference of half a second over the course of a 100m, which is massive.
-The less your in contact with the floor, the faster you go. Try not to leave your foot on the ground too long, as that is the same as driving a car with the breaks on.

I hope some of these tips benefit you. A good drill to improve sprinting technique is to jog on the spot but pretend you are running on broken glass or hot coals, so that your focused of getting your foot off the floor the instant it comes into contact with it. Do this for about 20 seconds, then have a 30 second normal jog on the spot, then back to the quick feet. This encourages you to have faster feet while sprinting, and also while dribbling/playing football.

styale18

good advice klc .... ive heard about sprint technique but always forget to try it .... this will help ... thanks

styale18

do high knees and butt kicks help also .... and @klc....u just mean quick keet right?

Juice

If you got a iphone, get the master speed app. It has great exercises to get faster... Some of them are locked until June I think, Luckily Iv got them already, and I can tell you that those exercise are great to, so stay tuned until then. :D

The most important key to success is self-confidence.
The most important key to self-confidence is preparation.

styale18

is there any way i can still see the speed videos because i dont have one

klc123
Veteran Member

How did you get them early? I have accuracy and control but none of the good speed ones are out.

But yeah I find the control and accuracy ones really useful.

Juice

Styale.. If you buy the new nike lasers, ctr360 ore the vapors/superflys you can see it on the computer.

Klc123 .. Hahah I kind off hacked the app.. There will come some good speed drills, some of them are made by a known danish fitness coach called Jens Bangsbo and some are from the brazil Youth team.

Could you see result after you finished the contol and accuracy ? .. I want to try it but cant find anybody who is comited to train atleast 3 times a week :(

The most important key to success is self-confidence.
The most important key to self-confidence is preparation.