How fast should a footballer run a mile?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
BayernFan
New User

Post by BayernFan » 28 Jan 2010, 02:40

Nat_H wrote:
BayernFan wrote:
Nat_H wrote: Hmmm yes, it is lower than I had thought it was...
haha yeah the national hs record is 3:53..
I know lol. Remember though, we are talking about soccer players, not track stars. You could not be able to run the mile in twice that time, and still have a spot on some HS soccer teams.
haha i know man.. of course were not expected to go out and run an amazingly fast time. and yeah i agree with what you said some players may not be able to run a fast mile but are still great players. its just that as an athlete i think you should be under 6 minutes easily.

ITALY21
New User

Post by ITALY21 » 10 Feb 2010, 02:36

no your all wrong a football player should be able to run his mile under 7 minutes

foodsample

Post by foodsample » 10 Feb 2010, 03:25

Also, while playing soccer, you will not be trying to run a consistent speed for 6-7 minutes. You will mostly be doing a mix of sprints/jogs/walks, on and off for extended period of time. It is important to do long jogs/runs to keep you cardio up, so that you last the whole game. But more important I think is your bodies recovery ability, because you do have chances to walk/rest, but you need to be efficient so that you can then go full speed when you need to, and arn't caught off guard catching ur breath from the last play.
"Y lo uvieras pegado al uno o dos que te salian?"
"O la hubiese tirado a la mierda, como lo hago siempre"

Mascherano ftw!

"Focus on the effort, not the results.. then results will come"

Live by it

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

Post by MUFC1994 » 10 Feb 2010, 04:06

ITALY21 wrote:no your all wrong a football player should be able to run his mile under 7 minutes
God has spoken! :wink:
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

ITALY21
New User

Post by ITALY21 » 03 Mar 2010, 04:30

what

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 03 Mar 2010, 08:25

ITALY21 wrote:what
If you truely are a serious person, not a kid or anyone else playing games with an account then here is your answer..

He said, "God has spoken", in a sarcastical tone.

Why?

Cause you said all the previous answers before you, where wrong, which is a pretty bold move.. And then, you said an answer which was the furthest from wrong.. Thats why you got a sarcastic response.

A professional football player should run a mile at around 4-5 ,.. I know this for sure cause I ran a 4.50, after training for a full season. Professiional footballers play at a faster pace and higher level than me, if I ran 4.50, that means that the slowest fattest most out of shape footballer, which is at a much higher level than me should be able to run faster than me... Therefore between a 4.00 and 5-00
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

cheem26
New User

not that fast

Post by cheem26 » 04 Mar 2010, 10:01

i was a fairly decent runner in my day (4:06.8 in the mile etc etc) and i know u have to do some really specialized training to run near four minutes in the mile. while they are world class athletes i doubt any of them can do that. i would say anywhere between 5 and 4:20ish for the top players. u are looking at raw speed and recovery when u are talking about the world class footballers of today. they arent worried about there mile times although im sure some are quite speedy in the mile.

Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 04 Mar 2010, 18:27

Cheem is 100% correct. Getting down to a 5 minute mile for anyone playing at the highest level is very much a guarantee. Shaving that next minute off down to a 4 minute mile is completely different though. Cutting it down 5 minutes from a 10 minute mile (for an absolute beginner) to a 5 minute mile is a walk in the park compared to the next 1 minute down to a 4.

The lower you get in time the more dedicate you have to be to even take off a few seconds let alone an entire minute. That being said I pretty much agree with Cheems range of 4:20ish to 5 for the top players
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"