Ankle Problems

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
mr_dude

During a game 3 weeks ago, I had a collision which led to the guy falling on my ankle. That=ouch. My ankle swelled up and I couldn't walk on it for the following 3 days, I took an anti-inflamatory for about 4-5 days, then I was able to walk without any pain.
Now, I can walk, run, even sprint, without feeling any pain. I can dribble, pass and shoot with the inside of my foot, but: 1) it's still partly inflamed 2) anything that pushes my foot down hurts a lot, even if it's very light pressure, that means I can't do instep drives, jump properly, outside foot, chip, volley, etc.
This is my first long-lasting injury, that's why I'm clueless. Any advice on healing faster? I'm still hunting for a good sport-injuries doctor.
Thanks.
"A match isn't lost until after it's over." Me
"The greatest glory in life lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Nelson Mandella

Kasaki
Veteran Member

Did u R.I.C.E it?
Rest: Resting is important immediately after injury for two reasons. First, rest is vital to protect the injured muscle, tendon, ligament or other tissue from further injury. Second, your body needs to rest so it has the energy it needs to heal itself most effectively.

Ice: Use ice bags, cold packs or even a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a thin towel to provide cold to the injured area. Cold can provide short-term pain relief. It also limits swelling by reducing blood flow to the injured area. Keep in mind, though, that you should never leave ice on an injury for more than 15-20 minutes at a time. Longer exposure can damage your skin. The best rule is to apply cold compresses for 15 minutes and then leave them off for at least 20 minutes.

Compression: Compression helps limit and reduce swelling, which slows down healing. Some people also experience pain relief from compression. An easy way to compress the area of the injury is to wrap an ACE bandage around the swollen part. If you feel throbbing, or if the wrap just feels too tight, remove the bandage and re-wrap the area so the bandage is a little looser.

Elevation: Elevating an injury reduces swelling. It's most effective when the injured area is raised above the level of the heart. For example, if you injure an ankle, try lying on your bed with your foot propped on one or two pillows.

Solid0Snake

I think you have the same problem as I do at the moment.
For me, I also had an impact damage where I mis-cued my shot and ended up kicking someone's leg, and most of the impact was on the outside of the foot.
Surprisingly, when I went to the doctor he told me that the problem was aggrevated by the impact, but not caused by it.
The cause is your shoes. Depending on your feet, your shoes might not be supporting them correctly. For my case, my feet has high-arch and since I changed the brand of my foot I had the problem, but I have now gone back to my old brand and it feels a bit better.

What the doctor suggested I do is the following for 6 weeks on a daily basis:
Soaking my feet in hot water for 10 minutes, then icing it for 10 minutes. This should be done before you sleep.

He also suggested I changed my shoe, which is why I did. Also, he told me that it's ok to play as long as I do the treatment above which is called shock-therapy.

The reason it happened in my case is this: my foot is a high-arch type and was not getting the support from the shoe around the arch area, which caused the foot to lean on the outside part, specifically the bone. When that happens, it creates pressure on the ligaments around it which causes pain.

Hope you get better. I'm almost two weeks into treatment and it's getting a little better.

mr_dude

Thanks for the responses.
Kasaki, I did indeed RICE it, I've rested my injured (right) ankle for so long that my left leg is getting sore from the extra stress I've put on it. I iced it the whole day of the injury, and I've been wearing an elastic ankle brace/wrapped my ankle (I switched from the wrappy thing to the brace). Elevation I've slacked a little, but I do it anyway when I'm on the computer.
It's funny that you mention sleep, because I think that's my biggest problem. I subconciously pivot my feet back and forth, any if my ankle felt really good before I went to bed, it would start hurting again when I wake up.
And Snakybaby, that might make sense. I got new shoes, and they hurt the balls of my feet, so I got shock absorbing insoles, but they're still not as good as the shoes I used before, which cost half as much. And I'll try the warm then ice thing, but does it work without water? Because sometimes I hold my foot out in front of a hot air source, then hold my ankle with my cold hands.
Cool.
"The greatest glory in life lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Nelson Mandella

Solid0Snake

I dunno if it works without water, as that was what the doctor had suggested.

But that's exactly what I suffered from when I bought the new shoes; pain in the insoles of the foot. I eager you to change the shoes soon because they might cause more problems like they have to me, when I now suffer from patelloformal pain syndrome (kneecap pain). It's amazing how much your foot posture can affect your legs.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

jz hit it a few times ne bend it back ito itsss place lol

mr_dude

Wanderer, I tried your suggestion. It worked. Used a big sledgehammer just to be sure.
Anyway, I had an ultrasound about a month ago, and it revealed that my anterior talofibular ligament had undergone an oopsie. I haven't played since then, as the doctor told me to rest it. Again, it doesn't hurt, I've even played a few games on it since my last post, I'm not playing now because it's still in oopsie mode and any minor collision will cause a really serious injury. At worst it feels a little tender after excercise.
Anyone have suggestions to help speed up the full recovery? Doctor said just rest it, but I'm sure there's more to it.