will stretching everyday make me faster?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Juice

will stretching everyday make me faster?

Post by Juice » 29 Dec 2009, 19:04

Will i get faster if i stretch every muscle from waist down everyday? :)

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 29 Dec 2009, 19:16

It will make you more flexible resulting in your muscles been more powerful, coordinated and your technique and balance been better so yes, it will most definitely make you faster.

Wii Fit Plus makes you faster like nothing else to be honest, i can't believe how much its impacting my fitness, technique and performance.

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 29 Dec 2009, 19:38

Yes, but its not like one week of stretching and all the sudden you're Theo Walcott. Dedication to a program over a long time period of several months and you will be much more efficient in the categories of speed, quickness, and agility. It is definitely worth it, but you must be aware of this so as to not get discouraged. However, if you are extremely inflexible you will most likely notice some quick initial results.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 29 Dec 2009, 19:47

Work on your balance, flexibility and technique till all three are perfect, because that will make the biggest and most dramatic improvements to you, as these are generally things people get the most wrong, its not that their legs aren't strong enough, its just that their doing the wrong thing.

Juice

Post by Juice » 29 Dec 2009, 20:32

tanx for the answers:)
Ofc i understand that it wont make me so much faster, Im a small winger, im already quite fast but its never to bad to become half a second faster, its those margins that makes a diffirence in football:)

Like klc123 mentioned balance, flexibility and technique, but what about strength.
Should i work out my legs at the gym often? if yes, should i use heavy weights with few reps och light weights with alot of reps?

(excuse my english :P )

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 29 Dec 2009, 21:29

Your eager lol, thats good.

For building muscel strength, its a very complex issue. You see you want to build up your muscles so their overall power is much bigger, obviously resulting in more speed, but there are also ways to train your muscles so that they "twitch" faster. To do this, you need to train doing explosive movements. Doing shuttles/suacide runs will help this, plyometrics are one of the most powerful ways to train yourself, if you do these then you will be able to make yourself lightening fast.

When do you do weights, make sure you use proper technique, and never train to failure, if you do that at our age, you can damage your skeletal structuer and possibly damage your joints for life.

I reccomend starting with lighter weights and working your way up 2 and a half pounds each week, only exercising each muscle once a week, this will yield the best results, doing 3 sets of 10 reps.

If you look on the shooting or dribbling section on skills of this forum, there will be a topic i wrote on dorsiflexion, read it. Its a massive help to anyones technique. Good luck, and do loads of your own research to improve your training routeen and your technique/balance/flexbility.

Juice

Post by Juice » 29 Dec 2009, 21:53

okey, thank you so much for the info :)
I will read youre post.
Tanx

Juice

Post by Juice » 30 Dec 2009, 19:07

Hi again, haha i got one last question, and its regarding my technique.
I saw a instructial video that a 100m track runner made. He said that its important to have youre arms 90degrees bent and that you should not go over eye hight with the hand at front of you, hard to explain so here is a picutre of powell http://www.jamaicapage.com/wp-content/u ... -relay.jpg

When i run i tend to wave my arms almoste horizontally, very similar to Aaron Lennon, is that wrong? Cant i run at optimal speed with the technique i have?

Once again excuse my english , its not the languages i talk :)

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 30 Dec 2009, 19:50

Your english is superb don't worry.

How do you mean horizontally, do you mean that your fore-arms are parallel to the floor or that they are pointing down and moving horizonatally.

Either way, to be honest to have perfect technique and to run as fast as possible, you must have your elbow at roughly 90 degrees as the sprint instructor says, and you should not drive your arms forwards more than eye level because then their energy is going upwards, which we don't want, we want it going forwards to benefit your speed.

Juice

Post by Juice » 30 Dec 2009, 20:01

yes thats exactly what i mean:)
But anyway ill work on the technique:)
Tanx for the reply

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 30 Dec 2009, 20:08

You're perfectly welcome, don't hesitate to ask anymore questions, im here to help people when im not able to train myself.

Anymi
Veteran Member

Post by Anymi » 31 Dec 2009, 05:41

Hey man welcome.

Stride length is improved with strecthing. I feel it makes a huge difference in speed.

klc123 wrote:Your eager lol, thats good.

For building muscel strength, its a very complex issue. You see you want to build up your muscles so their overall power is much bigger, obviously resulting in more speed, but there are also ways to train your muscles so that they "twitch" faster. To do this, you need to train doing explosive movements. Doing shuttles/suacide runs will help this, plyometrics are one of the most powerful ways to train yourself, if you do these then you will be able to make yourself lightening fast.

When do you do weights, make sure you use proper technique, and never train to failure, if you do that at our age, you can damage your skeletal structuer and possibly damage your joints for life.

I reccomend starting with lighter weights and working your way up 2 and a half pounds each week, only exercising each muscle once a week, this will yield the best results, doing 3 sets of 10 reps.

If you look on the shooting or dribbling section on skills of this forum, there will be a topic i wrote on dorsiflexion, read it. Its a massive help to anyones technique. Good luck, and do loads of your own research to improve your training routeen and your technique/balance/flexbility.
Klc Im doing a max strength and power routine for about 3 months and just staying with steady training from there.

Juice this is what Im doing to my body to equate in faster more powerful movements. (im doing upper body for me to but for legsss.......)

1-2 times a week throughout Jan and early Feb im building max strength. Thats 5 reps and 3 sets of about 90% (1RM). This will make me stronger and build a better foundation. My movements are slow to medium. With about 3-5 mins break in between.

When mid to late Feb hits im converting my strength to power. Im adding a fewe more reps and slightly less weight if not the same and performing the action at explosive fast paces. This is with weights of course.

During this time im also going to do plyometrics and sprints. This will then convert my muscular power and teaching my body how to use the power ive sort of made. I dont really know what I am going to do at this stage but yeah..ill keep you in touch with how I am going.

Dont do isokinetic exercises much also. This is machine weights. Do free hand ones...they are more sport specific.

Good luck man

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 31 Dec 2009, 17:03

If you want to increase strength there are many ways to to it.

Speed or power/per second however you need to do anaerobic exercise.

So you want to be doing weights that push your muscles as close to 100% as possible with a low number of reps, i do 10, don't do any less than 8 per set and do 3 sets of that. Explosive movements aswel, so as quick as possible, for bench pressing for example, you would push up as fast as possible, and then go down slower, follow this pattern for everything, fast contraction, slower relaxion.

This will promote more fast twitch muscle fibres which contract much much faster ultimately making you much much faster.

As for plyometrics, you need to be doing them at as high a intensity as possible, so you would do maybe 1-2 minutes as fast and as hard as you can then with a 2-5 minute rest, then go again. This again encourages fast twitch muscle fibres which are more explosive and will make you faster than slow twitch.

Anymi
Veteran Member

Post by Anymi » 01 Jan 2010, 05:21

klc123 wrote:If you want to increase strength there are many ways to to it.

Speed or power/per second however you need to do anaerobic exercise.

So you want to be doing weights that push your muscles as close to 100% as possible with a low number of reps, i do 10, don't do any less than 8 per set and do 3 sets of that. Explosive movements aswel, so as quick as possible, for bench pressing for example, you would push up as fast as possible, and then go down slower, follow this pattern for everything, fast contraction, slower relaxion.

This will promote more fast twitch muscle fibres which contract much much faster ultimately making you much much faster.

As for plyometrics, you need to be doing them at as high a intensity as possible, so you would do maybe 1-2 minutes as fast and as hard as you can then with a 2-5 minute rest, then go again. This again encourages fast twitch muscle fibres which are more explosive and will make you faster than slow twitch.
Yeah man Im planning to do a similar regime but do you think my foundational, functional and max strength period of exercise is good?

PS Juice I stretch hammies and groins everyday. Good for speed

Juice

Post by Juice » 02 Jan 2010, 23:55

okey thanx for the post anymi :)
So i shouldnt use machines when i workout at the gym?

Klc
Have you heard about the P90X program, there is a 1hour plyometrics workout video, if you have seen it what do your think about it? should i do those exercises at a regular bases?