Increasing Acceleration/Speed - U14 Player

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
westers
New User

Increasing Acceleration/Speed - U14 Player

Post by westers » 21 Dec 2009, 22:16

Dear All,

I realise that there are several speed sections within the web site already, but I wanted to be a bit more specific. I’m currently a UEFA B coach working at a professional club as a coach. We recently had a U14 player on trial with us, he had great attributes including, strength, power, finishing. Unfortunately his speed let him down a little (over 10-15 yards) he has now been released from his trial but I know that with some correct training he could improve his speed and return in a year for another trial.

Does anyone have any information or links regarding speed training programs, which would be appropriate for a young person of the age U14? I would appreciate any feed back.

Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 21 Dec 2009, 22:43

Before I begin I want to say that it's great that you're wanting to help this player progress even if it might not affect your club. Great to see that.

There are no real questions so I'll give some information that you can dive into online. If you want just a direct answer from here I'll give it to you. I just don't see the point in typing up a few page informative post if you have just a few specific questions.

There are two types (well 3 but two are "closely" related) of muscle fiber that are the slow twitch and fast twitch fibers. Obviously fast twitch is what this athlete will need to be training. It's trained through explosive movements like sprinting, plyometrics, etc.

A very simple answer to this will be to have them do sprints between 20-50m and take a lot of rest per set. This is not intended to work on the classic idea of fitness but to force the body to be explosive. So a good work to rest ratio would be 1:5 or so.

Plyometrics would be something else great to look into. There is so much information for it it'd be stupid to just type it all out. If something doesn't make sense through a quick google search definitely ask. I have no problem elaborating.

Also, one thing that could show a very quick increase in aceleration would be their techinque. I cannot remember the exact figure but a couple years back I remember reading the movement of arms can contribute roughly 20% of speed. So make sure they are reallly pumping their arms. Technique should definitely be examined because it could show "quick" results compared to physical training.

Again, if you can think of specific answers then I'll be glad to answer. One thing I won't provide is a routine that'll make him quicker. I won't just because it matters so much on how that specific person responds to the training. So, if you're willing to take your own time to learn and keep track of how he is doing (while adjusting the routine) you could no doubt make an athlete to fear on the field.
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 21 Dec 2009, 22:54

Icy wrote:Before I begin I want to say that it's great that you're wanting to help this player progress even if it might not affect your club. Great to see that.

There are no real questions so I'll give some information that you can dive into online. If you want just a direct answer from here I'll give it to you. I just don't see the point in typing up a few page informative post if you have just a few specific questions.

There are two types (well 3 but two are "closely" related) of muscle fiber that are the slow twitch and fast twitch fibers. Obviously fast twitch is what this athlete will need to be training. It's trained through explosive movements like sprinting, plyometrics, etc.

A very simple answer to this will be to have them do sprints between 20-50m and take a lot of rest per set. This is not intended to work on the classic idea of fitness but to force the body to be explosive. So a good work to rest ratio would be 1:5 or so.

Plyometrics would be something else great to look into. There is so much information for it it'd be stupid to just type it all out. If something doesn't make sense through a quick google search definitely ask. I have no problem elaborating.

Also, one thing that could show a very quick increase in aceleration would be their techinque. I cannot remember the exact figure but a couple years back I remember reading the movement of arms can contribute roughly 20% of speed. So make sure they are reallly pumping their arms. Technique should definitely be examined because it could show "quick" results compared to physical training.

Again, if you can think of specific answers then I'll be glad to answer. One thing I won't provide is a routine that'll make him quicker. I won't just because it matters so much on how that specific person responds to the training. So, if you're willing to take your own time to learn and keep track of how he is doing (while adjusting the routine) you could no doubt make an athlete to fear on the field.
At the beginning of your sprint, keep your head down, as you accelerate to top speed slowly rise up into a upright position. Arm movement also matters. If I remember it has something to do with your circulatory system.

Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 21 Dec 2009, 23:04

Zlatan that's true although from my understanding the lean is more to put the force into a forward direction (and progress more upright for balance with speed). I've honestly never heard about the circulatory statement. I'm definitely going to look into it.

hieilukezz
New User

Post by hieilukezz » 22 Dec 2009, 03:12

Does a slow-twitch muscle can be a fast-twitch through constant training?
I'm slow.. I have slow speed and slow acceleration.

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 22 Dec 2009, 04:01

Icy, the arm movement has something to do with the circulatory system. The lean is the forward direction. My fault, I wasn't clear in my explanation.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 22 Dec 2009, 23:10

I really doubt it has something to do with the circulatory system, as pumping your arms if anything would take blood supply away from your legs meaning they get less oxygen+glucose and ultimately less respiration so they can do less action.

Arm movement does help though, it creates more forward momentum i think.

Either way, Icy, does doing weights built fast or slow twitch muscle fibres? I'm talking about low reps (8-12) but high weight. I know that builds muscle but im not entirely sure if that would benefit speed, it seems to for me but i also play football every day nearly.

Shuttles in my opinion are a tried a proven way to improve speed, they might not be the most efficient and effective way, and defintely not the fastest way to improve, but it does help alot, especially young players.

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 27 Dec 2009, 19:18

Zlatan5 wrote:Icy, the arm movement has something to do with the circulatory system. The lean is the forward direction. My fault, I wasn't clear in my explanation.
I was under the notion that arm movement simply helped propel one forward quicker. It is also a much more logical and fluid movement.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 27 Dec 2009, 19:50

Ok guys ive looked up some research on it and to do with center of gravities.

Basically, what makes us travel forwards is our muscles moving to move our center of gravity past our pivot point, our feet. This is why at the start of 100 metre racers, you start on all fours and drive forwards, as this yields the best acceleration. Its also why you should lean forward to get more speed and efficiency out of your running.

Its the same principal as jumping a distance, if you want to jump really far, you get a running start so you have forward momentum generated, and then you jump leaning foward to keep yourself going forwards instead of just going straight up into the air. What your actually doing when your lean forward is throwing your bodies centre of gravity forwards which makes you continue forwards at a higher velocity.

How does this thread in with arm movement? Well stand still and pump your arms as fast and hard as you can and you will find out. When your pump your arms as you start you can feel your weight moving and your back/waist/legs automatically compenstate so you don't fall over right?

Well whats actually happening is when your pump your arms forwards, your centre of gravity is moving forwards due to the laws of physics dictating momentum, which means you start to move fowards, and when your arms travel backwards the reverse happens.

In terms of running technique, to go faster we want our center of gravity as far forward as possible right? well pumping your arms forwards does this, every time you rapidly pump your arms foward as your running, your centre of gravity, which is already quite far forwards due to the running, shifts forward even more which makes you go even faster.

But we have a dilemma, in order to pump our arms foward, we must also bring them back into the starting position, and if we rapidly pump our arms back into the starting position, we will actually be countering our center of gravity and slowing ourself down.

So in order to compenstate for this, when olympic sprinters are using proper technique, they are pumping their arms fowards very rapidly and powerfully to get as much of a forward boost as possible, and then slowly and rather weakly bring them backwards as the other one rapidly pumps forwards, so their arm pumps forwards as fast as they can in as short a time as possible, and then spreading out the time they bring their arms back as the slower the bring their arms back the less counter momentum is created.

It should look like your sort of punching with your arm, very rapidly and powerfully, and then slowly bringing it back with no energy been exerted before a rapid throw forwards again.

If you do this, it will rapidly increase your running speed and efficiency. The world of science is full of lots of little things that can improve your technique and ultimately your performance, so keep looking out for these things guys, ive got loads of stuff to post up like this that will be massively useful to everyone so ill hopefully get that up soon.

Klc.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 27 Dec 2009, 20:10

Well, I went to this camp called Img Bolletieri Academies.. www.imgacademies.com..

In the early mornings at 7.00 am, we did all running tecnhique things..

At one point, we sat down on the floor, and he told us to lock are arms and move them as fast as we can, like if we were running..

We all kind of did it..

Then he asked.. Did anybody move or bounce a little bit?..

Everybody said no, He replied, well you should have moved, your arms are 25 % of your speed.. He sat on the floor, and started simulating the sprinting motion but just with his arms.. Next thing you know he was bouncing foward..

Next, we copied, and "magically" people started moving too..

He explained arms are like a lever, you move an arm, you move the opposing leg.. and so on...
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 27 Dec 2009, 21:04

Panchester, your coach had the right idea, just the wrong knowledge. Perhaps he thought it would be easier to tell you that because telling you about centres of gravity and principals of momentum is normally too much for most footballers brain to handle, but if you were sitting on the floor with your legs motionless, how would you move forward if moving your arms made your opposite leg push you forward, seeing how your sitting on your leg and its motionless lol?

Im fairly certain my explaination is correct.

Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 27 Dec 2009, 21:31

Klc it's not so much that it's too much for someones "brain to handle", but rather most people cannot teach well. Instead of using technical terms why not demonstrate and use words that the people would understand? Sadly I cannot think of a good example at the moment though. haha

Don't you learn new things by trying to relate it to things that you learned earlier in your life? This is how teaching must be done by eliminating technical words until the concepts underneath make sense.

On the topic though Panchester just used the wrong word. It's not so much "bouncing forward" as just lifting your body off the ground. As you really pump your arms from that position you'll come off the ground a bit (demonstrating the force your arms are producing).

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 27 Dec 2009, 22:18

klc123 wrote:Panchester, your coach had the right idea, just the wrong knowledge. Perhaps he thought it would be easier to tell you that because telling you about centres of gravity and principals of momentum is normally too much for most footballers brain to handle, but if you were sitting on the floor with your legs motionless, how would you move forward if moving your arms made your opposite leg push you forward, seeing how your sitting on your leg and its motionless lol?

Im fairly certain my explaination is correct.
Its two different ideas..

The first one, while sitting on the floor you can appreciate how the arm movement helps quite a bit, like we were talking 25% in fact it makes you move foward even while having your legs paralyzed, stiff, and sitting down.. And he wants to show that if you incorporate it to your running arsenal you can be much faster.. Now just moving your arms, without your legs can probably make you 12.5% faster..

The second one, is a different idea, its to show you are suppose to run, this time while standing up.. How you move one arm say left for example, and its supposed to be like a lever, that pulls the right leg.. Then you move your right arm, and its supposed to be like a lever that pulls your left leg.. Moving your arms in combination with your legs properly will most likely make you 25%

Thats all he wanted to say, and prove.

He meant to illustrate that you dont move left leg left arm like many do.. This is a part of what Icy was talking when reffering to technique and form.. Look at Usain Bolt doing it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nbjhpcZ9_g

Left Arm, Right Leg, Right Arm, Right Leg.. All super Fast BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM..
Soccer4Life wrote:
Zlatan5 wrote:Icy, the arm movement has something to do with the circulatory system. The lean is the forward direction. My fault, I wasn't clear in my explanation.
I was under the notion that arm movement simply helped propel one forward quicker. It is also a much more logical and fluid movement.
Much like she said
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

Beadling19
Sophomore Member

Post by Beadling19 » 27 Dec 2009, 23:12

work on your knee punch and your body position. I get trained by trainers who have trained proffesional football and baseball players so i know wha im talking about. Theres this training called "the wall" you might want to look it up but basically you run into a wall and work on your body shape and knee punch. The website is www.athleticelement.com. Check it out.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 27 Dec 2009, 23:36

Sorry panchester i wasn't trying to say your wrong.

What do you mean by a lever, do you mean it as a mental image for people to learn proper technique, that their right arm should go forwards with their left leg, or are you actually saying that pushing your right arm forwards makes your left leg go faster?

Because realisticly, theres not possible link between your arm muscles making your leg muscles contract more powerfully/quicker, the point of doing your right arm with your left leg and vise-versa is to keep your balance, if you ran with your left leg going forward and your left arm going forward at the same time, the principal of centre of gravity and moments would dictate that alot of energy gets wasted by not going straight forwards, some energy would go towards the right, which would make your speed slower and your sprint less efficient.

We both agree on one thing though, if you use your right arm pumping forwards as your left leg drives forwards, and the same for the opposite, then you will run much faster.

And beadling19, i wasn't trying to say that footballers are stupid, because that would be insulting myself and every other footballer, what i was trying to say is not every footballer was brilliant at science at school or is as intelligent as others, because everyone is at different abilities, so instead they might try to teach everyone the most simplistic way possible so they know it works and they should use the correct technique, and then the ones that want to learn why it works can find out themselfs throught their own research or asking for more procise information.

Its like this, you wouldn't say to someone to walk that they should be shifting their centre of gravity forwards to generate forwards momentum, because they would have no hope, instead you teach them that they put one leg in front of the other one and shift their weight, which is exactly the same thing, just without all the technical explainations. Then after they can walk, if they are interested then they can then find out why it actually works and how.

The reason i dived straight into technical terms is because realisticly, anyone that comes onto a football forum generally has enough intelligence to understand is because they probably do enough reading and also they are here because they want to learn, so why not let them learn the full picture instead of spoonfeeding people really fundamental principals.