Muscle Gain

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Right now I'm about 5'8". I want to add more muscle this Winter break, while I'm off from school. Right now I weigh in at 128 lbs at peak fitness. I used to weight about 115 lbs before I started working out a few years ago.

--My goal is 10-15 pounds of muscle during the break. Is this too much/little to gain in the time period of a month?

It is important that I'm not trying to simply gain muscle, but to improve my overall soccer fitness (I will be working on both upper and lower body). I know all the exercises and dieting methods, so please don't post a list of those.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

Icy
Veteran Member

It'd possible to gain 10-15 pounds, but the chances of it being just muscle are quite low.

If you "know all the exercises and dieting methods" then why don't you just give it a try anyways? Everyone is different, and what happens for some might not work for you.

Also if you're currenting under eating in terms of what you need for vitamins\minerals\etc than you could pack on a decent amount of muscle in the month.

Lastly, why are you so interested in terms of hypertrophied muscle? Do you get pushed off the ball easy and want a bit of extra weight to hold your ground? Or are you simply looking for an increase in stength? Training for strength will increase size, but not as quickly as say a bodybuilder type scheme.
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Do you get pushed off the ball easy and want a bit of extra weight to hold your ground?
Yes

If you "know all the exercises and dieting methods" then why don't you just give it a try anyways?
I am, and I've already started training yesterday. Thought I'd get some advice from "more experienced" people, maybe like you.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

how long is your winter break? because mine is like 2.5 weeks....and imo it would be almost impossible to gain 15 pounds of pure muscle
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

the time period of a month?
Hurraa for college :D

Icy
Veteran Member

Well, in a months time 10-15 pounds of muscle will pretty much be impossible. Now depending on how much training you've had before along with how your diet looks it could be possible to gain a "good" amount of muscle in the month.

Before I elaborate further is there any reason you're not going to do this over a peroid of 3\4 months? I know you mentioned you're trying to do it during your break from school, but is there any other reason?

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

My main question was: Would attempting to gain 10-15 pounds in a month be feasible? Thanks for the response. Now that I know gaining that much weight in muscle isn't likely, that helps.

The only reason I put the time frame of a month was because that is how long my break is, which also corresponds to the amount of free time I have. Once school starts, I won't have much time for activities outside of school work.

No. There is not a reason other than those I mentioned before.

Icy
Veteran Member

Ahh, ok, I was reading it as 10-15 pounds of muscle not just 10-15 pounds. Well, to be honest at your height\weight if you eat a lot and you're kicking your ass in the gym I'm sure you can do it.

Putting on this type of weight in such a short time WILL mostly be fat though and could hurt your performance more than help it in soccer. Although really the different in performance could be quite minimal compared to the benefits it could bring in terms of holding your ground.

An interesting thing to do is find out different bench marks for your current fitness. Such as a 3 mile run, some type of acceleration drill (40m sprint?), and perhaps a few other things. Then at the end of it once you've gain the weight you want to report back what your new times for those tests are. I know, I for one would be interested in seeing it!

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

:D it was 10-15 pounds of muscle:
(First post)
-My goal is 10-15 pounds of muscle during the break. Is this too much/little to gain in the time period of a month?
I appreciate your advice Icy. You're the one that wants to major in medicine right..or is that someone else?
Anyway, why would most of the weight be fat if I'm constantly exercising?

klc123
Veteran Member

Fat to a point actually has a positive impact on performance. Could you imagine a malnutritioned person from a third world country running on a football pitch?

Your heart is a very special type of muscle called a myogenic cardiac muscle. This means that the fuel it runs on, is slightly different to your normal muscles, yes it can use sugars, but its most efficient when using fatty acids such as glyercol.

In terms of the muscle gain, the only way you ill put on that ammount of pounds is if you do pile on loads of fat, and that would have a negative impact on your performance. Instead of setting targets for weight, try and set more qualatitive targets, like how much more toned you look, as that will make you have much more of a positive out look on weight lifting.

You won't put on a stone in less than a month unless you have barely any muscle at all at the moment, and even then it would be difficult. Instead you should try and set weight targets, such as, by in a months time i want to be able to do 10 reps of 60kg, which is more than feasable if you get a proper work out routeen.

If you want advice on weight lifting schedules, please don't be afraid to ask, id love to help, just make sure you don't start doing weights without making sure you have perfect form, or you could ruin your career completely.

feski25
New User

Hello Guys i think that Muscle gain or excess bodyweight can occur as a result of exercise or weight training, in which muscle size is improved through bodyweight training.If enough bodyweight is obtained by way of improved human extra fat remains, one may become overweight or fat, generally defined as having more human extra fat than is properly healthy.Thanks a lot!!