muscle focus areas to get faster

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Juice
Senior Member
Posts: 245
Joined: 19 Jun 2009, 16:39

muscle focus areas to get faster

Post by Juice » 08 Oct 2009, 20:51

What parts of the leggs should i workout the moste to get faster?
tanx in adv :)

MUFC1994
Veteran Member
Posts: 1227
Joined: 30 Jun 2008, 17:30

Post by MUFC1994 » 08 Oct 2009, 21:08

hamstrings, glutes, calves, and quads......
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

nick117
Veteran Member
Posts: 1105
Joined: 27 Aug 2009, 23:14

Post by nick117 » 08 Oct 2009, 22:38

and thighs.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member
Posts: 1227
Joined: 30 Jun 2008, 17:30

Post by MUFC1994 » 09 Oct 2009, 00:41

nick117 wrote:and thighs.
What do you think your quads and hamstrings make up bro????

lol
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

nick117
Veteran Member
Posts: 1105
Joined: 27 Aug 2009, 23:14

Post by nick117 » 09 Oct 2009, 03:19

MUFC1994 wrote:
nick117 wrote:and thighs.
What do you think your quads and hamstrings make up bro????

lol
hamstrings arn't your thigh that's why theres a machine specifically for thighs and one for hamstrings.

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member
Posts: 822
Joined: 15 Apr 2007, 23:37

Post by pickyourheadup » 09 Oct 2009, 03:34

Don't forget about your abdominal muscles. If you ever see a great sprinter, their abs are strong.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

klc123
Veteran Member
Posts: 2820
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 16:26

Post by klc123 » 09 Oct 2009, 16:53

In order of importance to sprinting...
1.Quadriceps
2.Hamstring
3.Calf
4.Tibialis anterior (front of shin muscle)
5.Gluteus
6.Hip flexors

Thats the generalisated version of the muscle areas, obviously some of the muscles named are more than one muscle but i didn't want to get into too much technical language as the point would be lost in translation.

I must stress, technique is very important aspect of sprinting, don't neglect it.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member
Posts: 1227
Joined: 30 Jun 2008, 17:30

Post by MUFC1994 » 09 Oct 2009, 19:35

nick117 wrote:
MUFC1994 wrote:
nick117 wrote:and thighs.
What do you think your quads and hamstrings make up bro????

lol
hamstrings arn't your thigh that's why theres a machine specifically for thighs and one for hamstrings.
no....your thighs are your entire leg area made up of hamstrings and quads.......just like your arms are made up of triceps and biceps....

And KLC I think That ths would be my order

1. Hamstrings
2. Glutes
3. quads
4.calves
5. Thigh and hip flexors
6. Tibialis anterior
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

klc123
Veteran Member
Posts: 2820
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 16:26

Post by klc123 » 09 Oct 2009, 20:26

It might be your order but it isn't the right one. Sorry but im getting fed up with you constantly contradicting me, im fine with the fact that you put up what you think is the most important muscles in sprinting, but the way you went out of your way to say "klc, this is my order" really highlights your immaturity. I don't think we've gotten to the best of starts and i can't understand why because im always friendly with people on these forums unless they provoke or insult me...can we just drop it and get along like adults please?

Now to the science of it so you can understand.The Quadriceps are more important in sprinting for the simple reason that they actually are in use for more time during the sprint cycle than the hamstrings. When you are sprinting, you don't claw away with your feet, you should be driving your leg and propelling yourself forward by straightening your leg. This is controlled by the Quadricep. Granted the hamstring is also unbelieveably important because it drives the whole of your leg back, its just the quadriceps are more important because they drive the whole leg forward and straighten the knee.

The Glutes are an overated muscle in sprinting to be honest. They do alot less than the other muscles, but just because it does less work does not mean it should be neglected, it must be trained and kept inshape because in sprinting you want ever little advantage you can get to make you that half a second faster.

The reason the calves and tibialis anterior are important is because they control the dorsiflexion and extension of the ankle. Believe it or not but this makes a huge difference on your sprinting time, because if you are using proper technique, you should be sprinting off the floor using your ankle as a propeller to increase your speed. Look up my guide on dorisflexion on these forums to understand it fully.

Finally, id like to point out there isn't a muscle called the thigh flexors, just the hip flexors and knee extendors. The hip flexors are at the bottom of the list because the reality is, they do barely anything if you are using proper sprinting technique. The purpose of the hip flexor is to raise your leg to the side or bring it inwards, this muscle should not be in use during sprinting as your leg should be moving forwards and backwards.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member
Posts: 1227
Joined: 30 Jun 2008, 17:30

Post by MUFC1994 » 09 Oct 2009, 21:16

klc123 wrote:It might be your order but it isn't the right one. Sorry but im getting fed up with you constantly contradicting me, im fine with the fact that you put up what you think is the most important muscles in sprinting, but the way you went out of your way to say "klc, this is my order" really highlights your immaturity. I don't think we've gotten to the best of starts and i can't understand why because im always friendly with people on these forums unless they provoke or insult me...can we just drop it and get along like adults please?

Now to the science of it so you can understand.The Quadriceps are more important in sprinting for the simple reason that they actually are in use for more time during the sprint cycle than the hamstrings. When you are sprinting, you don't claw away with your feet, you should be driving your leg and propelling yourself forward by straightening your leg. This is controlled by the Quadricep. Granted the hamstring is also unbelieveably important because it drives the whole of your leg back, its just the quadriceps are more important because they drive the whole leg forward and straighten the knee.

The Glutes are an overated muscle in sprinting to be honest. They do alot less than the other muscles, but just because it does less work does not mean it should be neglected, it must be trained and kept inshape because in sprinting you want ever little advantage you can get to make you that half a second faster.

The reason the calves and tibialis anterior are important is because they control the dorsiflexion and extension of the ankle. Believe it or not but this makes a huge difference on your sprinting time, because if you are using proper technique, you should be sprinting off the floor using your ankle as a propeller to increase your speed. Look up my guide on dorisflexion on these forums to understand it fully.

Finally, id like to point out there isn't a muscle called the thigh flexors, just the hip flexors and knee extendors. The hip flexors are at the bottom of the list because the reality is, they do barely anything if you are using proper sprinting technique. The purpose of the hip flexor is to raise your leg to the side or bring it inwards, this muscle should not be in use during sprinting as your leg should be moving forwards and backwards.
The thigh flexors and hip flexors are the same thing.....

and i'm not immature, this is a forum, we are allowed to share our opinions, I'm not contradciting you all the time so just calm down. I'm not trying to provoke or insult you, just sharing my 2 cents.....I'm sorry if I have offended you.

Also, KLC, I'm not sure which are the most important muscles for sprinting, if you look around you get a lot of different responses. My advice to Juice, is just to strengthen all the muscles used in sprinting, lats, traps, quads, hamstrings, glutes, calves, shoulders, core etc.
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess
Posts: 2068
Joined: 30 Jun 2006, 22:00
Location: USA

Post by Soccer4Life » 10 Oct 2009, 18:35

nick117 wrote:
MUFC1994 wrote:
nick117 wrote:and thighs.
What do you think your quads and hamstrings make up bro????

lol
hamstrings arn't your thigh that's why theres a machine specifically for thighs and one for hamstrings.
Machines are overrated. Use free weights if you actually want to be strong. Strength is not just how much you can lift. There are important things like stabilizer muscles that you can't benefit while using machines.

Wanderer
Veteran Member
Posts: 1084
Joined: 22 Mar 2007, 01:42

Post by Wanderer » 10 Oct 2009, 18:38

Soccer4Life wrote:
nick117 wrote:
MUFC1994 wrote: What do you think your quads and hamstrings make up bro????

lol
hamstrings arn't your thigh that's why theres a machine specifically for thighs and one for hamstrings.
Machines are overrated. Use free weights if you actually want to be strong. Strength is not just how much you can lift. There are important things like stabilizer muscles that you can't benefit while using machines.
erm, how do you weight train legs with free weights tho?

klc123
Veteran Member
Posts: 2820
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 16:26

Post by klc123 » 10 Oct 2009, 18:51

Squats, Leg extensions and leg curls. Hes right to a certain extent about machines been not as good as free weights, but with your legs you don't have to worry so much. I have a thing at home i can put weights on the bottom, then sit on the bench and raise it with my leg for extentions and then lay on my front on the bench and do leg curls. Works perfect. Then do squads afterwards just to make sure ive worked out properly.

Rulezzz
Veteran Member
Posts: 1754
Joined: 22 Dec 2006, 13:36
Location: Surrey, England , UK

Post by Rulezzz » 10 Oct 2009, 19:02

weighted lunges, squats, calf raises and leg raises a far more effective than machines and whoever said hamstrings are most important, i couldnt agree with less, quads are the biggest part of your leg and therefore will benefit you most in terms of speed.
Image
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.

klc123
Veteran Member
Posts: 2820
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 16:26

Post by klc123 » 10 Oct 2009, 19:05

^^^ someone knows what their talking about ;)

Been serious thoughh ive looked it up and my order of importance is the correct one if you use proper technique.

What are calf raises by the way? leg extensions?

I find doing Squats with a bar across my shoulders, doing leg extensions and leg curls with weights more than effective and build your leg muscles and speed lots.

Post Reply