Weight training now?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
NEVERGIVINGUP

Weight training now?

Post by NEVERGIVINGUP » 25 Sep 2009, 21:25

hi i just turned 16, 6 month ago and i want to start weights. although i am still looking to grow and do not want to stunt my growth.

am i damaging my growth by doin weights cos ppl say u shud wait till u completely finish puberty.. can u do it when ur goin through puberty?

im 5"8 (still want to grow) while im doin weights

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 25 Sep 2009, 21:54

DP
Last edited by klc123 on 25 Sep 2009, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 25 Sep 2009, 21:55

Yes you can, im in the same boat as you being 16, im 6 foot tall, ill tell you what i do.

Basicly, in weight lifting we have a term called "training till failure" which basicly means you keep doing sets untill you cannot finish a rep which means you've completely worked out that muscle for the day. At our age, you SHOULDN'T do that. You can seriously overwork your muscles and put stress on your bones which could stunt your growth if you do that.

Just start of doing lighter weights and you will be fine. Typically, a adult man would increase his weight every week by 3ish kg. If i was you i would only increase your weight every week by 1.5-2 kg every week. This will mean your muscle development is not as fast as it could be, but it also means your not putting too much stress on your bones and growth.

Id like to enthasize proper technique in weight lifting. Seriously, if you do one movement wrong in weight lifting and keep making the same mistake with no one to tell you your doing it wrong, then you could end up with back problems later on in life or other injuries. Im not an expert, but there are thousands of topics on the internet about proper technique and how to make your own work out routeen, have a look around and see what you find.

Woot, 400th post.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

Post by MUFC1994 » 26 Sep 2009, 00:00

You can lift weights no problem...its just an urban myth that weight lifting stunts growth....start light and have someone show you the proper technique....if your benching or squating.....have a spotter an use common sense. Once you perfect the technique start increasing the weight gradually.
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

NEVERGIVINGUP

Post by NEVERGIVINGUP » 26 Sep 2009, 06:15

cos i know some small people that started lifting weights at a young age, i dont want to be small :(

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 26 Sep 2009, 07:05

coincidence. lifting really won't do that if you do it properly. Best advice find a trainer.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 26 Sep 2009, 12:10

nick117 wrote:coincidence. lifting really won't do that if you do it properly. Best advice find a trainer.
That's right. There's not really much proven, scientific evidence that lifting weights early can stunt your growth. Plenty of other things, like smoking, do that. :P

I think it was S4L that dispelled that myth. Her father lifted at a very young age, and is 6"0+.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 26 Sep 2009, 12:31

Proper technique is a must, you don't want to damage your spine or any other areas of your body.

And no its not scientifically proven that lifting too much weight can stunt your growth, it is not scientifically proven that it doesn't either so you can be on the safe side if you wish to be by only lifting lighter weights and not going straight up to 80kg+

Good luck. I would reccommend getting a good bench aswel. I recently bought a new good one, its brilliant, it has a thing for doing your leg extensions and leg curls, and it also has arm fly at the sides which do all of your arms and chest. so as well as bench presses, army presses and dumb bells, i can do all that, im gonna be pumped ;) :L

NEVERGIVINGUP

Post by NEVERGIVINGUP » 26 Sep 2009, 12:39

but pushups/pullups/squatss/calf raises

wont do anything, cos its like im lifting weights but my own body weight witch still makes it weight lifting?

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 26 Sep 2009, 12:48

Your not going to damage your body as long as you use proper technique and don't abuse your body by using drugs.

The only one i wouldn't do is situps because they are known to damage your back, instead do crunches and reverse crunches.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

Post by MUFC1994 » 26 Sep 2009, 19:54

klc123 wrote:Proper technique is a must, you don't want to damage your spine or any other areas of your body.

And no its not scientifically proven that lifting too much weight can stunt your growth, it is not scientifically proven that it doesn't either so you can be on the safe side if you wish to be by only lifting lighter weights and not going straight up to 80kg+

Good luck. I would reccommend getting a good bench aswel. I recently bought a new good one, its brilliant, it has a thing for doing your leg extensions and leg curls, and it also has arm fly at the sides which do all of your arms and chest. so as well as bench presses, army presses and dumb bells, i can do all that, im gonna be pumped ;) :L
It actually has been scientifically proven....the American Academy of Pediatrics released a statement saying that weight training doesn't stunt linear growth....

And KLC I wouldn't bother with leg extensions or leg curls...... heres an interesting article on why leg extensions and leg curls aren't efficient...
Old school methods train the hamstrings vastly differently than they are actually used in real life. Remember the time of leg curls? I do. In fact, we are probably still in this time. Although to some degree erroneous, I think many athlete still do this exercise. Is it bad? No. But is it optimal? No again. The hamstrings in sport are not used the same way the hamstring curl machine trains. Remember, the greatest carry over in training comes from mimicking real life movement as much as feasible.

Hamstrings-A short overview

The hamstring crosses two joints-the hip and knee joint. It plays a crucial role in many soccer activities such as walking running, jumping, and controlling the movement in the trunk. With two joints which one plays the primary role in movement? The hip or Knee. You might be thinking the knee because when running you see the foot come up to the butt after push off. But this is incorrect. The primary power and resistance comes from the hamstring at the hip joint. When sprinting to you feel yourself being pulled across the ground like a hamstring curl? I don’t think so. If that is not how the hamstrings are used shouldn’t we train them like real life-The hamstring through the hip joint.

If not hamstring curl, what?

First, there are probably many reading this article, either trainers (I hope not), coaches (I can understand), Parents or athletes who prescribe hamstring curls. It is completely understandable. Their parents and coaches did it so now they are passing this down. Have you heard the story of the lady that cooked ham with the ends cut off? She was asked why she did it. She said because her mom did it. Well, her mom was asked and replied, because my mom did it. Generations of this family kept saying I cook the ham with ends cut off because that is what my mother did. None of them new the reason. They just did it because the person before them did. In the end, the reason the original person cut the ends off was because the ham couldn’t fit into the oven. Even though modern ovens fit the ham just fine generations continued to cut the ham off. This story illustrates that sometimes we do things not knowing why we do them, even though it is not always optimal.

Is it bad to do leg curls? No. But to get the most bang for the buck you should mimic real life as much as feasible. So what exercise mimics real life? Dead lifts.
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

Clumsylegs
Veteran Member

Post by Clumsylegs » 26 Sep 2009, 21:24

klc123 wrote: The only one i wouldn't do is situps because they are known to damage your back, instead do crunches and reverse crunches.
Do you have a source for this? I don't want to offend you, but this sounds like a urban myth to me.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 27 Sep 2009, 20:06

Im by no means offended. Its just my coach at the gym said that situps damage your lower back and it is possible to wreck your disks. He also said it doesn't actually work out your abs properly, it works out a muscle lower down in your stomach so it isn't really worth it.

As for leg extensions and leg curls, i do them and it works fine for me. Im the fastest player in my football team by a long shot and it does my legs the world of good. I also do squats though so i work them out properly. Maybe its true that theyre not very efficient, but they work good for me.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

Post by MUFC1994 » 27 Sep 2009, 20:21

klc123 wrote:Im by no means offended. Its just my coach at the gym said that situps damage your lower back and it is possible to wreck your disks. He also said it doesn't actually work out your abs properly, it works out a muscle lower down in your stomach so it isn't really worth it.

As for leg extensions and leg curls, i do them and it works fine for me. Im the fastest player in my football team by a long shot and it does my legs the world of good. I also do squats though so i work them out properly. Maybe its true that theyre not very efficient, but they work good for me.
Whatever works for you....but I'd try doing some jump squats, lunges, and deadlifts..... great exercises that work the glutes hamstrings, core, quads, and calves....

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 27 Sep 2009, 20:23

I have a good work out routeen. I do atleast 2 exercises for each muscle so they definitely get worked out properly and im doing fine, no injuries or pain, so im happy continuing as i am.