light on your feet

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Jboogey

I had no real clue where to put this, i figured here might be my best bet

Is there any real way to get light on your feet other than you being naturally like this?
"Skill is in the foot not whats on it" - New Born Prodigy

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Do you mean quick footed?

You build up quick feet by doing agility drills, namely ladder drills (=<3), dribbling with fast feet, quick touches, and cone drills (or anything involving quick cuts and jerks and starts and stops).

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

You normally aren't born with quick feet. The ability is gained through a process and drills..just like Kakasgotskillz said.

Here are a few pages I found concerning agility and quick feet:
One drill that develops Strength,Speed, Agility, and Fitness
MUFC 21's drills for improving fitness, agility and speed
Quick Touch Program

I found an improvement in my agility by doing these drills:
1.My Stair Guide post
2.Ball touches: touch the top of the ball with front bottom part of your feet as many times as you can in 1 min. Begin with the ball being stationary. Once you are able to get the hang of it, begin to pull the ball towards your with each touch..you move back with the ball. You should pull it to the sides and move it forwards.
3.Ball hops: hop over the ball from side to side then transition into front to back.
**Quick tip: Instead of going up stairs at school or an office building by skipping everyother step or walking up, try going up each step one by one. Do this with bringing your knees nearly up to your waist. You legs should be moving fairly quickly. If you make a habit of this, your "quick feet" will improve a little bit everyday.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

klc123
Veteran Member

Been on the ball of your feet can help tremendously. Look at on your signature, ronaldo is always on the balls of his feet and it helps tremendously in his dribbling skills and foot speed/lightness.

There isn't really anything else to say to be honest, the above posters covered everything perfectly.

Jboogey

Thanks all...very informative replies.

Special thanks to pickyourheadup...from what I see your helpful and informative, you've helped me before so thanks again for that too.

Klc or mr. dribble thanks to you as well your also helpful and informative(you,pickyourheadup and NBP are my favorite posters)

last but not least thanks kakasgotskillz for your informative and first reply
"Skill is in the foot not whats on it" - New Born Prodigy

klc123
Veteran Member

No problem, nice to know i can help and you find my posts somewhat useful lool.

If your really serious about trying to make your feet lighter there is a few things you can do...

1.run up and down the pitch side ways in a jumping/galloping motion on the balls of your feet, the balls of your feet is the bit near your toes if you didn't know.

2.As said before, get a football and stand on the tips of your toes and put one foot on top of the ball, then the other and keep repeating at very high speed.

3.Stand at the bottom of a step, again on your toes/balls of foot put your dominant foot up onto the step, then your weaker foot so your standing on to off the step, then your dominant foot goes down, and then your weaker foot goes down so you are at the starting position, repeat.

4.A very good one ive seen and used is if you have 3 people you are training with, have 2 stand with a ball, on in front and one behind you both facing you. Then one of them passes the ball, you give him a one touch pass back, immediately turn and the other person then will pass to you and you give him a one touch pass back, this is great work to do in a football training session with your team and you just rotate who is in the middle doing the workout. My team added in a way in which you have a ladder on the floor so you have you bring you foot up in the air to get over the ladders and step into them before making a pass but thats not entirely needed.

Thats all i can think of right now, ill come back to you if i think of anything else, feel free to ask any questions.

klc

human

my coach here said that u need to have quick feet to beat defenders when ure standing he asks me to use tricks to get past defenders but i im currently try to perfect messi/maradona styled gambeta and as far as i know they dont use elasticos,stepovers hocus pocus etc. Anyone on this

klc123
Veteran Member

There isn't one single style of dribbling that is correct. Its important to use what you feel expresses yourself the most and is most suited and comfortable for your style of play. Instead of focusing on learning one players style, look at lots and lots of players styles and create your own style with influences from multiple dribblers.