2 miles in 12 minutes

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
FCBarca364
Sophomore Member

I can barely run 1 mile in 8...Can someone provide a 1-2 month workout to be able to run 2 miles in 12 minutes? Thanks

INTER1908
Veteran Member

I think you should worry more about running sprints fast. I have never had to jog for 12 minutes straight in football.
Made by 2Brown.

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member

FCBarca364 wrote:I can barely run 1 mile in 8...Can someone provide a 1-2 month workout to be able to run 2 miles in 12 minutes? Thanks
okay ,i think you should do a cross country workout regime
you can first start by running for 30 seconds,stop and increase your speed,never run full bore,only start off slow and then speed up and keep your strides long,also proper running form,kinda hard to explain hope that helps,im too lazy write more.
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again

bulldogx5
Sophomore Member

FCBarca364 wrote:I can barely run 1 mile in 8...Can someone provide a 1-2 month workout to be able to run 2 miles in 12 minutes? Thanks
you have to run the cooper for college preseason i assume? if that's the case it's not as bad as you think. my college coach just does it to do it, he says he doesn't use it as something to look at to cut someone, unless they can't even complete the run. but pretty much the big thing is that you need to get out and run every day, taking one day off for every 6 in a row you run. try to alternate how far you run, with maybe a couple long runs and then a shorter run at a faster pace and things like that. once you finish your run do some sprints, anywhere from 50 to 120 yds will be good, of course the distance should correspond with your distance run, such as for longer runs do some 50 yd sprints after and for shorter one some 120s. do that every day and you'll see a vast improvement in your fitness, and fairly quickly as well. don't dog it though, otherwise you won't get anywhere. if you want results you gotta put in the effort

John_Bob
Veteran Member

Here is a week of workouts. You will want to overtime increase the difficulty of each exercise.

Monday- tempo run, total of 30 minutes: 5 minutes tempo (above a jog but less than a sprint) 2 minutes 30 second rest. repeat 4 times.

Tuesday- 30-60 minute run, this is to recover go at a pace that is just out of your comfort range. you may find it hard to go 30 minutes at first but you will eventually be able to do 60 minutes easily. finish with 6-10 100 meter sprints.

Wednesday- hills: 12-20 reps on a 100-200 meter hill

Thursday- 30-60 minute run. finish with 6-10 100 meter sprints

Friday- timed run: run for 20 minutes at a hard pace. finish with 6x 100 meter sprints

Saturday- 30-60 minute run. finish with 6-10 100 meter sprints

Sunday- nothing

This will most likely be extremely difficult but if you really want to be able to do 2 miles in 12 minutes you must commit everything you have during your workouts. Giving a half effort will get you nothing. Hopefully this will help you reach your goal. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

FCBarca364
Sophomore Member

Thank you all for your answers. No this isnt for college preseason because im only a sophomore in high school but we run a lot so I want to be in shape.

To John Bob, is a treadmill good to use for these kind of workouts?

And also should i do this everyweek for the course of the summer?

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

don't use a treadmill because a treadmill propels you foward, so you don't work as hard, also a treadmill is indoors, so it doesn't simulate conditions outside. If you can't go outside for whatever reason, a treadmill is a good alternative, but it still isn't as good as the real thing.
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

John_Bob
Veteran Member

I wouldn't recommend a treadmill just because they are hellishly boring to run on. I don't know about the place you live so this may not be possible but I would recommend running on dirt trails, they are soft enough to cushion the impact of running preventing injury and are much more exciting to run on. If there are no trails where you live I would run on the road or lastly on a track (also very boring). I wouldn't say treadmills make you work any less hard but the workout plan I gave was designed to be done outside, it's summer enjoy the nice weather.

I would recommend doing this every week of the summer and progressively going faster for longer periods of time. Also if you do get completely worn out it is okay to take a day off every once in a while as long as you make sure to go 100% on the days you are running. Good luck getting in shape and hopefully your sophomore season will a good one.

FCBarca364
Sophomore Member

Thank you all for posting! Ill let you know how it goes.

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member

JB that's awesome advice,but for starters i tried this and it worked for me,my mile time is 5:34
Start: Walk. Next: Walk/jog. Next: Jog consistently. Finally, jog with BRIEF fast intervals. Fast running is something that takes a while to build up to and should not be rushed,and ALWAYS stretch."RUNNERS stretches are best,lunges,squats,etc. i go for a 30 minute warm up since I'm a ballerina,its good to get your joints all geared up, :D

and treadmills are sh*t,its only good for bad weather conditions and getting back into shape,but even then! you should always run at a medium pace with a incline of 2 and then move on up, since its on a smooth surface,not the same surface as opposed to like running on a beach,or forest,or even concrete last but not least you should get that fit test,where the beeper goes off,i forget what its called though i think ill try to upload it one day if i have the chance,but it was also on boootcamp..hmmmn,and listen to JB haha.
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again

FCBarca364
Sophomore Member

Thanks Bee.

Btw that test is called the Beep Test..its all over the forums and here is the website where I got the test I use
http://www.defence.gov.au/army/hq8bde/jobs/fitness.htm

And the only place I have to run is my backyard which is exactly 20 yards, what can I do in that amount of space?

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member

FCBarca364 wrote:Thanks Bee.

Btw that test is called the Beep Test..its all over the forums and here is the website where I got the test I use
http://www.defence.gov.au/army/hq8bde/jobs/fitness.htm

And the only place I have to run is my backyard which is exactly 20 yards, what can I do in that amount of space?
its better if you go to a park and download this to your portable musical device,(i use the ipod + run+ Nike) thingy,works wonders but don't get the shoe they just want to make as much money as possible,nike shoes are awful for long distance,brooks are the best.) anyway you might want to go to a park or an open place with lotsa room and like measure the distance you are running,get markers pylons,balls anything,and then just run back and fourth,on your first try,record it somewhere and continue until you get the highest! it is possible,but everything takes handwork,perseverance,and discipline.

BuzzingBee's at it again

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

FCBarca i agree with bulldog but during the tryouts your adrenaline gets pumping and you do a lot better than what you think. My freshman year i ran about a 15 minute two mile and during the cooper test i got 7 laps 1 3/4 miles in the twelve minutes.

ninjafootballer

I can run 1.988 miles in 12 mins,
Is this good for an eleven yr old?

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

For anyone training for XC or the beep test for soccer do swimming! It really conditions your lungs. I swam in the summer and then ran with my xc team at night for summer training. By the time the XC season came around I was running better than ever. My coach even commented on the improvement. Swimming really helped build up my lungs and made running a lot easier. I also have asthma so on cold days (i'm kinda the opposite, cold days makes me cough up a storm) I used to not be able to run as well but the swimming really helped.

Also for those running XC get some spikes! They provide great traction for your meets especially if the course has hills or its rainy. Plus they just look cool. Mine totally clashed with my uniform but I couldn't resist lime green and sliver spikes.