How important is endurance?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Had2bHarry wrote:
gnarlyjim wrote:I'm not sure because I didn't read every post here but as soon as I saw the word "endurance" I wondered if any of you have done the Shuttle Run or "Beep Test"? It's a good thing for tracking your progress if you're familiar with it, as far as endurance goes at least.
Yeah, I got it on my ipod, although I've only ever done it at school. Its pretty good for giving you something to aim for, in terms of fitness, plus everyone gets impressed if you can get a high score.
Yeah, definitely. I like the whole aspect of trying to set a new record for myself. I'm weird like that. :P You can download it though if you want to try it.

David_93

I wrote this for weeks ago but for some reason I have not been able to post here on the forum. I have talked to people on my school and I am now allowed to shower before school time so I can run to school now 3-4 times in the week.

Thank you Mufc94 and Had2bHarry.

The reason why I would do some walking when halfthrough was beacasue to pretend a break between first and seconds half of a real match. But I could just eliminate it.

In Norway we are in the middle of pre-season. The season starts at April I think.

We have suicides or something similiar at our team pracitce. The team practice is on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays So running on Wednesday, Friday, and Monday would be good I guess. The team practice is 10-11 hours after my running so I'm pretty good rested then, and I would say it is pretty intense trainings. I will stretch good inbetween the resting period.

And Gnarlyjim. We had a kind of shuttle run test yesterday. We should run so many laps we could between two cones 30 meter apart. I am proud to say that I got the best results on my team with 30,5 laps. The second one did 30 laps. I have done a beep-test before also. I love the feeling of doing high score in such tests!! My coach got impressed of me yesterday!

FCBarca364
Sophomore Member

Sorry to revive a dead post but what speeds do you go at when you say high tempo and very high tempo?

Beep Test
http://www.defence.gov.au/army/hq8bde/jobs/fitness.htm

David_93

A high tempo is almost sprinting, but you should hold back a bit. You should have big difficults of talking to another person, and the pulse should be about 85-90% of max.

A very high tempo is supposed to mean that you are sprinting or as hard as you fast as you can. If you have a heart rate clock it would be 90-95% of max.

Both of the speeds are excellent for intervals, the first one for longer intervals and the second for shorter. Hope this helps.

FCBarca364
Sophomore Member

Thanks David but may I ask you what speeds are those on a treadmill because that's what I also have to work with?

Kasaki
Veteran Member

I learned in games where I play as mid, ur endurance is almost 50% positioning , if u can make it easier for ur self by pushing back a bit , although u wont get offsides calsl u can break through balls, and also cut down on running right next to the opposition, and as soon as ur team gets the ball, jog up by the forwards so when ur attack starts ur already up top , so good positioning will allow u to run less, and conserve ur energy tackle smart, and do go sprinting as people, its not always about getting the ball u can just jockey and force them in one position or unto a mistake, and take sensibly shots m I see many players losing energy by taking shots from nasty angles instead of passing, also footwork decreases stamina alot so passing when u gett he chance to is great

David_93

FCBarca364: In my experience the speed levels often differs from treadmill to treadmill, and for a second reason your stamina could be much better then mine, so if you try to run at my speeds it gets too easy. But telling you the speed on my treadmill couldn't hurt. For 4 minutes intervals I use 15-16 km/t speed (high tempo) with half minute rest and 4 sets. I don't know my very high tempo speed as I usually just go out and sprints with breaks inbetween. But I guess that will be around 18 km/t with 20 seconds sprint, 10 seconds rest, and 8 sets. I recommend doing many intervals, because IMO speed is more important then endurance.

Kasaki: A very good input. I think its more like prioritizing and a focus for what you need to do to enhance your teams chances to win. For example C. Ronaldo. In the beginning of his career as a Man Utd player, he did brilliant footwork at the midfield or even defense more often then SAF could wish. But as he got more experience he knew how to keep his energy and use it when he could create a chance or even score. In the 07/08 season he had many, many more goals then ever before as a result of smartness.