How important is endurance?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
David_93

I ask this question because somebody tells me that endurance is not so important and that I should prior speed and technique, but others says that the best players is the fittest players.

I will join a very good team in 6 months. So I want to become so good as possible. (I have a current team now). I consider doing enurance training every morning before school (3 times jumping rope, 3 times treadmill, 1 time swimming) lasting about 20 min, unless on swimming which lasts 1-1,5 hour. Also I have to do the endurance-work at my sessions with my current team.

So I'm asking the experiened player from high level football. Is endurance a vital part of the game? Is it a quality strength to be much fitter then anyone else on the field?

On my treadmill I don't run on same speed for 20 min. I switch between high-speed and rest or low-speed so it is quality work. And I don't do the same program everyday. This is true also for the jumping rope, I jump to I don't manage more, then rest a few seconds and start again. The swimming is more long distance training where I swim in a medium tempo almost all the way.

Thanks in advance.

Nat_H
Veteran Member

A high-level player has to be able to run, jog, and sprint for 80-90 minutes straight. Endurance is very important. Any training routine should include intense sprints with short rests (or slow runs) in between in order to simulate a game situation.

David_93

Thanks, I am doing a routine similar to what you are saying.

But is extraordinary high running capasity something coaches and scouts notice and gets impressed of?

falcomaster94
Sophomore Member

yes, most coaches will be impressed bcuz during endurance tests, you will be the best on the team and you will also have more energy than everyone else at the end of games, which is very useful!!
TRUST ME, work on your endurance.
also, switch from doing on and off sprints to long distance at the same speed, this will help build more endurance.

David_93

Thanks, falcomaster. I have two coaches on my team, and they are really busy about training endurance, so I think I will have a good chance on being one of the favorite players of the coach, when I run out everyone on tests.

My endurance program:
Monday: Treadmill - 4min high tempo x4, 30 sec rest inbetween
Tuesday: Jump rope
Wednesday: Treadmill - 25 min constant moderate tempo running
Thursday: Jump rope
Friday: Treadmill - 1 min very high tempo x10, 1 min slow tempo between reps.
Saturday: Swimming - 1-1,5 hour constant slow tempo swimming
Sunday: Jump rope

I don't know if I'm able to have to commitent to wake up every morning at clock 06.30, but I will try.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Ok to answer your question...

You need to build a huge skill foundation (thats why starting young is so important) then as you reach your teeenage years you need to cut back a bit on skill training to make for more time for tactical (games and coaching) and physical (endurance, speed and strenght) training

I'm guessing your roughly 17
Well application of endurance training is very important, because generally every player at that age has a good skill foundation... So the best way to stand out and compete to be a top player is compete with them on a tactical and physical level (run harder and smarter)

Coaches tend to understand that at a basic level all players at this age have a ceartain skill threshold and the ones that stand out are the ones with this skill mixed with either an incredible volume of speed or stamina

You should stick to the routine you have now, but replace as many of those treadmill sessions with some sort of outdoor running and fire in 1-2 rest days there somewhere

David_93

Thank you. You are far too kind for helpimg me out so much!

In my opinion I have a very good skill level taking my other teammates n consideration. I believe I am in top 3 best players at my team. Though, my skills can always be better so I set of 1-2 hours everyday of skill practice. I am 16 in 3 months or so.

But you said that outside running is better then tredmill, is it a good reason for that? I have one treadmill in my basement, and now it is snow all over the place outside, so I am forced to run on the treadmill now. I prefer running on a treadmill, because I don't like people seeing me working out, and the last time I did run on the streets my knees got hurt. So when I got my treadmill my knees has not hurt when running.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Well as I said when you are able try go outdoor... Its better, but not so significant that you should go out in snow or when your sick or something.
Now from my experience of treadmill running vs outdoor running

There is a slight decrease in energy expenditure when running on a treadmill because of the lack of wind resistance and because the treadmill belt does propel you along a bit. To make your treadmill workout closer to outdoor exercise, simply raise the treadmill incline to 1%

it is fine to do some of your training on the treadmill, but try to do at least 60% of it outdoors. You will be much more prepared for the demands on your muscles and joints, the weather and the varied terrain if you run outdoors. There aren't turns on a treadmill, which is another thing your body needs to adapt to if you plan to run outside.

Your muscles develop better for outdoor because you need more force and joint stability to run on outdoor terrain

The pro's for treadmills are:
-No weather, temperature, or terrain issues
-Can stop anytime you need or want
-Smooth, cushioned surface is easier on the joints

The pro's for outdoor are:
-You can run anywhere
-It's generally more challenging and you expend more energy
-Possibly more motivating (must complete a distance goal)
-Its harder to breath in cold air than warm
-Get you used to soft ground, mud and turning
-You can bring a ball alomg for the jog

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

I usually go running three times a week and this is the schedule

Monday/tuesday: 3-4 miles at a 8 minute pace
Wednesday/thursday: 5-6 miles at a 8-830 minute pace
Friday: 2 miles as fast as possible

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

Endurance is very important to soccer those who are in better shape usually shine towards the end of the game 70-90th minutes. But for scouts, endurance is not the most important thing becuase its easy to improve. Most scouts look for tactical and technical abilities as well as speed and agility. But endurance is very helpful and it makes playing so much easier.
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

David_93

Thank you all.

I can maybe run to school if I am allowed to shower before starting first class at school. It's 5,5 km long road, but I think I can do this: Sprint for 5 seconds, then jog slowly for 30 seconds. Then just reapet until halfthrough I can take a break of walking 2 minutes. That is very spesific for football.

Doing this for 3-4 days a week + swimming. Good?

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

sounds good but i would eliminate the walking....are you currently playing for a club team?? Do you still have games??? If you are like halfway/ 3/4 done with the season i would keep the running down from 1-3 times a week. Also, Suicides are really good for aerobic and anaerobic endurance. Stretching helps your muscles to not fatigue as quickly so strtch a ton. The swimming is really good....Good Luck :D Hope i helped
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

David_93 wrote:Thank you all.

I can maybe run to school if I am allowed to shower before starting first class at school. It's 5,5 km long road, but I think I can do this: Sprint for 5 seconds, then jog slowly for 30 seconds. Then just reapet until halfthrough I can take a break of walking 2 minutes. That is very spesific for football.

Doing this for 3-4 days a week + swimming. Good?
What days do you train, and how intense are they? I'm asking this because, its just as important to rest as well. Getting the right balance of rest and work will enable you to perform at your peak. Generally, if you run on Tuesday and Wednesday, you should take a break on Thursday and not do anything at all, then resume on Friday.

I have to admire you for being flexible with your time. And like MUFC has said, its EXTREMELY important that you stretch and warm up properly, even if your just lying around or watching TV, gently stretch, the benefits of having good muscle suppleness cannot be overstated.
Sig by me

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

I'm not sure because I didn't read every post here but as soon as I saw the word "endurance" I wondered if any of you have done the Shuttle Run or "Beep Test"? It's a good thing for tracking your progress if you're familiar with it, as far as endurance goes at least.

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

gnarlyjim wrote:I'm not sure because I didn't read every post here but as soon as I saw the word "endurance" I wondered if any of you have done the Shuttle Run or "Beep Test"? It's a good thing for tracking your progress if you're familiar with it, as far as endurance goes at least.
Yeah, I got it on my ipod, although I've only ever done it at school. Its pretty good for giving you something to aim for, in terms of fitness, plus everyone gets impressed if you can get a high score.
Sig by me