sugar free soft drinks

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
NEVERGIVINGUP
Senior Member
Posts: 160
Joined: 12 Apr 2008, 11:18

Post

so are they good,??

do they have sugar?

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2117
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post

I love coke zero, its good.

They claim it doesn't have sugar but all diet and zero drinks (zero calories,sugars) all have hidden sugars.

What you really need to watch is the sodium if your a big drinker. It shouldn't be a problem if you drink 1 a day but if it gets excessive eat some pottasium rich foods (bananas,cantaloupe), potassium flushes the sodium out. Thats why people have high blood pressure,they have a high amount of sodium in their diet.

Nat_H
Veteran Member
Posts: 1559
Joined: 11 Jun 2008, 18:03

Post

I think sugarless sodas have those sweeteners, like aspartame. I know its supposed to be bad for you (even worse than real sugar). Some one else should back me up on this though.

NEVERGIVINGUP
Senior Member
Posts: 160
Joined: 12 Apr 2008, 11:18

Post

ugghh i want to start drinking it with my food, i currentlty drink water with food, but i need some flavour lol

barcahooligan
Veteran Member
Posts: 1143
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 14:58

Post

lol.........whats wrong with milk??? i drink it with almost everything.
Image
sig by 2brown347

NEVERGIVINGUP
Senior Member
Posts: 160
Joined: 12 Apr 2008, 11:18

Post

omb I need to know if it's ok to drink

mint
EF Drug Baron
Posts: 2430
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 20:38

Post

yeah milk is fine to drink, it actually helps strengthen the bones, i drink milk all the time but i drink semi skimmed milk, but if your underweight full fat milk or whatever its called will help you put weight on because its got more protein and protein is an essential part of muscle building.
Image
i was made to ignite

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2117
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post

NEVERGIVINGUP wrote:omb I need to know if it's ok to drink
Did you not read my post? I've been drinking sugerless sodas for a while and i'm fine. I like coke zero as it tastes like regular coke but without the calories and sugar. I think I read an article that said drinking more than 1 regluar pop a day will add on weight over the course of a year. Though I have heard that the aspertame will make you irritable and cranky. I know some people who had to stop drinking diet sodas because it gave them really bad stomach issues (cramping and other stuff)

As for milk, there is nothing wrong with it. Personally I can't drink anything but skim milk, anything else is just nasty, if I drink 2% or whole milk (ew) I can taste the fat.

I've read articles where chocolate milk does the same job in muscle recovery as those protein drinks and its cheaper.

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess
Posts: 2068
Joined: 30 Jun 2006, 22:00
Location: USA

Post

It's generally accepted in the fitness and nutrition industry that if you are going to 'cheat' on your diet that you should go for 'real' soda versus diet or low/zero calorie versions. You can burn off excess calories and deal with sugar because at least it's natural but when you are drinking any diet soda you are guarenteed to have more artificial additives in the drink and who knows how your body will react to that.
Nat_H wrote:I think sugarless sodas have those sweeteners, like aspartame. I know its supposed to be bad for you (even worse than real sugar). Some one else should back me up on this though.
I'll back you up - it's true that diet drinks are worse than regular sodas.
arsenalfc08 wrote:Did you not read my post? I've been drinking sugerless sodas for a while and i'm fine. I like coke zero as it tastes like regular coke but without the calories and sugar.
Many people are lied to and manipulated by the weight loss industry into thinking that calories and sugar are 'bad'. They try to avoid whatever is bad that week. Whether that be carbs, fat, sugar, too much protein, sodium... you get the point. It's always better to have the real thing versus something artifical in order to avoid something you see as 'bad'. I mean, we can always take out pretty much whatever we want in order to lower the calories from food or drinks but what people don't realize is that these additives are bad for you and can trigger processes in your body for you to gain weight too! Instead of just having a 150 calorie soda you may be affecting your body like 300 calories would.

arsenalfc08 wrote:I think I read an article that said drinking more than 1 regluar pop a day will add on weight over the course of a year.
Diet soda has the same effect. I had a mutual friend a while back that had lost 20 pounds and was trying to lose the last 10. She had hit a plateau and was losing no weight. I quickly identified the problem - diet soda, which I instructed her to replace with water and that she could only have 1 every saturday - and it had to be real, not diet. That month, she lost 11.5 pounds.
arsenalfc08 wrote:They claim it doesn't have sugar but all diet and zero drinks (zero calories,sugars) all have hidden sugars.
No arguing about that.
arsenalfc08 wrote:What you really need to watch is the sodium if your a big drinker. It shouldn't be a problem if you drink 1 a day but if it gets excessive eat some pottasium rich foods (bananas,cantaloupe), potassium flushes the sodium out. Thats why people have high blood pressure,they have a high amount of sodium in their diet.
Sure, excess sodium isn't good. But America isn't fat because of excess sodium from soft drinks. We're fat from fried foods, white flour, and artificial foods. There's normally more sodium in artificial things to flavor it more and mask whats fake. With a diet of natural, homemade foods, even 2 sodas a day probably won't put you over on sodium. (Not that I would recommend that).

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2117
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post

arsenalfc08 wrote:I think I read an article that said drinking more than 1 regluar pop a day will add on weight over the course of a year.
Diet soda has the same effect. I had a mutual friend a while back that had lost 20 pounds and was trying to lose the last 10. She had hit a plateau and was losing no weight. I quickly identified the problem - diet soda, which I instructed her to replace with water and that she could only have 1 every saturday - and it had to be real, not diet. That month, she lost 11.5 pounds.

That's very true. I stopped drinking diet soda for a week and lost 5 pounds. I'm currently working on cutting it out, going to water and iced/hot tea. I'm cutting out sweets too, now instead of ice cream or candy, it is a glass of chocolate milk or chewing some gum. So far so good.

Plus the soda is costing me too much on my grocery bill LOL. It's expensive.

S4L have you tried ground turkey? It's amazing I use it in place of ground beef. I make turkey taco salads,turkey burgers,etc. It's great,a little pricy but worth it imo. The kind I get, only has 1 gram of fat compared to maybe 10g or more if you were using ground beef.

JG
New User
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Sep 2008, 00:06

Post

Yuk! I hate Soft drink, it's overpoweringly sweet! These sugar free drink's are especially bad because instead of adding sugars manufacterers place additives and stuff in them instead. Although prettymuch I've just echoed what people have already posted a lot of the additives in soft drinks can be a danger to certain people.
A good example would be Diet coke and a substance inside it called phenylalanine, which I think is a substitute for sugar to sweeten it. About 1 in 15000 people can't metabolize phenylalanine, A kid at my school found this out the hard way.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2117
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post

JG wrote:Yuk! I hate Soft drink, it's overpoweringly sweet! These sugar free drink's are especially bad because instead of adding sugars manufacterers place additives and stuff in them instead. Although prettymuch I've just echoed what people have already posted a lot of the additives in soft drinks can be a danger to certain people.
A good example would be Diet coke and a substance inside it called phenylalanine, which I think is a substitute for sugar to sweeten it. About 1 in 15000 people can't metabolize phenylalanine, A kid at my school found this out the hard way.
The kid should stay away from meat,eggs,milk,and bananas. Phenylalanine is naturally found in those foods.

Phenylalanine is found naturally in foods such as eggs, milk, bananas, and meat. If you are PKU (Phenylketonuric) or sensitive to phenylalanine, you will react to the phenylalanine in aspartame.http://www.sweetpoison.com/phenylalanine.html

I drank my last diet soda today. Going to only water and tea. While I drank diet soda's I never got into the "splenda" craze. Everyone is so worried about sugars and weight gain but if you use it sparingly it shouldn't be so bad. Just don't overload your tea or coffee with regular sugar and you'll be fine. Personally I can drink my tea without any sugar but if I do put some in, it is the real thing. I'll only put about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon.

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess
Posts: 2068
Joined: 30 Jun 2006, 22:00
Location: USA

Post

Honey is a good natural sweetener, too. I don't really drink tea, so I wouldn't know how that would taste but I've heard of a couple people who do that.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2117
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post

Soccer4Life wrote:Honey is a good natural sweetener, too. I don't really drink tea, so I wouldn't know how that would taste but I've heard of a couple people who do that.
I've never used honey in tea. I have used it in baking in place of sugar and the recipe turned out fine.

Also at the grocery store today I compared regular coke to coke zero, what a huge difference! Regular coke had about 4 ingredients and coke zero had about 10!

I read an article today where Coke is releasing new juice drinks with stevia. It's another sweetner (zero calorie) but FDA hasn't approved it yet. Not that it means a lot, the FDA approves pretty much everything good or bad.

NEVERGIVINGUP
Senior Member
Posts: 160
Joined: 12 Apr 2008, 11:18

Post

wat about those powerades with no sugar

Post Reply