sports supplements?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
dinho
Sophomore Member

hi guys, i need advise on whether to take supplements or not. just to get all the vitamins and minerals i need. would it enhance my performance? other supplements include amino acids etc, there is soo many.

also would it be a good idea to take creatine to add strength and more muscle? this is perfectly legal isn't it to compete with? do professional footballers use muscle supplements?
i just want to be the best i can be when competing.

fr33k1ck
Veteran Member

Creatine is perfectly legal and it is ok to take for at least a 15 year old. But in order to make creatine work you have to workout. Creatine gives you more strength which in turn lets you lift heavier. Heavier weights mean better muscle gains. If I was you I would just take a centrum multivitamin and a whey protein shake. Protein shakes are good for teenagers. Start off with a 100% ON whey protein shake, and if you stick to your workout for about 4 months, you can try creatine. How old are you anyway?

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

I got this powder that you put in drinks and it is Whey. Is that Legal??

dinho
Sophomore Member

im 18 and a half now. and the problem is i dont feel like 18, i feel more like 16. im about 5 ft 5/6 and weigh 8 stone and a bit. this has come to mind because i want to compete against the big boys with more muscle mass that are my age and older.
however would taking protein shakes and creatine make me bulky? becoming bulky is the last thing i want to look like and which may affect my leg speed. i want a physique like fernando torres or nani? :)

fr33k1ck
Veteran Member

MSILancer7 wrote:I got this powder that you put in drinks and it is Whey. Is that Legal??
Yea whey protein is perfectly legal and safe to use.

To dinho: It seems like you have the type of body type that is called the ectomorph, meaning that you will never be "Bulky". So really just eat 6 small meals a day. You should be eating fish, eggs, nuts, chicken, beef, rice, and pasta. Also you should drink a lot of milk. My advice would be to select a workout program and stick with it. Drink your protein shake in the morning when you get up, and then again right after you workout. Don't worry about getting bulky, just worry about gaining muscle. Remember you have to work out. Tell me if ya need a workout program.

dinho
Sophomore Member

fr33k1ck wrote:
MSILancer7 wrote:I got this powder that you put in drinks and it is Whey. Is that Legal??
Yea whey protein is perfectly legal and safe to use.

To dinho: It seems like you have the type of body type that is called the ectomorph, meaning that you will never be "Bulky". So really just eat 6 small meals a day. You should be eating fish, eggs, nuts, chicken, beef, rice, and pasta. Also you should drink a lot of milk. My advice would be to select a workout program and stick with it. Drink your protein shake in the morning when you get up, and then again right after you workout. Don't worry about getting bulky, just worry about gaining muscle. Remember you have to work out. Tell me if ya need a workout program.
thanks for the reply. yes i do need a workout program, but not just any workout program, i want a real footballers workout program for soccer if possible.
but i dont want a program that'll make me sore the next morning. last time, i did intense barbell squats i needed 5 days to recover!!! i couldnt even move for 5 days!because of the 5 days rest i had to build on my football skills and fitness again.
one other thing, i've just been on websites that sell whey protein and there are soo many different kinds and types of them. which shall i choose?

mint
EF Drug Baron

viewtopic.php?t=13141

this is a little bit of info that i found on a few supplements hope its useful. :P
i was made to ignite

dinho
Sophomore Member

is my best bet to consult a nutritionist rather than taking random supplements because there are so many kinds. whey, micronized creatine, creatine monohydrate, amino acids (BCAA), multivitamins and minerals, glutamine, caffeine, vitamin. B. ??????????????????/ :?: :?: :?: :?:

2brown347
Veteran Member

dinho wrote:is my best bet to consult a nutritionist rather than taking random supplements because there are so many kinds. whey, micronized creatine, creatine monohydrate, amino acids (BCAA), multivitamins and minerals, glutamine, caffeine, vitamin. B. ??????????????????/ :?: :?: :?: :?:
if you could consult a nutritionist that'd probably be the most useful, so if you can then go for it.

mint
EF Drug Baron

yeah go see a nutritionist because theyll be able to help a lot more and they might give u a supplement plan.
i was made to ignite

Nat_H
Veteran Member

It's never a bad idea to talk to your doctor about this. Personally I don't bother with stuff like that, but it would probably be beneficial. I think the best any EF member could do would be to give you advice/suggestions, for medical knowledge, see a doctor or nutritionist. So yeah.

fr33k1ck
Veteran Member

dinho wrote:is my best bet to consult a nutritionist rather than taking random supplements because there are so many kinds. whey, micronized creatine, creatine monohydrate, amino acids (BCAA), multivitamins and minerals, glutamine, caffeine, vitamin. B. ??????????????????/ :?: :?: :?: :?:
Just get ON 100% whey that is the best for what you want to do. Make a shake when you eat breakfast in the morning. Then make a shake while your working out. Dont worry about creatine atm, just get used to taking a shake and working out. And on the subject of soreness. You will be sore when you first start, but that should go away after about 3 days. Like they say, no pain, no gain.

You have to ask yourself, "do i want to get bigger", or "do I want to play soccer". See the problem is, unless your eating over 4000 calories a day, your not going to be able to gain weight and play soccer at the same time. Best thing to do would be to do your own soccer training, with the rippetoes workout program. On rippetoes you workout every other day.

dinho
Sophomore Member

okay i think i should do some research on making shakes or buying shakes first and lets just see from there.
the creatine and amino acids can wait, or i should talk to a nutritionist about these supplements.
any way thanks for all the advice guys

fr33k1ck
Veteran Member

dinho wrote:okay i think i should do some research on making shakes or buying shakes first and lets just see from there.
the creatine and amino acids can wait, or i should talk to a nutritionist about these supplements.
Yea, wait on the creatine. This is the stuff I was talking about, it tells you how to mix it and stuff on the jar. You can get it at GNC or you you can just order it online.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

dinho
Sophomore Member

fr33k1ck wrote:
dinho wrote:okay i think i should do some research on making shakes or buying shakes first and lets just see from there.
Yea, wait on the creatine. This is the stuff I was talking about, it tells you how to mix it and stuff on the jar. You can get it at GNC or you you can just order it online.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html
hey, i just went on that link. do you reckon i should buy the shakes or make my own?
thanks for the lookup