Quick Analysis of European v. North American Eating Habits

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 19 Aug 2008, 19:27

i was in Europe this summer and i must say, the Mcdonald's was a lot better there. the beef looked more brown than gray like it is here. the fries were about the same but less salt. they offer water (or mineral water) in bottles everywhere over there. and the vegetables on the burger seemed more fresh.

one thing i didn't like was the whole paying for the ketchup thing.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 19 Aug 2008, 19:31

First of all, I feel stalked by s11... And I LIKE IT. :P

Well, I know it seems trivial to us, but I like it in this way, even if that was not the intent: If I have to go out of my way to pay for something, usually, I will do my best not to even bother. Thus, less people will use ketchup or other condiments, and you're better off.

Outside of France, I once traveled to Switzerland. I dunno if it's just them, but DAMN. Their water is CHEAP and their soft drinks? EXPENSIVE. Cans of like, Fanta or Pepsi can run you upwards of a dollar or two, depending on where you shop, but water is dirt cheap.

And I agree with ya, vegetables seemed more fresh, but I live in Newfoundland, on an island, so to me... Anything from anywhere on the mainland of anywhere is fresh. :P

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 19 Aug 2008, 19:34

haha i was in romania, hungary and Austria. i ate mcdonalds in all 3 of those countries and i think that Austria had the best one.
and about ketchup, i really like it haha, not much else to say. I don't use too much, but i need a little to add some more taste to my fries.
and i also noticed the price of pop was a lot higher than water in fast food places though when you got to other places, they were about the same, at least in Vienna it was like that.

another thing i noticed, and i don't know if you did, but the burgers were a lot bigger

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 19 Aug 2008, 19:37

Haha, I get you, but the rationale could also be 'If you like it, you will pay a pittance for it... :P'

Oh yeah, they certainly were. A nice bit bigger. And much more brown too, you're right. You just don't know the difference until you've tried it. I would recommend it to anyone who goes to Europe on a trip to contrast the fast food places.
Last edited by Rome_Leader on 02 May 2010, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

All roads lead to Rome.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 19 Aug 2008, 19:40

definitely. i'm guessing they're probably healthier too. in Austria they even had a burger with sourkraut on it, i didn't try it though, i hate that stuff.

(somewhere S4L and Arsenalfc08 are plotting to kill us.)

messi19
Veteran Member

Post by messi19 » 19 Aug 2008, 19:52

soccer11 wrote:one thing i didn't like was the whole paying for the ketchup thing.
You had to pay for ketchup?!? I live in europe and I wont dont have to pay for ketchup or any other sauces lol.

But back to eurpean Mcdonalds. At my local Mcdonalds ive noticed everything is alot more fresher (Arsenal08 and BB are proberly going crazy lol) Ive noticed the last 2 years that there introducing fruit, water and yougurts. I think its great that Mcdonalds have suddenly thought "We'er getting a bad reputation of making people obese" so they heave starting providing all sorts of fruit and water and all other sorts of healthy food, including Tropicana juice! So Mcdonalds are sort of balancing out the burgers with fruit!

Ive never been to an American Mcdonalds and never experianced tasting your burgers, but I can tell you one thing, the burgers and apple pies in european Mcdonalds are delicious! Yum Yum!

I WRITE EVERYTHING FROM MY iPOD TOUCH!

chicagofirefan
Veteran Member

Post by chicagofirefan » 19 Aug 2008, 19:54

messi19 wrote:
soccer11 wrote:one thing i didn't like was the whole paying for the ketchup thing.
You had to pay for ketchup?!? I live in europe and I wont dont have to pay for ketchup or any other sauces lol.

But back to eurpean Mcdonalds. At my local Mcdonalds ive noticed everything is alot more fresher (Arsenal08 and BB are proberly going crazy lol) Ive noticed the last 2 years that there introducing fruit, water and yougurts. I think its great that Mcdonalds have suddenly thought "We'er getting a bad reputation of making people obese" so they heave starting providing all sorts of fruit and water and all other sorts of healthy food, including Tropicana juice! So Mcdonalds are sort of balancing out the burgers with fruit!

Ive never been to an American Mcdonalds and never experianced tasting your burgers, but I can tell you one thing, the burgers and apple pies in european Mcdonalds are delicious! Yum Yum!
1. The Mcdonalds in Europe are MUCH better then the ones in America :wink:

2. Yet the Apple Pies are amazing anywhere IMO :D
Bulgaria is our faith, Levski is our Freedom

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 19 Aug 2008, 20:01

A little off topic but still, this does little. The truly health conscious avoid McDonald's at all costs, and the majority only go BECAUSE they want burgers, fries and shakes. :P Me, I'm in the middle. I'm not a strict good eater, but I do recognize the benefits of, and take everything in stride. I would find my diet too boring if I ate all healthy foods, so I balance it out. That's how I am still able to enjoy lots of broccoli, potatoes and spinach and etc. And I'm still in fine shape.

Hence, I don't think either extreme is very healthy. You need to be balanced, like any good athlete. I guarantee you, no pro can never claim he hasn't picked up a burger or fries. (Just look at Lampard... Jokes, love ya Frank. ;))

Back on topic, for sure, European McDonald's are far better then their American counterparts, in more ways then one.

What part of Europe are you from, messi? That might have something to do with it.

All roads lead to Rome.

chicagofirefan
Veteran Member

Post by chicagofirefan » 19 Aug 2008, 20:03

Rome_Leader wrote:What part of Europe are you from, messi? That might have something to do with it.
He lives in England
Bulgaria is our faith, Levski is our Freedom

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 19 Aug 2008, 20:04

soccer11 wrote:definitely. i'm guessing they're probably healthier too. in Austria they even had a burger with sourkraut on it, i didn't try it though, i hate that stuff.

(somewhere S4L and Arsenalfc08 are plotting to kill us.)
I'm not plotting to kill you. It's your body, do whatever you want to it.

In reality European food/Mcdonalds is healthier. Europe has banned lots of additives and hydrogonated oils so there food is tons healtheir than us.

Plus as I pointed out in another post the western diet has been linked to causing colon cancer by 300%.

I haven't had fast food in months. Today I had chipotle but I don't consider that fast food lol. It is fast to prepare but I think its ok. The chicken is rasied without antibotics, and vegetarian fed. It was yummy, i love my burrito bowls.

messi19
Veteran Member

Post by messi19 » 19 Aug 2008, 20:09

chicagofirefan wrote:
Rome_Leader wrote:What part of Europe are you from, messi? That might have something to do with it.
He lives in England
I must add im half Portguese! :D

I WRITE EVERYTHING FROM MY iPOD TOUCH!

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 19 Aug 2008, 20:19

messi19 wrote:
yea, it was like...50 euro cents. it kind of made me do a double take.

and i know arsenal, i was only joking :lol:
i don't eat fast food often, i just wasn't a huge fan of most of the food there so i went with what i knew, and it ended up being a very good choice.

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Post by Nat_H » 19 Aug 2008, 20:33

arsenalfc08 wrote:Plus as I pointed out in another post the western diet has been linked to causing colon cancer by 300%.
Yeah but that's still like a 0.045% percent chance

arsenalfc08 wrote: I haven't had fast food in months. Today I had chipotle but I don't consider that fast food lol. It is fast to prepare but I think its ok. The chicken is rasied without antibotics, and vegetarian fed. It was yummy, i love my burrito bowls.
Chipotle is beast. 8)

I say again, "healthy" is sometimes a relative term. Look at Michael Phelps' diet, no one here could eat that much and not be obese in a few months. What may work for you may not work for others. Personally, I can eat fast food several times a month and be fine. I could cut it out and be in a little better shape/health, but it's not worth it sometimes.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 19 Aug 2008, 23:08

Nat_H wrote:
arsenalfc08 wrote:Plus as I pointed out in another post the western diet has been linked to causing colon cancer by 300%.
Yeah but that's still like a 0.045% percent chance

arsenalfc08 wrote: I haven't had fast food in months. Today I had chipotle but I don't consider that fast food lol. It is fast to prepare but I think its ok. The chicken is rasied without antibotics, and vegetarian fed. It was yummy, i love my burrito bowls.
Chipotle is beast. 8)

I say again, "healthy" is sometimes a relative term. Look at Michael Phelps' diet, no one here could eat that much and not be obese in a few months. What may work for you may not work for others. Personally, I can eat fast food several times a month and be fine. I could cut it out and be in a little better shape/health, but it's not worth it sometimes.
I know chipotle is the best. I love it, I could eat more than once a week, its addicting lol.

espana_27

Post by espana_27 » 10 Mar 2009, 00:00

were supposed to only eat what fits in our two palms when theyre together, thats what europe does.. americans come nowhere close to that.