Eating fast food for lunch?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Real_Zidane
Veteran Member
Posts: 1925
Joined: 11 Aug 2006, 17:36

Post

That's probably just for the Olympics. No way he could handle that much every day. Right now he's burning such a high amount of calories with all the trials and races he's doing so he can eat that much.
Image

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member
Posts: 460
Joined: 25 Jan 2008, 05:24

Post

I don't see the point of you having to write that first bit about the loss of sodium because that's what I was saying the whole time. In my first post, I was concentrating on the importance of sodium in athletes, and of course, glucose, the insulin generator.
Actually, there is a point, you only posted the importance, I think I posted what was needed, the loss and why and how you replenish the loss of sodium, while you only posted the importance, if your going to give advice about nutrition then do it properly because he’s asking for advice, not a theory based on opinion and then mumbo jumbo on singling out little ingredients to foods to prove your theory.
Well, I do agree with what you have to say in the second bit about the practices of athletes, but really, you can't deny that athletes (in all sports, even the big names) are known to drink and party every now and then, which indicates a bad habit, but they work it off right after and only use the drinking and partying as a mental boost for themselves in order to be ready and prepared (hopefully prepared) for training and what's ahead. I haven't heard of hypoglycemia, so I can't comment on that, but from the books I've read, they say in the first 4 hours after exercise glucose is very important in possibly a meal or a large amount for stimulating the insulin response, for optimal recovery. That's what all sport-related scientists are pondering about these days: how to be able to perform optimally.
Those athletes are professional elite level athletes not to mention, most of them are of age to drink, that’s the difference between you and them, they are pro and you’re still a kid, still trying to train to become pro... I’m pretty sure while they were training for trials and such they worked really hard, probably don’t or didn’t go near a morsel of junk food or alcohol for the matter. On that note, since they are elite athletes, they have trainers and nutrionists at their expense also they have remedies for their injuries and hangovers, while you don’t, so why not open up those ears and eyes of yours and learn more, knowledge is power, the more you know, the better it is.
I think you have to prove to me that build and metabolism and personal health doesn't make a difference in the way different foods affects our growth/health. From what I know, because the way the human body is designed (in different individuals I mean), the digestive system is designed to digest food in the best possible manner and to get the most out of it (nutrients), while turning the remainder into waste and sending it to be excreted. Because all humans are different, the ability to absorb nutrients, and sometimes a specific nutrient, can vary upon individual. Food takes about 35 hours to fully digest, but it is proven that it varies between people, thus supporting my argument. However, they have not yet found a way to test whether or not a food is fully consumed before it is digested, or if the nutrients are drawn out fully from a food.
I think you already know that, build and metabolism and personal health do affect and make a difference but it doesn’t make any excuse for an athlete to eat crappy, just stop making excuses, for god sake..Of course ones metabolism increases the way it processes rates of different kinds of food and yes body types/builds do make a huge difference, like say someone with a more muscular body type can of course eat different foods that will make their bodies react differently .Its like Rome_ leader says, It’s like drinking and being huge, as opposed to drinking, and being 110 lbs! Major difference, this isn’t rocket science. The body has physiological mechanisms for lipolysis and lip genesis which are activated by hormones; hormones released as much by the quality and timing of what is eaten as by the quantity.What more important is that, anabolism and catabolism are as affected by the body's environment as much as they are by nutrient intake. Do glycogen stores need to be replenished? Is there cellular damage that needs to be repaired? Yes, and those are the only reason glycogen is used. As I stated how and why in the above posts.
Really, in the fast food chart, it really doesn't explain the separation between fats and sugars, what type of sugar it is (like in some sports drinks they have "commercial" ingredients, in order words useless ingredients), and the calories match that of a standard meal (1000-1200 calories). The amount of carbs it posts is also limited, so therefore your "spike" has a good chance of not even happening. Plus human tolerance also plays a factor as the human body learns to endure with each experience, so your "spike" can also decrease with time, to a point where the damage is too small/non-existant. Free-radicals, a term actually more used in prolonged muscle fatigue, is something I'm familiar with, so where exactly would the free radicals form? In the end, the stuff about blood pressure, tissues, and related vary from person to person, because of the way they intake foods.
First of all who would honestly, read a fast food chart, and why would explain the separation between fats and sugars, and what types of sugars it has, if it did the companies would run out of business, and no one would actually take advice from a McDonalds chart either especially if you’re an athlete. Yeah I agree with the sports drinks they are just as much mass marketed but a true athlete would know which drinks are more helpful then the other because they want an optimal performance, but the sports drinks are more helpful to your body then a big Mac meal and I think S4L and AFC said that it matters more where the calories are coming from than just eating up to add to ones calorie intake but what would help you more a big mac meal or a crappy sports drink that may help restore the fluids’ back into your body through exercise, really what part of a big mac can do that for you?.The amounts of carbs are not limited, and my “Spike” has a better chance of happening, then you bulking up on a fast-food included diet. So if “human tolerance play a factor as the human body learns to endure with experience” then your weakening your immune system by eating crap, its basically malnutrition and your body’s immune system and personal health will affect it ,such as iron and vitamin deficiency your saying that eating a big mac meal wont give you that? If you continue to have big macs and pop and all the other crap that you mention? Of course you will have side affects that includes your personal health really from your skin, to your body and I think I already explained a tiny bit of it already and maybe you need to see “supersize” me. It will all catch up in time, and may have other factors that affect your play also if the body is to tolerate and endure crappy foods, it will just weaken your immune system not strengthen it, another reason to not eat junk food really. Yeah my “Spike” will decrease in time, but it will cause damage, your body will be tired and fatigued so the damage is existent, and let me point that out, coning your body like that is really unnecessary as an athlete and let me point out, that I posted the reason why you would need a high glycogen levels in order to produce energy, and that it is mostly done during game prep time and that and its also done properly.
Free Radicals

What they are: very reactive molecules which can seriously damage cell structure; they are the cause or one of the main causes of various disorders and diseases and also stimulate aging

How they form: Oxygen is important for the human being to survive, but it can become an enemy to the human body and of some specific structures in particular. Free radicals, very reactive substances which are harmful for our health can originate from oxygen, consequently free radicals are produced in much greater amounts in those who practice physical exercise and therefore consume more oxygen. Other factors can stimulate the production of these molecules which includes air pollution, smoking, ionizing radiation(including sun radiation),some drugs, FATS in foods, alcohol etc
And for the last bit, I'm saying potato chips are bad. I avoid them most of the time (I have a small 50g bag every 6 months or so). I know all the nutrients are gone after its gone through its processing. I don't see why you didn't understand what I was saying and had to go to all that trouble just to "prove me wrong", while I was adding something interesting for futbol26 to know.
Well firstly you said it was to support your argument, secondly it seemed that “adding something interesting for futbol26 to know” was to convey your message across, I mean are what was the point for that, do you cradle it? Do you need it? Does it help your bodily functions run smoothly? He wants to know if it eating out is bad or good, if it will help him with gaining his six pack, or if he can do this another way not “interesting facts” about tiny little things in food. Food is either good or bad, it can’t be both. It can be used for different things but it’s a yes or no topic
But like I said before, glucose is only useful because it stimulates the insulin response in the first 4 hours at a high rate, after that complex carbs are far more effective. If you're saying whole wheat digests slower, then the glucose isn't released in time and is useless. I'll read your guide when it’s posted.
Yeah,I know that, I said glycogen is used to restore muscle tissues, and carbohydrates that have been lost in exercise but that doesn’t make it okay to have white carbs and the other things you said on a regular basis, I just proved it, yeah I know whole wheat digests slower that’s why I posted this
* Low GI carbs prolong physical endurance
* High GI carbs help re-fuel carbohydrate stores after exercise
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again
Image

NewBornProdigy
Admin
Posts: 2695
Joined: 23 May 2008, 19:51

Post

all i know, and its probably bin said

but the reason you shouldn't eat Micky D's, Burger K or KFC is because the huge amount of salt and fat

but fat is good if its non saturate fat

but if its saturated fat (which is in all the sauces and meat of the burgers) this will leave you drained of energy and feeling heavy and bloated

the reason?
because it is a type of fat that takes longer to digest, alot less of it actually gets digested (so you are carrying around a lovely big muond of fat in your belly)
what does get digested is a certain wobbly fat we call celutide, this is a fat that is very hard to be broken down into nutrients (so if you were gonna go into hibernation this would be great) it takes alot longer to be dissolved into fatty acid (the way fat gets burned) and this fat gathers and sags your skin
also since there is very little nutrients in this fat when it does get dissolved it releases a few carbs, few sugar and loads of salt
the more salt you eat and the more fatty this fat gets

but if you eat healthy fat, like the fat of cream it will be burned very quick because it is a sugar based fat, and this fat is alot less abundant and hidden, so you can look fit and healthy and still have a high body fat ratio
which isn't always good, but sometimes nessacary

but since people think its alright to eat some MD after say playing a game, your wrong, even if you have a massive metabolism it will take too long for these saturated fats to proccess and be effective enough to replace old nutrients

also subway is not a good alternate for a fast food restuarnt
in one chicken reggae subway sandwich there is as much salt as 9 PACKETS OF READY SALTED WALKERS CRISP'S (lay's in america and europe)

which as you can tell all that ain't a good thing :shock:

i'd say once every 2 weeks would be acceptable, but everyday? no

freestylejordan
Junior Member
Posts: 74
Joined: 25 Apr 2008, 07:08

Post

Wow go buzzingbee ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Showing everyone up in the nutrition knowledge department :)

Oh and newbornprodigy I think as well as saturated fat there is trans fat and a whole lot of other parts that are no good (although some are very hard to avoid)

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member
Posts: 460
Joined: 25 Jan 2008, 05:24

Post

Well Freestylejordan it depends it isn't that hard to avoid but yeah imo it comes from most processed foods,just avoid crap food,think will this give me energy for the next training session or will it set me back a training session? and NewBornProdigy,don't you agree with me that as an athlete you should avoid junk food all together?

I try my best to avoid these two:,like almost everything's processed but i try the whole fresh obsessed thing you know?

artificial trans fats from margarine's, shortening, and hydrogenated oils that are in most processed foods

high fructose corn syrup, which is in almost all sweetened products on the market
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again
Image

canadianfootballer
Senior Member
Posts: 104
Joined: 26 Dec 2007, 22:03

Post

just go to subway if you cant get a homemade lunch buy a less than 6 grams of fat sub and get a fresh fit meal along with it instead of fried chips get baked there ARE healthy options there u just have to be smart and look at the nutrition chart they have in the restaurant they are required by law to have it

MUFC1994
Veteran Member
Posts: 1227
Joined: 30 Jun 2008, 17:30

Post

i have like about 2 subway sandwiches amonth....i eat it on wheat with turkey and a bunch of veggies is that healthy or not......the rest of my diet is really healthy tho.
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

soccer11
Admin
Posts: 4870
Joined: 24 Feb 2005, 23:40
Location: Michigan, USA

Post

MUFC1994 wrote:i have like about 2 subway sandwiches amonth....i eat it on wheat with turkey and a bunch of veggies is that healthy or not......the rest of my diet is really healthy tho.
yea dude. subway is healthy if you eat it right. thats pretty much what mine looks like too when i get a sandwich from there
Image

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod
Posts: 3028
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 22:03

Post

Again, how they mostly get you is with the condiments. If you stay away from those, you can cut a lot of fat and stuff off your sub. It isn't hard... Plain yellow mustard and vinaigrettes = good and anything creamy or sweet like mayonnaise, BBQ sauce, sweet honey mustard or etc. can be presumed to be bad for you. You can add a lot of calories with sauces like that.

soccer11
Admin
Posts: 4870
Joined: 24 Feb 2005, 23:40
Location: Michigan, USA

Post

i've been to some subway's that have fat free mayo so i think if they have that, then it'd be ok to put a little of that on.
Image

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod
Posts: 3028
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 22:03

Post

soccer11 wrote:i've been to some subway's that have fat free mayo so i think if they have that, then it'd be ok to put a little of that on.
It's not just the fat, but the empty calories as well, but yeah, in moderation, nothing is bad.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2117
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post

soccer11 wrote:i've been to some subway's that have fat free mayo so i think if they have that, then it'd be ok to put a little of that on.
fat free just means they add tons of more sugar. check fat free mayo in the store and compare it to regular mayo if you don't believe me.

Even if it doesn't have fat the extra sugar will pack on the pounds. Well really any sugar in excess will put pounds on. Like people who drink loads of sugar soda. I saw a chart once where if you drink more than 1 regular soda a day by the end of teh year you'll gain something like 5-10 pounds.

Juve
Senior Member
Posts: 157
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 17:54

Post

fast food is bad, even subway is, i dont know if some people from the uk saw that program on bbc 3 but they found in the subway meals and all that sh*t like boots, marks and spencers which all proudly say its healthy food, they dont state everything on the cover they compared it with each other and found that subway had the worse salt about 63% more than the 2nd worse

soccer11
Admin
Posts: 4870
Joined: 24 Feb 2005, 23:40
Location: Michigan, USA

Post

arsenalfc08 wrote:
soccer11 wrote:i've been to some subway's that have fat free mayo so i think if they have that, then it'd be ok to put a little of that on.
fat free just means they add tons of more sugar. check fat free mayo in the store and compare it to regular mayo if you don't believe me.

Even if it doesn't have fat the extra sugar will pack on the pounds. Well really any sugar in excess will put pounds on. Like people who drink loads of sugar soda. I saw a chart once where if you drink more than 1 regular soda a day by the end of teh year you'll gain something like 5-10 pounds.
you may or may not believe me (don't really care either way) but you're wrong. I have kraft light and kraft fat free both in my house and there's only .1 g of sugar more in the fat free than in the light.
Image

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2117
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post

soccer11 wrote:
arsenalfc08 wrote:
soccer11 wrote:i've been to some subway's that have fat free mayo so i think if they have that, then it'd be ok to put a little of that on.
fat free just means they add tons of more sugar. check fat free mayo in the store and compare it to regular mayo if you don't believe me.

Even if it doesn't have fat the extra sugar will pack on the pounds. Well really any sugar in excess will put pounds on. Like people who drink loads of sugar soda. I saw a chart once where if you drink more than 1 regular soda a day by the end of teh year you'll gain something like 5-10 pounds.
you may or may not believe me (don't really care either way) but you're wrong. I have kraft light and kraft fat free both in my house and there's only .1 g of sugar more in the fat free than in the light.
ok i guess its not the same for everything but generally fat free means more sugar. maybe its more for actual food. I don't think mayo is generally high in sugar but i've heard nutrition people always say "low fat just means more sugar" bascially because people will see "no fat" or "low fat" and think its healthier but there really isn't a big difference, the companies put more sugar or sodium in there to replace the fat or whatever they took out.

But still i would use condiments sparingly. Its not really worth the extra calories or fat. There is a new mayo that i like from hellmanns, its made with canola oil and is cholestrol free. I don't use mayo a lot really only when i'm making chicken salad, but i like using this, it seems healthier lol. Yes it has more fat but oils like canola and olive oil are healthy fats, very figure friendly.

I'm just fine with turkey and some lettuce on a sandwich, i don't feel the need for condiments but I guess some people use them because they feel its to dry?

Last edit i promise lol. If your at Subway or at home and want a sandwich always go for whole wheat or bread with a lot of whole grains. It is a lot healthier than eating a sandwich on enriched white bread. When I was younger I always wanted a peanut butter sandwich on white bread, it would make my mom so mad because she wanted me to eat it on wheat. But I couldn't because it tasted different lol, if only I knew waht I knew now lol, good times.

I lied, on more. Anyone been to Chipotle? Love it. I don't know if I would consider it fast food, but its so good and great espeically if your looking for a filling meal or a carb load lol. Rice,chicken (i like the chicken) beans, its great with the protein,fiber etc that you get. Great place to eat.

Post Reply