Eating fast food for lunch?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
futbol26
New User

Now that I'm a junior, I can legally leave campus for lunch. Problem is, I'm working on training, and more importantly, a six-pack. :)

Everyone goes out to lunch, every day. There's a choice between these places:
McDonald's
KFC
Pizza Hut
Hardee's
Subway
Family restaurant

What are some good choices from these restaurants?
Can I still get my abs toned and eat out every day, or is there some other way I should do this?

soccer11
Admin

well getting a six pack isn't just about what you eat. it's how much you work out also. of course, you'd want to stay away from mcdonalds and things like that anyways. subway's good, pizza hut can be ok, depending on what you get (i suggest a thin crust pizza) KFC, you might want to stay away from but it won't kill you.
i'd say your best bet is subway.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Yeah s11, but it's far more about diet then exercise, as most will tell you. All exercise will do is make your abs strong and a little bigger, but it will do little to force them through the fat.

That being said, the more muscle you have overall, the more fat you burn while active OR while resting, so that's nothing against exercise. Also, if you have a high metabolism, you can afford to eat out and you will not notice yourself putting on weight, as a fair number of people do.

However, bottom line is... You aren't doing yourself any favours. :P

As for choices.. Yeah, go Subway. But go lean meats, maybe forget the cheese, and use mustard, not mayo when you can. Conscious choices man, conscious choices. ;)

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

You won't be getting a six pack easily by eating fast food everyday. In order to get a six pack most people have to burn off a layer or more of fat over your abs, eating fast food will not help you in anyway. Fast food is loaded with fat and unnessecary calories. I'm sorry but thats just sick eating it everday.

I'm probably the minority around here but fast food sickens me, its nasty. Your best bet would be Subway and even then choose lean meats (turkey,chicken), whole wheat bread,lettuce,tomato, no condiments and water.

If I was you and really serious about getting fit, sixpack and training i'd make my own lunch. I realize it may be the "un cool" thing to do but i'd rather make my own lunch than eat cheap food.

I'm not trying to be mean but are you really going to go out to eat fast food 5 days a week?

I got to leave for lunch my junior/senior year. I went home,ate, and took a quick nap. All my friends were going out to fast food places but I went home did some homework, took a nap,etc all in 45 minutes.

It's probably because i''m a girl and for some reason I think girls are more health concious on some things. Eating fast food everyday along with at least one sugary pop will pack on the pounds. Not to mention won't it make you feel sluggish when your training? I know people who would eat fast food before training for any sport and always feel like sh*t.

I'm not saying you can't eat fast food, its your life, but I just don't care for it. Don't eat it everday.
Last edited by arsenalfc08 on 13 Aug 2008, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Are you dissing on MUSTARD AFC? :o Ain't nothing wrong with straight yellow mustard! :P

But yeah, it is tasty, but I've trained myself to just not need it pretty much at all. Don't let anyone tell you, eating well is 90% psychological. Not only because you have to really WANT to quit it, but think about what he's saying... All his friends go to these places for lunch. It's like, a social thing to talk and stuff at these fast food places. If everyone's going there and he's not, it gets to you socially too. DAMN COOPERATE AMERICA/CANADA. :P

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Rome_Leader wrote:Are you dissing on MUSTARD AFC? :o Ain't nothing wrong with straight yellow mustard! :P

But yeah, it is tasty, but I've trained myself to just not need it pretty much at all. Don't let anyone tell you, eating well is 90% psychological. Not only because you have to really WANT to quit it, but think about what he's saying... All his friends go to these places for lunch. It's like, a social thing to talk and stuff at these fast food places. If everyone's going there and he's not, it gets to you socially too. DAMN COOPERATE AMERICA/CANADA. :P
I understand that part, but if hes serious about training he can make sacrifices. You can bring your own lunch and eat it on the way to where ever your friends are going. You won't be able to bring your lunch in with you though, i think most places would have some type of outdoor seating, maybe you could get away with it then.

I guess i'm just different. I look at food as fuel more than anything.

I guess i am dissing condiments, i don't see the need for them just empty calories. Again I think i'm the minority but I think S4L would agree, shes into all the healty stuff like me LOL.

soccer11
Admin

also, wouldn't it start getting expensive eating out everyday?

futbol26
New User

My parents pay for it, heh.

I live ten miles from where I go to school, so I guess I could drive home, but it'd be expensive and time-consuming.

I think I'll go with what you suggested though, and bring my lunch when I can. I have a decently high metabolism, and I'm pretty thin, (stomach fat is all that's left ><) so I should be able to go once a week, maybe.

Thanks for all the help. It wasn't too hard to make up my mind.
It seemed like a huge problem when I was trying decide by myself. xD

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

The expense was not her point... How can you stand fast food for 5/7 days a week?! :P

soccer11
Admin

Rome_Leader wrote:The expense was not her point... How can you stand fast food for 5/7 days a week?! :P
i know but i was making a completely unrelated post.

messi19
Veteran Member

Rome_Leader wrote:The expense was not her point... How can you stand fast food for 5/7 days a week?! :P
I know lol. Wouldnt he feel sick after a while?!?!
I suppose if you ate chicken wraps from KFC it would be alright :lol:

I WRITE EVERYTHING FROM MY iPOD TOUCH!

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

futbol26 wrote:My parents pay for it, heh.

I live ten miles from where I go to school, so I guess I could drive home, but it'd be expensive and time-consuming.
Expensive and time consuming? 10 miles is in a car is time consuming?. Expenisve, no. It maybe more expensive to buy the food to make your own lunch but it in terms of quality and health how couldn't you?

I guess you already made up your mind. 5 days a week is rediculous, didn't you ever watch Supersize Me? Did you see how he ended up? (Don't say oh it was just Mcdonalds, there all the same).

I looked at Wendy's website, if you get a Mandrian Chicken Salad with a medium Coke here is the total

Fat- 25.0g

Calories- 740

Sodium- 1260mg

Carbs- 105

Sugars- 87

A 1/4lb burger, medium fries, and medium Coke from Wendy's

Fat- 40.0g

Calories- 1060

Saturated fat- 10g

Sodium- 1240 (not counting the extra salt you/they put on the fries)

http://www.wendys.com/food/Nutrition.jsp

5 days a week, that sounds really yummy :? heart attack waiting to happen.

Notice that was only a 1/4 lb burger, i'm sure most guys go for the double. 40g of fat in one meal is soo horrible, you should only eat a maximum of 50gs of fat a day.

messi19
Veteran Member

arsenalfc08 wrote:

Expensive and time consuming? 10 miles is in a car is time consuming?. Expenisve, no. It maybe more expensive to buy the food to make your own lunch but it in terms of quality and health how couldn't you?

I guess you already made up your mind. 5 days a week is rediculous, didn't you ever watch Supersize Me? Did you see how he ended up? (Don't say oh it was just Mcdonalds, there all the same).

I looked at Wendy's website, if you get a Mandrian Chicken Salad with a medium Coke here is the total

Fat- 25.0g

Calories- 740

Sodium- 1260mg

Carbs- 105

Sugars- 87

Fat- 40.0g

Calories- 1060

Saturated fat- 10g

Notice that was only a 1/4 lb burger, i'm sure most guys go for the double. 40g of fat in one meal is soo horrible, you should only eat a maximum of 50gs of fat a day.
I must point out, he did say that he was VERY thin. I realise its still very bad to eat like that even if your thin. Maybe hes trying to put some wait on? I dont know, but he is going the wrong way of eating at lunch time.
I dont want to sound like a "Mom" but he will get very porley if he keeps eating Wendy's and Mcdonalds.

I WRITE EVERYTHING FROM MY iPOD TOUCH!

futbol26
New User

I think I'll go with what you suggested though, and bring my lunch when I can. I have a decently high metabolism, and I'm pretty thin, (stomach fat is all that's left ><) so I should be able to go once a week, maybe.
I'm not actually eating out every day. I was considering it, but decided not to, as I posted before.

And by time-consuming, I meant that it would take up twenty minutes of lunch time just driving to and from my house. I'd be left with about twenty-some minutes to eat. Not bad, but it's still kinda short, especially if I have homework or other stuff to do.

So, yeah. I think I'll go once a week. I like Subway better than any other restaurant anyway. Make my parents happy, too. :)

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

messi19 wrote:
arsenalfc08 wrote:

Fat- 25.0g

Calories- 740

Sodium- 1260mg

Carbs- 105

Sugars- 87

Fat- 40.0g

Calories- 1060

Saturated fat- 10g

I must point out, he did say that he was VERY thin. I realise its still very bad to eat like that even if your thin. Maybe hes trying to put some wait on? I dont know, but he is going the wrong way of eating at lunch time.
I dont want to sound like a "Mom" but he will get very porley if he keeps eating Wendy's and Mcdonalds.
Realize that some people are in really good shape even if they eat poorly (I've been fine off for the past 15 years of my life, and I've been skinny too). They failed to mentioned in the score of calories the distribution between elements such as carbs (specifically which carbs), sodium, and protein. If you subtract the amount of carbs given off by these three important elements of food, then you'll actually get the amount of carbs supplied by the fat and the so-called "garbage" in some fast food restaurants.

Alot of people are constantly on the run. People like me don't even have 15 minutes to spare in their day to prepare lunch, and this is why fast-food has always been so popular. Food is needed for energy throughout the day, and unless you are completely overweighing your calorie (and fat) intakes, a fast-food meal a day is fine when it's balanced with a healthy breakfast (cereal, toast, waffles. mmm waffles) and a supportive dinner needed to replenish lost electrolytes and body composition during the daytime.