Acceleration and Agility

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

These speed and agility drills are designed to improve your speed off the mark, agility and acceleration.

For a multi-sprint sport such as football absolute speed is not the most important factor. Speed off the mark, acceleration and agility are.

Instructions

1. Warm up thoroughly. Speed and agility drills may not leave you out of breath but they do put considerable strain on your body

2. Speed and agility drills should be performed either on separate days to other training or at the start of a training session after the warm up.

3. You will gain most benefit from these speed and agility drills if you have previously developed a solid strength and power base.

4. A typical session may consist of approximately 5 sets of 10 repetitions (each sprint being 1 repetition). Work to rest ratio should be 1:5 i.e. a 5 second sprint should be followed by a 25 second recovery period.

5.Choose 2 or 3 of the speed and agility drills below to make up the session, keeping to the recommended number of sets and repetitions.

6.To really benifit from this you will have to do this 3-5 times a week, it takes some commitment.

Speed And Agility Drills

1. Basic Sprints

Set 2 cones out 10-20 metres apart. Sprint from one cone to the next and slowly jog back to the start. Simple enough

2. Rolling Start

Exactly the same as above except you jog for 10 metres before sprinting. This drill is specifically designed to enhance acceleration rather than speed off the mark. Try running backwards or side stepping aswell just to mix it up.

3. Up Hill Sprints

In competition the first few strides are crucial. Running up a slight hill (about 30 degrees) helps to develop power and acceleration. Keep the distances short (10-15 metres) and allow extra rest between sets and reps as it is much more demanding.

4. Down Hill Sprints (Over speed training)

Down hill speed and agility drills help to develop leg speed and co-ordination. This is sometimes referred to as over-speed training. Keep the distance short (10-15 metres) and make sure the hill is only slight or you'll end up doing a Klinsmann http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Bx8Jc2HrQ

5. Hollow Sprints

Set 5 cones out in 30 metres intervals. Sprint 30 metres, jog 30 metres, sprint 30 metres and jog 30 metres to the final cone. Walk back to the start and repeat.

6. Cruise And Sprint

Mark out a distance of 100 metres(or use a track if it is available) From the start gradually accelerate to reach full speed at about 60 metres. Sprint all out for the final 40 metres.

Reduce the number of repetitions for this exercise as it takes longer to complete.

7. The Snake

Set up a series of 6-8 cones in a straight line about 1 metre apart. Weave in and out of the cones, turn and weave back to the start.

8. Follow The Leader

A training partner and large area is required for this drill.(half a football pitch or the inside of the 18yard box for tighter turns) Have your training partner jog, run and sprint randomly over the area. You must try to shadow them as closely as possible. This is an excellent drill that helps to develop reaction time, agility, acceleration and speed endurance. (depending how fit your partner is :lol: )

Why not give it a go?
Last edited by ScottyBoy on 16 May 2008, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

the CTRL-C CTRL-V button sure works wonders..

David_93

It's a good guide, I think I'll use the drills and tips this summer. I espesially liked the tidy writing.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

David_93 wrote:It's a good guide, I think I'll use the drills and tips this summer. I espesially liked the tidy writing.
thanks, too me ages to do, tried to make it easy to read, glad someone liked it :wink:
Last edited by ScottyBoy on 15 May 2008, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

ianthai123
Sophomore Member

Nice and Simple

| Ian Thai | #Desire #Dedication #Discipline

Anymi
Veteran Member

Does it work though?

ianthai123
Sophomore Member

Anymi wrote:Does it work though?
Yeah true I always wonder the same thing for many guides here

| Ian Thai | #Desire #Dedication #Discipline

Wanderer
Veteran Member

nah it doesn't, unless you actually do it

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

haha true, reading it wont make you any quicker you actually have to do it :wink:

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

Juve

give us a stamina one thats what we all need

deadwrong
New User

Great guide, I look forward to giving it a go tomorrow.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Juve wrote:give us a stamina one thats what we all need

you'll take this and you'll like it :cry:

but seriously, improving stamina is much easier... run :P

deano7

Yer that is a good easy guide nice one! im looking to rest up for a few days then go into long distance running then im gonna start training my speed ill use this guide for guidance! cheers
Never Criticise your own ability.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

deadwrong wrote:Great guide, I look forward to giving it a go tomorrow.
anyone given it a go yet :?:

any feedback :roll:

dhs

i tried it out today it was great i could feel it as i got into the drills more and more i look forward to continuing