Am I over training?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Nevergiveup
Junior Member
Posts: 87
Joined: 28 May 2007, 17:44

Post

Hey everybody!

My workouts are becoming quite intense and I am improving a lot strength wise but I need two, three sometimes even 4 rest days after. My diet is good, so should I tone down my workouts, so I take less time to recovery? The long time to recovery is really incovenient meaning I can only workout a maximum of 2 times per week but normally only 1 now.

Heres what I do in my upperbody (can't do lowerbody coz revovering from overuse injury):

Pressups x50 x4 sets
Situps x50 4 sets
Reverse Crunches x30 4 sets
Back Extensions (supermans) x30 4 sets

My muscles feel sore the day after which I believe is normal after a workout ?! But his tends to go on so I have to rest for a long time. What can I do about this and I don;t want diet supplements! Should I reduce my workout or alter it some how?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

NEVERGIVEUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess
Posts: 2068
Joined: 30 Jun 2006, 22:00
Location: USA

Post

You say your diet is good, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved at all. Try consuming protein as soon as possible after workouts. Lean meats are really good, especially fish. Make sure to re-hydrate after as well, water should work fine as long as you're having a meal within an hour. My post workout meal is either a fruit smoothie with Whey protein or grilled salmon with vegetables or a salad.

If you're improving during your workouts, then I would keep it up for a few more weeks. You generally need to change your workout after 4-6 weeks to force your body to adapt to different things. Remember that the traditional method of training with sets of reps isn't the only way to train. You can superset exercises, do circuits, or do interval training.

If you're body is extremely sore, try taking an extended period of rest before continuing to work out. Just because all soreness is gone doesn't mean that the effects of your training aren't still taxing your body, and soreness isn't a good judge of how prepared your body is for another workout.

Also, make sure to perform a proper warm-up and cool-down after each session. A good warm-up should be a less intense version of your workout with joint movements and muscular stretches.

Read this information on delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS):
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0700.htm
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/doms.htm

deano7
Senior Member
Posts: 234
Joined: 23 Dec 2005, 23:56
Location: Reading, England

Post

Do a better recovery, a milkshake within 10 mins of finishing training. Have an ice bath etc...
Never Criticise your own ability.

unknown
Senior Member
Posts: 177
Joined: 27 Sep 2007, 01:54

Post

deano7 wrote:Do a better recovery, a milkshake within 10 mins of finishing training. Have an ice bath etc...
an ice bath is not a good idea cuz u'll just damage ure nerves.

ianthai123
Sophomore Member
Posts: 38
Joined: 24 Apr 2008, 10:25

Post

unknown wrote:
deano7 wrote:Do a better recovery, a milkshake within 10 mins of finishing training. Have an ice bath etc...
an ice bath is not a good idea cuz u'll just damage ure nerves.
Actually it makes you recover faster,
and having a cold bath increases memory so it doesn't damage nerves

Except dont put your head in :P

| Ian Thai | #Desire #Dedication #Discipline

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2117
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post

unknown wrote:
deano7 wrote:Do a better recovery, a milkshake within 10 mins of finishing training. Have an ice bath etc...
an ice bath is not a good idea cuz u'll just damage ure nerves.
lol no it won't. When I ran cross country we had ice bath's all the time, some people even went all the way in (laid down in the bath), I just stood in it for 10-15 minutes, it really helps.

David_93
Senior Member
Posts: 260
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 11:50

Post

Isn't it really freesing? Is a warm bath just as good? I hate to bath or shower in cold water.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2117
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post

David_93 wrote:Isn't it really freesing? Is a warm bath just as good? I hate to bath or shower in cold water.
It's very cold, kind of a shock at first, but you get used to it quickly. We would wear these feet cover things on our feet because the metal tub would sting them.

It really is benifical.

David_93
Senior Member
Posts: 260
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 11:50

Post

I just read that you should only take a ice bath with your legs in, then your upperbody isn't cold. Because of when you run use you mostly your legs, and it's there you are tired.

But how much ice should I use? And what is good to take a bath in? I have a ordery bath tub but that is maybe too big.

If you really don't like the cold, it's fine to go in the tub wearing running tights or sweatpants and a sweatshirt or towel (wrapped around your upper body). You'll still get the same benefits. From: http://running.about.com/od/injuryrecov ... cebath.htm

I think I will do that, because I hate cold!

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2117
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post

David_93 wrote:I just read that you should only take a ice bath with your legs in, then your upperbody isn't cold. Because of when you run use you mostly your legs, and it's there you are tired.

But how much ice should I use? And what is good to take a bath in? I have a ordery bath tub but that is maybe too big.

If you really don't like the cold, it's fine to go in the tub wearing running tights or sweatpants and a sweatshirt or towel (wrapped around your upper body). You'll still get the same benefits. From: http://running.about.com/od/injuryrecov ... cebath.htm

I think I will do that, because I hate cold!
Of course wear your shorts lol, just wear what you did to work out in minuses your shoes and socks. You can use a regular bath tub, fill it with cold water. Have you seen those big gatorade containers that are used on the sidlines at sports games for the players? Thats what we used, filled up the whole thing with ice, let it sit for a few minutes, then got in for 10-15 minutes. I would probably find a regular bucket and fill that up 2-3 times with ice. Our trainer determined if it was cold enough, he would add more ice mostly to just piss us off lol, we even ate ice cubes (not out of the water) as we were sitting in there lol just something to do.

Hope that makes sense.

David_93
Senior Member
Posts: 260
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 11:50

Post

Thanks, but where do you get all the ice from? And I read in a study, that ice bath should contain 12-15 degress celsius, with the best result, is it really necessary with ice then?

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2117
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post

David_93 wrote:Thanks, but where do you get all the ice from? And I read in a study, that ice bath should contain 12-15 degress celsius, with the best result, is it really necessary with ice then?
I don't know if you'll be able to get it to 12-15 degrees, but i'd try to get it as close as possible. Use the coldest tub water you can get, then put the ice in.

You can go to pretty much any grocery store and get those big bags of ice, ones that people use to put in coolers for parties and such. Get a few bags of those, use it quickly though so it doesn't melt.

messi19
Veteran Member
Posts: 883
Joined: 21 Mar 2008, 05:36

Post

I think I might try the ice bath, because ive suffered quite alot of injuries to my bones and muscles. I normally have a hot bath with muscle relaxing bubble bath to help my muscles and bones when they are feeling sore and stiff. does the ice bath really help though? I only want to try it if im 100% sure that it will make my bones and muscles feel alot better and less stiff and sore.
Image

Image

I WRITE EVERYTHING FROM MY iPOD TOUCH!

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2117
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post

messi19 wrote:I think I might try the ice bath, because ive suffered quite alot of injuries to my bones and muscles. I normally have a hot bath with muscle relaxing bubble bath to help my muscles and bones when they are feeling sore and stiff. does the ice bath really help though? I only want to try it if im 100% sure that it will make my bones and muscles feel alot better and less stiff and sore.
It does help sorness. After my cross country team would do a hard workout, a long run, or have a big meet on the weekend, we would have an ice bath. It really helps as it can cover all of your leg and not just certain parts of it that you would use a bag of ice for.

However, if you just have little pains like shin pain or something then I would suggest just puting a bag of frozen vegetables on it for 10-15 minutes. Yes, frozen vegetables, the bag works best because it doesn't slide around like a bag of ice cubes would. You can put it back in the freezer when your done. I had knee tendinitis many times during my cross country days and the trainer would tell me to use frozen vegetables rather than bags of ice as it covers more of the area and as I said, it doesn't slide around. You can set it on the area and not have to worry about it sliding off or something, just prop your leg up and turn on the tv or something lol.

messi19
Veteran Member
Posts: 883
Joined: 21 Mar 2008, 05:36

Post

Thanks for the advice!
Image

Image

I WRITE EVERYTHING FROM MY iPOD TOUCH!

Post Reply